Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/24/2015 6:08:50 PM EDT
No matter what recipe I try, I always get dense bland biscuits. Are there any tricks or good recipes out there that won't make bricks?
Link Posted: 1/24/2015 7:19:26 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 1/24/2015 7:32:57 PM EDT
[#2]
Usually that's because the dough is overworked or too dry.

When you're done mixing, rolling and cutting, let them rest for 15 minutes, this will allow any gluten strands developed during mixing to relax.

Give the tops a light egg wash, tops only not the sides, and then bake at a minimum of 375.
Link Posted: 1/24/2015 10:55:59 PM EDT
[#3]
all the above, you're workin it too hard

CCCChef..
Link Posted: 1/25/2015 10:44:29 AM EDT
[#4]
I'll give those tips a try. Seems as though I can't get it properly mixed without working it.
Link Posted: 1/25/2015 1:37:05 PM EDT
[#5]
Might help if you post your current recipe and procedure.  In particular, what source of fat do you use and how large of a batch are you making at a time?

Put in your dry ingredients first and then use a fork or two butter knives or a pastry blender to "cut in" the lard, butter, shortening, etc. until the mix resembles coarse corn meal.  You don't want it too uniform.  When you add the milk, buttermilk, etc. use a butter knife to mix it together only until just wet.  Too much stirring once the liquid is added is guaranteed to brick a batch of biscuits.  If you are using a mixer or food processor you are overworking the dough.
Link Posted: 1/25/2015 8:06:39 PM EDT
[#6]
One thing I forgot to post is that the same rule of temperature as pie dough plays into the method.

Make sure the liquid you're using, be it buttermilk, milk or water is very cold.

This keeps the mixture from becoming elastic which results in toughness.
Link Posted: 1/25/2015 8:16:38 PM EDT
[#7]
Do you want to let the mix stand for a while?  Making bread dough letting the dough stand 1/2 hour or so before adding final water and salt seems to do remarkable things getting the dough fully hydrated.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top