Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 3/21/2015 10:28:23 PM EDT
So I thought I would put together a post showing our garden progress as we start over from scratch. It's going to take Me several posts over the next day or two to get it all caught up the where We actually are now. Then will come the planting tip's for all the new Vegetables, and fruit going in, so bear with Me please.

Fifteen years ago we set this garden up and over the last few years without fences the deer have decided it was their personal salad bar. So after the last few years we basically gave up gardening since the deer ate or trampled everything we planted. So my wife told me either put up a fence or no garden.  Since the no garden part was not an option it was a fence....  Beings as everything was in need of replacing after 15 years I decided it was time for a major overhaul.  Something that wouldn't give out in another 15 years when I was not capable of rebuilding it.

Here are some before shots, This is last year,

Time to bring in some heavy equipment,

Here are some pictures from during the major part of the renovation,

And about where We left off last year, all in all, it was 15 tons of stack block, and about 15 tons of dirt and rock hauled to the neighbors house for fill,

Link Posted: 3/21/2015 10:52:34 PM EDT
[#1]
Some pic's of the fence,

There was so much rock, and dirt to separate, I got tired of screening it, so I built the Trommelizer.

Link Posted: 3/22/2015 7:06:20 AM EDT
[#2]
Nice work!  Looking forward to the next installment(s).
Link Posted: 3/22/2015 7:52:50 AM EDT
[#3]
Holy spit, thats a butt load of good looking work you put in...........
Link Posted: 3/22/2015 8:26:44 AM EDT
[#4]
Damn!! That is some awesome work and excellent planning. Only thing I didn't see was drainage in the block walls.

Looking forward to the rest of the build.
Link Posted: 3/24/2015 10:18:42 AM EDT
[#5]
There is crushed rock and drain tile behind every wall, all coming down and running to the drywell I put in.

I'll get the next post up tonite.
Link Posted: 3/24/2015 10:42:43 AM EDT
[#6]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Holy spit, thats a butt load of good looking work you put in...........
View Quote
+1  Looks great though!

Link Posted: 3/24/2015 6:46:48 PM EDT
[#7]
Nice job.

Do you have enough fence to keep the deer from jumping it? We have elk and deer. We need to put in at least an 8' fence to keep them out of the yard. We have about 600 feet to put in...
Link Posted: 3/24/2015 9:08:08 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Nice job.

Do you have enough fence to keep the deer from jumping it? We have elk and deer. We need to put in at least an 8' fence to keep them out of the yard. We have about 600 feet to put in...
View Quote

I got a 6' fence, all I am allowed. If deer jump it, I'll put 2"x2" on top with wire and streamers. IF that don't work, My Wife says I can buy a can and spend the night on the roof.
Link Posted: 3/24/2015 9:18:31 PM EDT
[#9]
A few last pic's of the work from last year,

Took out the tree, and put in more arborvitae,

My Son and his friends with the jackhammer and BIG rock that had to go,

The last thing done last year was the wood storage,

So that brings us up to date well enough I guess. I got more pic's, but I think that is enough for You all to feel My pain. It was 4 months of busting My azz.

Link Posted: 3/24/2015 9:39:31 PM EDT
[#10]
So, on to this year. first up is building the raised beds,

Two of them are 15'x5'6" the other is 8"x5'6",

You'll see a bed on either side of the gate, those are 16'x3',

So the plan is that the long 4" x 4"'s will be dug down and the boxes leveled, and then concrete around each leg to add support to the length so that it doesn't bow out.

So the plan on either side of the gate is one will be raspberries and one will be asparagus.  In the big raised block bed it is three feet deep with mushroom compost so we are going to put the potatoes in there.  In the two big new wooden raised beds will be all the normal garden fair.  In the smaller new wooden bed will be the strawberries.

I still have to come off the house with PVC pipe and run a drop into each bed from there it will be a valve to a drip system in each bed.  The plan is to be able to just walk to the end of the house and turn the water on, or possibly a timer.  That should really help with the irrigation of the garden which has been an issue in the past.  

Just came in from starting to level and set the boxes.  Enough for tonight, tomorrow we will start posting about getting some tips on how to start planting all the starts we are receiving in the mail.

Thanks Shelly and Dave
Link Posted: 3/25/2015 7:17:06 AM EDT
[#11]
Dovetailed ends on the raised beds?  That's the kind of overkill I can appreciate. . .

My own raised beds are so inadequate.
Link Posted: 3/25/2015 8:03:43 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Dovetailed ends on the raised beds?  That's the kind of overkill I can appreciate. . .

