Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/25/2015 3:41:19 PM EDT
The last few years I have had fluorescent lights on my seedlings. Any reason not to use LED bulbs?
Link Posted: 2/25/2015 4:05:08 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
The last few years I have had fluorescent lights on my seedlings. Any reason not to use LED bulbs?
View Quote

I think they have special ones with the right spectrum for plant growth, I looked at them, but they are expensive
Link Posted: 2/25/2015 4:24:32 PM EDT
[#2]

LED grow lights are available, but still have a ways to go before they can compete with HID lights and flourescents.

Some use multiple different LED colored bulbs on a carousel to fulfill the spectrum of light plants require.

Still too early to invest in LED system. Get a nice HID ballast and bulb if you want a more productive light. Flourescents are fine for seedlings.
Link Posted: 2/25/2015 4:33:35 PM EDT
[#3]
They work fine as long as they are very bright and very close, but not close enough to burn them. LEDs, fluorescent, HPS, or MH work fine. Overall light level is the most important thing. Spectrum is not usually important.  Avoid lights that look greenish, like xenons, green is the only part of the spectrum (color) plants can't use.

Eta... best bang for your buck is a modified HPS security light (as big or small as you want: 50w-1000w) on sale from a chain hardware store or order online.  A high efficiency reflector is worth the investment if you can get it.

Link Posted: 2/25/2015 6:05:34 PM EDT
[#4]
Order of efficiency (all of these will still work)

HPS>MH>Ultra efficient fluorescent>premium LED>premium CFL>low quality LED and low quality fluorescent (about the same)

HPS = High pressure sodium
MH = Metal Halide
Link Posted: 3/5/2015 3:37:30 PM EDT
[#5]
http://www.lighting.philips.com/main/application_areas/horticultural/overview-products.wpd

I've used the Phllips TLED fluorescent lamp replacement and I have another Philips one that they no longer show on their website. The TLED I'm using is a deep red/white combo. The other version I have is a deep red/blue. Both work ok. I also have a cheap chinese version that's also deep red/blue. Both work fine, you just want to avoid using a far red light at the seedling stage. Far red can inhibit germination of some seeds.

I also use the LED flowering lamp Philips puts out, but it's not a true "growing" light like the long tubes. I have some very specific uses for that particular bulb, but I would not use it for seeding. Once your plants germinate and get a few weeks growth, then you can introduce some far red light and see what they do. Some species go nuts under far red.

My image hosting service is down right now, but I have my tomatoes growing in an insulated room lit only by led lighting. They 're neat, but they can be expensive. I still have some plants under the old fluorescent lights as well. It works fine and it generates heat, which is something that helps regulate the room temperature in the winter. In the summer, when I need to keep it cool, is where the LED lights really help.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top