Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/17/2015 3:51:33 PM EDT
I was wondering if there was a way to run a drain to a Belgium drain (I think that is what it is called), gravel pit. I don't want my Kitchen drain or the utility wash out sink to drain into the septic. What are my options. I'm unrestricted land but wonder if their is other issues? Like ETA? Thanks.
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 4:16:57 PM EDT
[#1]

First order of business is to shut up about it. Second is do the work yourself.

I may or may not have done this.

Link Posted: 1/17/2015 5:25:53 PM EDT
[#2]
The sink water is 'grey water' as opposed to the toilet which is 'black water'  Probably even legal to do so if the pit is correctly designed and sized.
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 5:50:28 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks.
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 6:58:55 PM EDT
[#4]
The only concern I would have with this is you may end up with too high of a solid content in your septic if you run all of your grey water into a separate system.
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 7:38:48 PM EDT
[#5]
No it not legal around hear, But I have a friend of a friend who said the only thing that goes into their septic tank is toilets.
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 10:13:05 PM EDT
[#6]
My parents drainfield failed after 40 years.  When they had it redone they had the excavator install a graywater crock for laundry and water softener.
Sinks, tub and toilets still go to the septic tank.

Google up graywater discharge.
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 10:31:32 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The only concern I would have with this is you may end up with too high of a solid content in your septic if you run all of your grey water into a separate system.
View Quote

I will still have bath sinks & shower going to septic. My thought was kitchen, utility/washout sink & laundry grey.
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 10:34:10 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
My parents drainfield failed after 40 years.  When they had it redone they had the excavator install a graywater crock for laundry and water softener.
Sinks, tub and toilets still go to the septic tank.

Google up graywater discharge.
View Quote

Thanks,  I was wondering what to Google. I tried a few ways & continued to get ecoterrorist/hippie sites preaching or some really expensive systems. I did find a YouTube that showed one that processed 25 gallons of laundry without hitch. Thanks for the info.
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 10:47:05 PM EDT
[#9]
I'm curious why you would need to do this if you're not trying to re-use the gray water.

Tom
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 11:13:42 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I'm curious why you would need to do this if you're not trying to re-use the gray water.

Tom
View Quote

I want to eventually reuse it. But, I have some bigger projects to tackle first. Like finishing a house.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 12:04:50 AM EDT
[#11]
There may be special regs allowing it.  In NM we could reuse it as long as it NEVER mixed with blackwater.  Easier to do on a new home for just a few $$ more by running double drain pipes to keep them separate.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 7:13:59 PM EDT
[#12]
The reading can be interesting since some places with major water shortages are trying, and might by now, allow some stuff like watering a flower bed with grey water.

I know there are articles from major drought areas now and again.

Mother earth news has articles every few years so it is sometimes fun to run that search and see how they try to spin it over the decades.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 6:07:34 AM EDT
[#13]
It's pretty common here, and nobody really gives a crap if the TWP allows it or not.

A seperate Grey water system keeps drainfields working longer.

The most common set up is an old 100 or 150 gallon sprayer tank, drilled full of 1/2" holes, and covered with tile cloth, sunk, and then half filled with gravel to keep it from floating up.

I have also seen a single run of  14" septic drain tile used.

They get plugged up with fats and oils, as well as laundry lint after 20 years or so, but save the septic from all that junk.

Link Posted: 1/19/2015 8:40:36 PM EDT
[#14]
French, not Belgium.
Link Posted: 1/25/2015 1:12:36 AM EDT
[#15]
Excerpt from:

Chapter 210 - Use of Reclaimed Water
SUBCHAPTER F: USE OF GRAYWATER SYSTEMS 210.81 - 210.85
Effective January 6, 2005 210.81. Applicability.

"Adopted December 15, 2004  Effective January 6, 2005 210.82.
General Requirements.
       (a) Graywater is defined as wastewater from:
               (1) showers;
               (2) bathtubs;
               (3) handwashing lavatories;
               (4) sinks that are not used for disposal of hazardous or toxic ingredients;
               (5) sinks not used for food preparation or disposal; and
               (6) clothes-washing machines.
       (b) Graywater does not include wastewater from the washing of material, including diapers, soiled with human excreta or wastewater that has come into contact with toilet waste.
       (c) Construction of a graywater system, including storage and disposal systems, must comply with this chapter and any requirements of the local permitting authority."

Section A(4) pertains to what you are asking and is not considered to be grey water and must be disposed of as black water.

Ive considered running my laundry seperate but cannot find anything much about storage and disposal in TX other than it cannot create runoff, pool, or be dispersed under pressure (such as through a lawn sprinker)
Link Posted: 1/25/2015 2:26:34 AM EDT
[#16]
Yep, keep it under your hat.

I know someone whose washing machine dumps into an open top 55 gallon drum. There's an automatic sump pump in the barrel connected to a water hose. That water is used to water trees, lawn, foundation, etc.

We did have a small concrete type tank with a gravel bottom at my parents house. We installed it ourselves with a backhoe. All the washing machine water went in there.
Link Posted: 2/8/2015 11:22:23 PM EDT
[#17]
In the summer we run our laundry water to a 55 gallon barrel we use on the garden.  Laundry water is not very clean and it starts stinking--badly--in a few days.

Check  into "flow forms" for recycling of grey water.
Link Posted: 2/9/2015 10:57:10 AM EDT
[#18]
Most older houses around here run kitchen and laundry sinks and showers out a grey line, nothing but toilets/bathroom sink goes into septic tank.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top