My own raised beds are so inadequate.
View Quote

So funny you say that, I was reading this last night and my wife got up to get some water.  I had to zap the tab real quick so she wouldn't catch a glimpse.  Last thing I need is to try and keep up with the Jones' beds.  Couple rotten 2X12s and rusty drywall screws will hold her dead plants just fine.  

Dave and Shelly - I'm being totally facetious.  This thread has proven to be a great resource as well as a source of motivation.  Keep up the great, and very neat, work.
Link Posted: 3/25/2015 8:20:17 PM EDT
[#13]
Thank You for the comments.

Shelly has been very patient with My obsessions over the years, A total restoration of My Chevelle, a tool addiction, GUN addiction, and now My reloading addiction.

It was Her turn for Me to turn My attention to something She really wanted, so here it is. We really enjoy gardening, and over the last few years, it has gone downhill. Hence, I am going to get Her set up this time. I usually helped Her get it set up in the spring, then was off to My own thing. So, as We get older, I just wanted to get it right this time. I really didn't want to use cedar, rather stack block for the beds. But, She found some pic's online, and there You go.

That's where the dovetail, and decorative 4x4's, and the cap rail  came from, those beds were actually 24" tall, but after the sticker shock of the price of the cedar, and twice the amount of Mushroom compost, 12" became doable. I thought it would be nice for sitting on, but We are deep into this one, and a long ways to go yet.

Dave
Link Posted: 3/28/2015 1:04:36 AM EDT
[#14]
Got the 2 big beds dug in and leveled Thursday.

Got a late start Today, but got the 3rd bed set tonite, dark when We finished, so no pics, last 2 going in tomorrow.

Shelly so loves the Two Man auger of pain.

Link Posted: 3/28/2015 11:25:44 AM EDT
[#15]
awesome

lots of work put in there.
Link Posted: 4/4/2015 11:20:21 PM EDT
[#16]
Got all the beds set in, leveled, concreted in, ready to go.

Picked up all the PVC and conduit for the drip system, and lighting. Trench dug, just need to dig a little more to the house.

Got the grade set, I will lay the road mat, and fill it up to the bottom of the box with gravel.

12 yards of Mushroom compost delivered, going to mix it in with 50% MC and 50% native dirt. For the Asparagus bed it will be 50% MC, 50% sand. Raspberries will be 50% MC, 25% native, 25% sand.

Hopefully by end of day tomorrow, all the PVC and conduit will be run, beds lined with plastic. If We can get that far, We'll be planting by next weekend.

TIRED, going to bed now.
Link Posted: 4/5/2015 2:20:14 AM EDT
[#17]
Excellent work. I bet you've spent a small fortune on it so far.

What are you going to put between the beds? Gravel?
Link Posted: 4/5/2015 3:37:52 AM EDT
[#18]
Yes, roadmat with gravel. My low maintenance idea.
Link Posted: 4/5/2015 8:21:32 AM EDT
[#19]
Beds lined with plastic?
Link Posted: 4/5/2015 11:25:34 AM EDT
[#20]
Just along the wood, to keep the moisture off them. Trying to make them last as long as possible.
Link Posted: 4/5/2015 2:49:20 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Just along the wood, to keep the moisture off them. Trying to make them last as long as possible.
View Quote

What keeps water, from rain, from becoming trapped between the wood surface and the plastic sheeting?

TRG
Link Posted: 4/5/2015 4:21:37 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

What keeps water, from rain, from becoming trapped between the wood surface and the plastic sheeting?

TRG
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

TRG

Plastic may be getting tucked and fastened under the trim on the beds seen in the first couple pictures.
Link Posted: 4/5/2015 4:27:09 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Plastic may be getting tucked and fastened under the trim on the beds seen in the first couple pictures.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

TRG

DING DING DING, We have a winner.

I'm going to staple it to the top of the 2x12, then the cap rail, later this year My Wife is going to brush on sealer to preserve the exterior of the wood. It'll be good enough, by the time the cedar beds are done, I'll be living on some acreage.
Link Posted: 4/5/2015 9:20:16 PM EDT
[#24]
From the middle bed to the Asparagus and Raspberry bed.

Asparagus bed to the Raspberry bed.

Piped for three zones.  One for Upper and lower beds. One for Middle bed and Asparagus and Raspberry beds and last zone for Potato bed, all will be plumbed to the end of the House to a manifold.

The beds lined with plastic, first layer of Mushroom compost. I'll layer the beds with MC, then native dirt, and so on. Then till it to mix and break up the MC.

I need to get some more fittings and plugs, then I will pressure test the system, and backfill.

