Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/16/2014 4:36:39 PM EDT
I'm using this LINK as just an example.
At some point in the future we would like to buy some land. Searching on the Lands of Texas website there are hundreds of listings for land all across the state. We are primarily looking in the Texas hill country. Anywhere from the San Antonio area up Killeen/Ft. Hood. I am looking for something rural and then commuting "in to town" for work. I drive nearly an hour each way to work now, Houston, so I know that an hour drive in the country could put us out pretty far.

What types of things should you look at, or look for, when considering acreage? I know the usual things like availability of water and electric to the property. My personal preference would be city water AND a well. What are some other things to consider.
Like I said, there are hundreds of these listings all across the state. Some are fairly remote while others are closer to "civilization. Our ultimate goal is to buy a piece of land and then have a metal barn/house built unless we can find one that already has something like that on it.

What did you look for when buying your land?
Link Posted: 12/16/2014 5:02:44 PM EDT
[#1]
Make sure there is a clean deed with no liens on it.

I'd want a creek or stream and/or pond on my land in addition to the availability of city/county utilities.
Link Posted: 12/16/2014 5:57:32 PM EDT
[#2]
liens, soil bank if farm land,  water rights,  right of ways,
Link Posted: 12/16/2014 8:01:07 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
liens, soil bank if farm land,  water rights,  right of ways,
View Quote

........ and easements.
Link Posted: 12/16/2014 8:08:58 PM EDT
[#4]
or mineral rights
Link Posted: 12/16/2014 11:26:23 PM EDT
[#5]
Perc test
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 12:04:47 AM EDT
[#6]
In this area, hardwood trees is a good indication that the ground will perk for a septic system. The presence of cedars with very few hardwood trees means that soil is shallow and the subsurface is rock.

Not great for building or perking.

YMMV
Link Posted: 12/18/2014 8:04:37 AM EDT
[#7]
Nearby EPA Superfund sites.
Seriously.
Link Posted: 12/18/2014 2:15:18 PM EDT
[#8]
I've heard that in some parts of TX, you would have to drill a VERY deep well to actually hit water.  Deep as in over 700 feet deep.  Don't know what areas that would apply to but some areas of TX could have good prices on land but then you might have to spend the same amount drilling a well.  I'd check into that to make sure that's not an issue for you.  I'm guessing that it's more applicable to west TX but then, I'm not a TX resident.
Link Posted: 12/18/2014 2:30:08 PM EDT
[#9]
Water
no covenant restrictions (very important)
clean deed
electricity
right of way.
Cliche rights
avoid realtors like plague

DO YOUR OWN RESEARCH.
Link Posted: 12/18/2014 5:47:03 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
or mineral rights
View Quote

This. It's funny when people try to run off a guy that is checking his wells. He has more right to the gate and roads on your property than you do. And old oil leases can be full of contaminated soil.

Leans are big. Another already said easements. Do you need one to gt on the property? Does someone else have an easement on your property?

Link Posted: 12/19/2014 1:08:41 PM EDT
[#11]
In that area, make sure you have water, both potable and native, electricity and a septic system.  These items are very expensive if you have to install them yourself after your purchase.  A pond, lake or running water will provide wildlife a source.  I have had friends who have had to spend upwards of $30,000 to $50,000 for water, sewer and electrical systems.  Going through rock can be expensive and it could take a year to get some of these services.  Beautiful country.  If you buy something with a lot of cedars on it, cut them down and native grasses will come back.  
Link Posted: 1/1/2015 1:53:54 PM EDT
[#12]
Texas, so be sure the property taxes are done on Agricultural Valuation (sometimes called ag exemption). The ag taxes will be pennies on the dollar so you are talking about saving $1000's a year in taxes as long as the previous owner is raising cows, or has it leased for grazing or some other ag purpose. Usually they are. The exact requirements will vary a little by county. There are posts in the Texas HTF.

Otherwise, it can take 5 years to establish ag valuation and it will hurt.

