Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/12/2015 11:18:28 AM EDT
I really want to get into gardening but I am extremely busy and have plenty of projects and obstacles around the house that I need to complete before taking on a large outdoor endeavor so I am looking for a simple way to get started.

I would like to start an indoor herb garden and possibly even a small hydroponics setup for strawberries, leafy vegetables and whatever else I can work with down in the basement.

To get started I like the idea of a test tube herb garden but I don't know if that is a feasible idea. Does anyone here have a small indoor herb garden that could share some insight on a good setup to get started?

Partial sun and 3 dogs are a major obstacles to doing anything in the backyard but I am open to ideas for a planter herb garden and possibly even a strawberry pyramid in the front yard as long as it is aesthetically acceptable for the neighbors. Would something like this work?
Link Posted: 3/12/2015 2:16:22 PM EDT
[#1]
I will offer that herbs, medicinal and culinary are weeds someone found a purpose for..

they will grow about anywhere with moderate sunshine and regular watering..and probably/maybe too abundant for hydroponics on a small scale
IE 4 inch pot of rosemary grew to 3 gal pot in one season outside.

strawberries are grown easily in strawberry pots on your porch again as long as they's sunshine and water and berries use a LOT of water to produce..

Good luck with your venture,,,enjoy the hobby/
CHEF.
Link Posted: 3/13/2015 12:40:38 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Partial sun and 3 dogs are a major obstacles to doing anything in the backyard  this work?
View Quote

I put my herb garden on the side of my garage.  It comes out about 1 1/2 feet x 15 feet.  I have landscaping bricks on the edges, and I put plastic fencing around it to keep the rabbits and the dog out.  After the initial costs it will pay for itself in the first year.  If you can get 6 + hours of sun a day you will be fine.  You can even put it on the side of your house.  That is where I have the asparagus patch at.  Just put up some fencing to keep the dogs out.  I will try to get some pictures for you tonight so you can see what I am talking about.
Link Posted: 3/13/2015 12:59:20 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I put my herb garden on the side of my garage.  It comes out about 1 1/2 feet x 15 feet.  I have landscaping bricks on the edges, and I put plastic fencing around it to keep the rabbits and the dog out.  After the initial costs it will pay for itself in the first year.  If you can get 6 + hours of sun a day you will be fine.  You can even put it on the side of your house.  That is where I have the asparagus patch at.  Just put up some fencing to keep the dogs out.  I will try to get some pictures for you tonight so you can see what I am talking about.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Quoted:
Partial sun and 3 dogs are a major obstacles to doing anything in the backyard  this work?

Thanks, I had initially planned to put up an area on the side of my house in a raised planter but the dogs frequent that area. However, I didn't think about using one on the other side of the house. It will be shaded a little by my neighbors house but I will go out a couple times over the next few days in order to see how much light it gets. It's funny that you mentioned asparagus because I told myself that no matter what I want to try and get some asparagus down this year so that it will hopefully be ready by next year.
Link Posted: 3/14/2015 8:32:46 AM EDT
[#4]
You need to wait two years on asparagus.
Link Posted: 3/14/2015 5:55:52 PM EDT
[#5]
Better late than never is my motto.

Picture of the asparagus bed.  I also put some garlic around it to keep the beetles away.  Seemed to work very well last year.

Side shot of the herb garden on the side of the garage.  It is not ready for action yet, but you the pictures should give you an idea.

Front shot.
Link Posted: 3/14/2015 6:35:51 PM EDT
[#6]
Thanks for the information and inspiration. I've been taking a closer look at my yard over the past couple of days and have found some places with solid potential. I want to try a couple things out this year using store bought plants and if it works out, build a couple solid raised beds in my backyard and start from seeds next year.
Link Posted: 3/21/2015 9:06:00 AM EDT
[#7]
Hydroponic herbs grow faster in Hydroponic systems but as listed above, most herbs are weeds.  They will grow in anything.  I grow herbs as hydro at the beginning of fall for winter through early spring use.  I then switch back to dirt late winter for spring through fall use.  I do the same thing for pretty much all my plants.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top