Going to go sit down for awhile now. GOD, I can't wait till this is over..................
Link Posted: 4/12/2015 2:28:57 PM EDT
[#25]
Manifold built, ready to go.

Plumed into the spigot, My main water supply for the house in just under the house here, I may eventually tap into that.

Ditches filled in.

Beds have been layered and mixed, one more layer of MC, and one more tilling, will be ready to plant.

Getting ready to go out and do the final tilling of the beds to mix the mushroom compost with the dirt.  Then it is finally time to plant onions, strawberries, raspberries, peas, beans, cauliflower, broccoli, cabbage for now.  The salad garden has already been started behind the house where the lettuce, spinach, radishes and carrots will be...

Well off we go to get this wrapped up!!!  The end is in sight :)

Shot of the manifold all backfilled.

Link Posted: 4/12/2015 3:21:12 PM EDT
[#26]
Nice setup!
Link Posted: 4/13/2015 12:04:57 AM EDT
[#27]
Thank You Ratling, I have kept up on Your garden thread as well, hopefully We will be producing soon as well. I am jealous of Your growing season down there.

A pic of Today, doesn't look like much, but it is a major victory to Me. All the beds are full, tilled, ready to plant.

A close up of the Strawberry bed.

This weekend, We filled in the ditches, screened about 8 yards of native dirt, hauled off 5700 lbs of rock, clay, hauled in 5 yards of the Mushroom compost, 660 lbs of sand for the Asparagus bed and rototilled it all in. And on My return trips from hauling off the rocks, I brought back 2 yards of the 3/4" chips to lay between the beds I am so happy, all I got to do is install the tops onto the beds and it's ALL Shelly from there on out for awhile.
Link Posted: 4/13/2015 6:44:10 AM EDT
[#28]
Great setup!
Link Posted: 4/13/2015 9:30:52 PM EDT
[#29]
Thanks Dimmu, Your thread is another I check regularly.

One thing My Wife would like is to get a small greenhouse, to try to do some lettuce in over winter. Looking at Ya'lls greens in the middle of winter makes Us jealous.

Looking to do some collards as well, My Wife loves Her spinach.
Link Posted: 4/14/2015 6:55:37 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

One thing My Wife would like is to get a small greenhouse, to try to do some lettuce in over winter. Looking at Ya'lls greens in the middle of winter makes Us jealous.

View Quote

Thanks.
Have you thought about making hoop houses? Might be a good way to extend your season.
http://www.instructables.com/id/Simple-Hoop-Houses-for-Raised-Beds/
Link Posted: 4/14/2015 7:39:53 AM EDT
[#31]
Looks really nice.  I hate fences, but what can you do, we have them too.
Link Posted: 4/14/2015 10:42:18 PM EDT
[#32]
Got the tops on the beds Today. I still need to build tops over by the gate, got the material in the Garage.

Got the Strawberries planted

Raspberries planted.

Asparagus is in too.

Got the notification that all the drip system stuff shipped Today, be here Thursday.

Going through, trying to plan out Our planting map, may not have enough room. I got some cedar lumber left over, may got get acouple more boards, I could do one more bed to the left of these, running East/West.
Link Posted: 4/14/2015 10:50:49 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Thanks.
Have you thought about making hoop houses? Might be a good way to extend your season.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks.

Thanks Dimmu, we actually have built a tomato hoop house in the past since we need that to get ripe tomatoes here in the Pacific Northwest!!!  We would love to get a greenhouse someday but that is a bit down the road for now we will be doing our tomatoes on the back of the house and maybe building a small hoop house to extend the growing season so we can actually get some ripe tomatoes ...
Link Posted: 4/15/2015 1:00:53 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Manifold built, ready to go.

http://i1302.photobucket.com/albums/ag124/71metbu/DAVE-PC/Backyard%20Remodel/IMG_20150409_180640734_zpsri9gahx3.jpg

Plumed into the spigot, My main water supply for the house in just under the house here, I may eventually tap into that.

http://i1302.photobucket.com/albums/ag124/71metbu/DAVE-PC/Backyard%20Remodel/IMG_20150409_180618869_zpsroerjh0y.jpg

Ditches filled in.

http://i1302.photobucket.com/albums/ag124/71metbu/DAVE-PC/Backyard%20Remodel/IMG_20150410_140817740_zpsqjbrrvab.jpg

Beds have been layered and mixed, one more layer of MC, and one more tilling, will be ready to plant.

http://i1302.photobucket.com/albums/ag124/71metbu/DAVE-PC/Backyard%20Remodel/IMG_20150410_140817740_zpsqjbrrvab.jpg

Getting ready to go out and do the final tilling of the beds to mix the mushroom compost with the dirt.  Then it is finally time to plant onions, strawberries, raspberries, peas, beans, cauliflower, broccoli, cabbage for now.  The salad garden has already been started behind the house where the lettuce, spinach, radishes and carrots will be...