I commute an hour each way to Austin, and an hour ain't very far. And I pay the "Austin-hates-commuters" tax, aka, tolls.
Link Posted: 1/1/2015 2:06:10 PM EDT
[#13]
make sure you have NO neighbors anywhere near.  I don't care if Joseph and Mary or the Waltons are living there, inevitably the economy or death will have them move and the new neighbors (different or offspring) have a good chance to be trash.

Link Posted: 1/3/2015 12:06:27 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
make sure you have NO neighbors anywhere near.  I don't care if Joseph and Mary or the Waltons are living there, inevitably the economy or death will have them move and the new neighbors (different or offspring) have a good chance to be trash.

View Quote

Researching current adjacent neighbors for sure. That and understanding who thinks they have a right to trespass (adjacency to public land, groups that had previous permission to use the land, evidence of activity like car/bike tracks, dumping, old meth cook sites, etc). Nothing deflates the promise of a nice piece of land like others that won't respect the new owners rights. Check with the local sheriff to see if there have been any issues. Once you find a decent option, it might pay off to take a quick flight around the area (gotta be some folks around that have a Cessna for hire). Amazing what you see from 2000 feet that you don't get from either driving around or sat pics.
Link Posted: 1/7/2015 5:24:47 PM EDT
[#15]
I'm thinking of buying a place next year... This is what I'm looking for!
Link Posted: 1/7/2015 5:32:50 PM EDT
[#16]
Texas.....check for a glow at night....

abandoned wells....empty Hazmat drums...

neighbors.

I had three requirements

-Border state forest
-water (streams and ponds)
-access (roads & power grid)
Link Posted: 1/8/2015 2:09:30 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Texas.....check for a glow at night....

abandoned wells....empty Hazmat drums...

neighbors.

I had three requirements

-Border state forest
-water (streams and ponds)
-access (roads & power grid)

View Quote

This is pretty much where I'm at too. After talking with the wife we are wanting 20 acres minimum. Something with a well, (if it had city water AND a well would be good too), electricity, and some fencing. At this point I think we just want the land first and will worry about building on it later. Some place we can go to on the weekends and during hunting season to do some work until we get ready to build.

Link Posted: 1/10/2015 12:18:33 AM EDT
[#18]
1. Budget
2. Purpose for purchase (also matters for use/value)

I'm 45.  I've only purchased three properties. I have chased and tried to buy many others.  Lost count.  Then, I grew up and realized I was not doing it right.

I had a budget (circa 1994) of 85k.  I wanted a brick house, two bath, fireplace, 10 acres, water, ability to hunt and cut firewood.  

I found that.  10 acres...all of the above.  84.5k (see #1 and #2)

Property #2 was the adjacent 10 acres.  Just doubled the acreage and got it for a song. (see #1 and #2)

Property #3 was just last summer.  Had a budget, Looked at some property on CraigsList and then price shopped it for comparison.  Found a different property , 32 acres, about 3 miles away.

It was within our budget, under market-value and we wanted it for hunting, an investment, hay lease (for taxes) and it's proximity to our original 20 acres.

Land is juuuuust like buying a car.  There are 50 things to look for, and decisions upon decisions to make.

Budget.

Use/Value

Buying 100 acres, cheap, in North Dakota does not meet my guidelines.  I can put the keys in the ignition and 'go check' my property in under 5 minutes.  A 'hunting trip' over there takes the same amount of time.

It's more about patience, research, titles, court documents, land values, tax appraisals, and simple luck and discipline.

TRG
Link Posted: 1/10/2015 10:50:30 AM EDT
[#19]
another thing to consider.

The County Clerk is your friend.  Go do your own title research.  Your lender will still require a title policy, but, if you've gone through the titles, looked at the surveys, and really dug in to the property's history you'll learn alot and feel much more confident about making the purchase.

