Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/17/2015 1:13:02 PM EDT
I live on a half acre lot and am interested in getting some ducks. Any specific challenges?
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 10:50:36 PM EDT
[#1]
Better hurry! Duck season's almost over.

Tom
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 1:21:40 PM EDT
[#2]
We live on a half acre in a small town with no immediate neighbors. We have no codes. We do have a small pond for the 8 ducks. They have about 800 square feet. We enjoy them and get eggs from them. The only real draw back is that they can make as much racket as my hounds sometimes. Lol. The ducks are cool. If you have any neighbors though I would not keep a pond. It is a bit of a pain but is great fertilizer.
Link Posted: 1/22/2015 1:08:53 PM EDT
[#3]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

We live on a half acre in a small town with no immediate neighbors. We have no codes. We do have a small pond for the 8 ducks. They have about 800 square feet. We enjoy them and get eggs from them. The only real draw back is that they can make as much racket as my hounds sometimes. Lol. The ducks are cool. If you have any neighbors though I would not keep a pond. It is a bit of a pain but is great fertilizer.
View Quote

The noise is my main concern. I have a grouchy ass old man who lives next door. I was thinking of putting the ducks on the other side of my lot, but not sure if that will help.
Link Posted: 1/24/2015 11:11:48 AM EDT
[#4]
I do not have ducks but my understanding is that most are very loud.  Other side of the lot won't help.

Muscovies are supposed to be way more quiet though.
Link Posted: 1/26/2015 2:04:49 AM EDT
[#5]
White Perkins will work. Ducks are quiet as long as you feed them. Usually twice a day in their designated area.
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 2:51:11 AM EDT
[#6]
I have saxony ducks on a 1/4 acre. They arent loud IMO. A lot less loud than dogs. The girls were louder when they were teenagers but now they don't make enough noise for people to hear outside the yard.

I had muscovies as I heard they were quiet and I was concerned. The male was very aggressive to my other animals and they just aren't a very productive breed .(50 eggs a year)

I decide on Saxonies as they are good layer (150-200 eggs a year) and are big meat birds. The additional eggs means eggs to eat and lots to try to hatch to raise for meat.

I have four females and one male, they haven't started laying yet, should happen soon.

I've eaten muscovies and Saxonies and the Saxonies are better tasting too IMO. Very much like goose, so much so we've decided to delay getting more geese (lost our pair to a predator attack)

Between meat rabbits for white meat and ducks for dark meat and eggs , there isn't much need for chickens or for that matter other livestock.

There is a FAO paper on symbiosis of raising rabbits and ducks for backyard farming. They used muscovies as they were dealing with hot weather countries in Central America and Africa. If you don't have the heat concern I'd suggest a more productive duck.
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 5:41:23 PM EDT
[#7]
You should listen to episode 1493 of the Survival podcast.  Jack spends about 1.5 hrs talking about raising ducks.  Also, in episode 1501 he answers the same exact question that you are asking here...

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top