Well off we go to get this wrapped up!!!  The end is in sight :)

http://i1302.photobucket.com/albums/ag124/71metbu/DAVE-PC/Backyard%20Remodel/IMG_20150410_140822922_zps0mhjrmpo.jpg

Shot of the manifold all backfilled.

http://i1302.photobucket.com/albums/ag124/71metbu/DAVE-PC/Backyard%20Remodel/IMG_20150410_140847445_zpsceqi1ywc.jpg
View Quote

Dude, that manifold doesn't freeze and bust?
I live in the south, and my irrigation lines will bust if even a little bit of water is in them.
Link Posted: 4/15/2015 3:58:57 AM EDT
[#35]
I blew the last one out with air every fall, and left it uncapped. No different the a lawn sprinkler system.
Link Posted: 4/19/2015 5:16:56 AM EDT
[#36]
Awesome job.  It already looks great. It will be great once you have it up and running 100%. Well done.
Link Posted: 4/19/2015 6:37:31 PM EDT
[#37]
Keep posting pictures as the summer progresses. Awesome work so far.
Link Posted: 4/19/2015 9:23:36 PM EDT
[#38]
Some of the Onions and Garlic planted

Broccoli, Cauliflower and Cabbage

Peas, Bib lettuce and some Chard starts sharing the bed with the Raspberries

I took the Tiller to the top bed, I plan on putting an Arbor up here with some table grapes, and squash at their feet.

A view of My FARM.

This is what the gravel walkways will look like eventually.

Link Posted: 4/19/2015 9:27:36 PM EDT
[#39]
Artichoke, beans, and the red onions.

And the Asparagus is SPROUTING!!!!!!

My only demand, I've always wanted an Asparagus bed.
Link Posted: 4/19/2015 9:39:36 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Keep posting pictures as the summer progresses. Awesome work so far.
View Quote

Thank You, We plan on keeping up on the Thread.
Link Posted: 4/19/2015 10:32:34 PM EDT
[#41]
Wow your garden  is inspiring!
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 11:15:25 AM EDT
[#42]
Rain and life have kept Us out of the garden most of  the week. Been watering, not much Mother Nature has been doing that for Us. Should be able to get more done this coming week.

On a positive note, ASPARAGUS.

Trying to get out Today for some Tater planting.

Link Posted: 4/30/2015 11:06:12 AM EDT
[#43]
You have done a wonderful job! Good for you for putting your wife ahead of yourself; that speaks to the type of man you are. Kudos again, and I look forward to seeing how it all grows!

Link Posted: 4/30/2015 12:25:08 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
You have done a wonderful job! Good for you for putting your wife ahead of yourself; that speaks to the type of man you are. Kudos again, and I look forward to seeing how it all grows!

View Quote

SilverSlinger, thank you for Your well timed post, as I blew 800 bucks on reloading equipment yesterday.

I'm thinking She MIGHT start talking to Me later Today.........
Link Posted: 5/12/2015 6:47:58 AM EDT
[#45]
Wow, after reading this thread I had to take a couple of advil and lay down, made my back hurt!

Outstanding work OP!
Link Posted: 5/12/2015 3:17:47 PM EDT
[#46]
Shut the front door!!  Amazing work, OP!!
Link Posted: 5/12/2015 3:27:13 PM EDT
[#47]
Holy shit.
Link Posted: 5/13/2015 8:52:47 PM EDT
[#48]
Thank You Everybody.

I got sidetracked helping My Mother start moving across the state last weekend.

Got the taters in awhile back, raspberries are going nuts, asparagus is going gang busters, and Shelly had Her first spinach salad of the season.

Got the check valve, regulator and filter installed into the water supply, just need to start plumbing drip system soon. Fortunately here in the great PNW at this time of year, Mother Nature does a lot of irrigating for Us.
Link Posted: 5/13/2015 10:06:14 PM EDT
[#49]
Everything is looking really good OP!  A ton of work but it looks like it will pay off for many years to come.
Link Posted: 5/13/2015 10:09:04 PM EDT
[#50]
Ever consider adding rhubarb to the grow list?  If it doesn't get too hot it grows like a weed and you just let it be.   Then a year or two later there is strawberry-rhubarb pie come spring!  
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top