It will also allow you to see previous contracts on the property.  These contracts don't necessarily show the actual prices paid, but, you can see if the property was a purchase, an inheritance, etc.  Look at who sold, to whom, and who has a grandmother or other relative that owned the land long ago.

You'll also learn about liens and deed restrictions (covenants) on the property.  Some of these 'covenants' might be game changers for you.  For instance, my recent purchase has two covenants on it.  One prevents a 'car port' to be built.  The other sets a minimum home size.

Neither of these concern me, and, if needed I was able to locate the person that set the original covenant.  They are still enforceable under Texas law, but, if I needed/wanted to put up a car port that is the person who could complain about it.  She is also the person that could remove the covenant.

In my research I found a deed that goes back to the time of the Spanish Flu.  Apparently the death of a family member from the flu resulted in a title transfer.  Interesting stuff at times that you might find when you go back a ways.

TRG
Link Posted: 1/10/2015 5:44:28 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I'm using this LINK as just an example.
At some point in the future we would like to buy some land. Searching on the Lands of Texas website there are hundreds of listings for land all across the state. We are primarily looking in the Texas hill country. Anywhere from the San Antonio area up Killeen/Ft. Hood. I am looking for something rural and then commuting "in to town" for work. I drive nearly an hour each way to work now, Houston, so I know that an hour drive in the country could put us out pretty far.

What types of things should you look at, or look for, when considering acreage? I know the usual things like availability of water and electric to the property. My personal preference would be city water AND a well. What are some other things to consider.
Like I said, there are hundreds of these listings all across the state. Some are fairly remote while others are closer to "civilization. Our ultimate goal is to buy a piece of land and then have a metal barn/house built unless we can find one that already has something like that on it.

What did you look for when buying your land?
View Quote

I had a friend at the Army base in Ft Hood, it was his least liked place of everywhere he has been in Texas and the country.  Maybe I can get more details out of him.

How dependent on the Army base is Killeen/Ft Hood?

I doubt the base is going anywhere, but on the off chance it did, what is the likely outcome on the town?
Link Posted: 1/10/2015 7:55:52 PM EDT
[#21]
Killeen is lovely and would likely flourish due to all of its industrious pawnshops, liquor stores, and rent-to-owns if Ft Hood disappeared.  

Kidding aside,

I don't want something that's adjacent or even line of sight to a highway.  Preferably part of several adjoining tracts that are undeveloped as well.  At minimum, a year round stock tank in Texas is key, some areas having with good soil and hardwoods.

Link Posted: 1/10/2015 9:33:20 PM EDT
[#22]
One point lokt made ... about highway access.

TxDoT has some rules about entrances/driveway on to highways.  Some farm road have been re-classed as highways.  You can not add a driveway to enter a highway.  

If you are looking at investment property, it is important to make sure you already have access to the nearby roads.  If not, add them.  If things get re-classified you are allowed to keep yours.

Very important thing.  There are properties,in my parent's town that are land-locked, or were forced to buy access from adjacent land owners for entry ways.

If you are talking about hunting or remote properties, even country residences, I made one VERY smart move when I found this place.  It is located on a dead-end road, 1/2 mile back from the nearest FM road.  This means that THIEVES don't consider trying to burgle around here.  there is no way out.  

If they trip an alarm, or a suspicious activity results in a call to the Sheriff...they can't get out without going back the way they came.

Very nice... only local traffic (some are still assholes and drive 55 on the single lane road) and for the most part it's quiet here all day long.  

Kids still ride bikes here, parents still push strollers down the road and I've never seen a dog hit by a car.

TRG
Link Posted: 1/12/2015 12:31:48 AM EDT
[#23]
That is an excellent point about driveway access.  I did not know that about TX highways and how it can be applied to some FMs.  I was thinking more of interstates when I posted above but I suppose I'm not surprised given all the other incursions and restrictions.
Link Posted: 1/12/2015 12:52:31 AM EDT
[#24]
Ask the EPA is you will have to pay mitigations to use it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top