Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/19/2015 5:01:25 PM EDT
Anyone had any luck growing spuds in wood boxes? Really want to try some potatoes out this year and looking for a an easier way to do it with little space
Link Posted: 2/19/2015 5:36:48 PM EDT
[#1]
Don't go by my experience, but I tried it and failed miserably.  Actually I tried a 'stackable' box thing, 3' squares made of 2x6's.  Fill one with dirt, plant, wait for it to sprout and grow a bit, sit another box on top and fill it with soil, wait for more growth, then another box, etc. etc.  I only got to two boxes high, and never made a potato one.  I have no idea what went wrong; it should have worked.  I must have had a soil problem or bad seed 'taters or something.
Link Posted: 2/19/2015 5:47:55 PM EDT
[#2]
I tried it in tires a few years ago and failed miserably also. I ended up with a much of 1" size potatoes.
Link Posted: 2/19/2015 6:14:12 PM EDT
[#3]
Square foot gardening worked great for me for everything except potatoes. Complete flop like the others have mentioned.
Link Posted: 2/20/2015 10:17:12 AM EDT
[#4]
I've done potatoes in a 12" deep square foot garden arrangement for three years now and have had reasonable success.  For whatever reason, I have good luck with red potatoes and not-so-impressive luck with white potatoes (most of which turned out golf ball size).  You won't feed a family of 4 for a year off of one 4x4 bed, but it wasn't a waste of garden space either.  I do mound up soil a foot or so higher than the sides of the bed, which isn't that big a deal since the dirt is fairly moist and stays put.

My biggest mistake was planting a sweet potato in the same bed as my other potatoes.  They mature a different times and harvesting one without disturbing the other is a pain in the butt.  Sweet potatoes, by the way, are some prolific fuckers.  The year before last I dug up a 5 gallon bucket's worth including three tubers that were as big as footballs off of one set.  My wife reported that their taste and texture were perfectly normal.  (I don't like sweet potatoes, so I wouldn't know.)

This year I'm thinking about making a trellis over my garden and growing the sweet potato vines overhead to provide shade for the rest of the garden during the hottest months when the sweet potatoes are really taking off.
Link Posted: 2/20/2015 10:25:58 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

This year I'm thinking about making a trellis over my garden and growing the sweet potato vines overhead to provide shade for the rest of the garden during the hottest months when the sweet potatoes are really taking off.
View Quote

Sweet potato vines are pretty decorative... they can (and are) used as ornamentals.  Dual-purpose plants are pretty cool.
Link Posted: 2/20/2015 4:38:18 PM EDT
[#6]
Thank you for the info guys
Link Posted: 2/21/2015 9:16:37 AM EDT
[#7]
Has anyone tried them in 5-gallon buckets?  The last few times I did them in my raised beds I ended up with rotten potatoes.  It seems everything else loves the evenly damp soil except the potatoes.  I was considering experimenting this year with a single plant in a 5-gallon bucket with tons of drainage holes to see how it compared with the raised beds.  The other possibility I saw was adding a bunch of sand to one section of the raised beds for them.
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 5:45:08 PM EDT
[#8]
You have to have an indeterminate type of potato to grow them vertically. German Butterballs are one type. The ones you find in the stores are all determinate. None of the places around me that carry seed potatos carry the indeterminate varieties so I have to order them online.
Link Posted: 2/28/2015 10:15:01 AM EDT
[#9]
Tried boxes, straw bails, buckets, tubs, compost pile and never had luck with above ground planting. Patrice over on the 'Rural Revolution' website grows them in tractor tires and has reasonably good luck. There was a member here that made big planter boxes and used sawdust but I can't find the thread.
Link Posted: 2/28/2015 11:19:00 AM EDT
[#10]
i grow em in a 4x4 x15 deep box, with onions,,carrots,,etc...ive had no issues. reds,,sweet and small whites(like the reds). hell..i tossed a rotted half box near my compost head and just harvest 15 taters off that!

my 1st run was in a 2 gallon potter...i got 20 small reds outta that one.

dunno why but i cant fail on taters for some odd reason
Link Posted: 2/28/2015 9:53:14 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
You have to have an indeterminate type of potato to grow them vertically. German Butterballs are one type. The ones you find in the stores are all determinate. None of the places around me that carry seed potatos carry the indeterminate varieties so I have to order them online.
View Quote

Interesting....
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 11:59:54 AM EDT
[#12]
I'm gonna try the trashcan method this year.  It's pretty much the box method (grow, add dirt, grow, add dirt ect.) but 1 pc. already.
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 6:08:58 PM EDT
[#13]
Generally speaking it takes alot of space to grow alot of potatoes. They need to be hilled several times for best results when growing in dirt. So adding dirt around the plant as it grows is a good idea.  Also A midling PH is best for them when it comes to flavor. They dont need alot of nitrogen. I use 5-10-10 or 5-20-20. For just a few plants it wouldnt take much fertilize at all.
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 7:19:39 PM EDT
[#14]
Going to plant in raised bed and maybe throw some in a couple buckets to try.
Link Posted: 3/6/2015 9:29:45 AM EDT
[#15]
some potatoes don't produce potatoes all the way up!  You hve to use the right variety for this method!
Quoted:
Don't go by my experience, but I tried it and failed miserably.  Actually I tried a 'stackable' box thing, 3' squares made of 2x6's.  Fill one with dirt, plant, wait for it to sprout and grow a bit, sit another box on top and fill it with soil, wait for more growth, then another box, etc. etc.  I only got to two boxes high, and never made a potato one.  I have no idea what went wrong; it should have worked.  I must have had a soil problem or bad seed 'taters or something.
View Quote

Link Posted: 3/8/2015 12:06:53 AM EDT
[#16]
Finished up a raised bed for the spuds. What kind of dirt should I get to fill it? Topsoil, planting soil, compost, manure? I have a bag of peat moss in the shed. I just want to start the spuds out the best I can.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top