Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/11/2014 9:51:15 PM EDT
I like lettuce. Okay, I like lettuce I grow in my garden and not most store bought variants. I started growing my lettuce, among other greens, in a hydroponics setup that I built from scratch a year ago and it works very well. It was also inexpensive. I had a chance to pick up an AeroGarden LED 7 plant commercial unit a few days ago so I decided to see how well it did in comparison to my homebuilt setup.

First, here's the AeroGarden unit as I assembled it from the box. The only thing that wasn't included is the white box on the right, which is a kit they sell that has spare items. The paper tower holder wasn't either :) I used their recommended nutrient solution.

This is a shot of both the AeroGarden and one of my homemade hydro tanks. It is simply a 27 gallon plastic storage container from Lowes with some holes cut in it, some net pots in each hole, and I aerate it with a simple air pump. The nutrient mix is a simple 10-5-14 made with straight tap water.

I started some Gentilina lettuce on the evening of 12/9
Link Posted: 12/11/2014 9:53:36 PM EDT
[#1]
So, here we are two days later and we have germination in each. I expected this in mine because I've grown more than a few heads. I am pleasantly surprised that the lettuce planted in the AeroGarden have germinated as well.

Homemade and AeroGarden

I will post more pictures as the lettuce progresses.
Link Posted: 12/12/2014 5:17:35 AM EDT
[#2]
Good topic... tag
Link Posted: 12/15/2014 5:02:40 PM EDT
[#3]
I'm getting ready to fire up the Aero garden again, however I'll also be setting up a ~50 pot NFT system too. Hydro is a fun way to eat in the winter.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top