Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/28/2015 3:03:03 PM EDT
I recently saw a setup using a game feeder to feed chickens while the owner was away.

I have no experience with operation of game feeders but I am interested in finding out more about the battery and solar recharging systems.  I suppose the system from a game feeder isn't enough capacity to run a small automotive light.

How well do they hold up?  I've seen both 6v and 12v systems advertised.  Should I prefer one over the other?  Do the small lantern-sized batteries have enough capacity to do much or would putting an RV type deep cycle battery improve things?

How about the solar re-chargers?  Do they have controllers to just keep a battery topped off or do they continue to trickle a charge?

What do I need to know or where do I need to look?

tl:dr version: want to design a small solar or wind powered system that would run a feeder, light, and maybe even a dc pump (like a bait bucket pump or a pump for a boat's bilge/live well)
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 9:42:49 PM EDT
[#1]
game feeders are no problem. they use 6v rechargeable batts. you can buy at feed stores or academy.the rest, can't help you but, "skibane' or 'batmancav' should be able to help you out

ETA: they usually hang out in the survival forum
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 2:42:58 PM EDT
[#2]
I don't know what the current draw for a feeder is, but the guys over in the ham radio forum have some good info on solar setups.

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_10_22/671603_Portable_power_and_Solar_Charging_Gadgets.html
Link Posted: 3/6/2015 9:41:53 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks for the replies.  I forgot about the thread in the Ham Radio forum!

Still wondering about how well the 6v rechargeable batteries hold up.  Should I consider the battery to require replacement annually?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top