Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/28/2014 9:16:30 PM EDT
I planted some garlic sets I got from a CA garlic grower. It is doing good but I was short
on my planting so I decided to buy one whole garlic from walmart. I planted the toes and after
2 weeks it sure did not look like it was doing anything. So I went to wholefoods and pickup one head
of their organic garlic and planted the toes. Now I can do a toe to toe competition.
first pic is of the walmart garlic. Of the 10 toes planted I only see 2 maybe 3 shoots coming up.

Now this a pic of the wholefood garlic. This is 2 weeks in the ground less than the walmart garlic.
As you can see it looks like all the toes took.

Looks like the walmart garlic is treated to prevent growing at the store while the wholefood garlic is not.
I will take a pic of each again in about 3 months. When it comes time to harvest I will do a pic side by side .
I think in my area  that should be in late May/June

Link Posted: 11/30/2014 7:12:25 PM EDT
[#1]
How much water are they getting? They need about an 1" a week roughly all year long. You might also think about adding some more mulch...........
Link Posted: 12/1/2014 8:12:56 AM EDT
[#2]
I try watering once a week if it does not rain. It looks dry but the soil is moist under neath,
As far as mulch goes I plan to get more from the woods in the back as soon as it cools down some.
I use my pushmower with bagger on it. It chops the pine needles up some. Makes great mulch.

Link Posted: 12/3/2014 7:43:05 PM EDT
[#3]
Sounds about right. We do not treat any of our produce.
Link Posted: 12/6/2014 8:32:54 PM EDT
[#4]
Are they the same species of garlic?  Certain garlic types don't grow well here.
Link Posted: 12/7/2014 11:47:21 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Are they the same species of garlic?  Certain garlic types don't grow well here.
View Quote

They both look to be soft neck type of garlic. White heavy skins.
Link Posted: 12/9/2014 1:27:51 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I occassionally see planter garlic sold locally here, with the idea being that it is a larger, more robust and viable version of it's species.....might that be the difference?  I'm unaware of a common treatment to sterlize garlic, but perhaps there is.  

Your garlic looks pretty good. How cold can it get before you see some die back?  I'm still trying to time fall planting here.  The cloves that got planted in early Oct grew too quick.  He had some teen temps in mid Nov that knocked'em back. I also need to research the garlic types a bit more....this is my first year.
Link Posted: 12/9/2014 10:56:20 PM EDT
[#7]
Panta_Rei

This is my first year planting garlic. It is to my understanding that some garlic sold in stores are sprayed with
something that retards the growth so it will not sprout in the stores. Don't know if true or not. i am just doing
an experiment to compare garlic sets from a garlic grower compares to garlic from walmart compared to
garlic from WholeFoods.
So far the garlic from a grower in CA and Wholefoods are doing good.

Next year I will keep some sets from the best of them for replant and again plant some small patches
from a diffrent source and types of garlic. The only thing bad about planting garlic is it ties up your ground
for 9 months +.
Link Posted: 12/16/2014 11:04:48 AM EDT
[#8]
We had grown garlic on again off again for a few years, with moderate success.  Then, a few years back, I spied some locally grown garlic at the farmers market.  Nice big healthy bulbs, and I figured that if it was grown five miles from my house and it looks this good, it must be a variety well suited to this climate and conditions.  I took em home, broke em up and planted the largest, fattest, healthiest cloves.

Its been going great for four years now.  I get huge, fat bulbs, really truly great stuff.  I always follow the same routine:  Dig it up as the tops brown (too late and the bulb wrappers are shot), set aside the very best cloves as 'seed' for the next crop, and eat all the smaller cloves.  I plant in late sept/early oct and it grows great.

I have no idea what this stuff is.  I just figured it must be suited to this climate, and it is.
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 8:14:20 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
We had grown garlic on again off again for a few years, with moderate success.  Then, a few years back, I spied some locally grown garlic at the farmers market.  Nice big healthy bulbs, and I figured that if it was grown five miles from my house and it looks this good, it must be a variety well suited to this climate and conditions.  I took em home, broke em up and planted the largest, fattest, healthiest cloves.

Its been going great for four years now.  I get huge, fat bulbs, really truly great stuff.  I always follow the same routine:  Dig it up as the tops brown (too late and the bulb wrappers are shot), set aside the very best cloves as 'seed' for the next crop, and eat all the smaller cloves.  I plant in late sept/early oct and it grows great.

I have no idea what this stuff is.  I just figured it must be suited to this climate, and it is.
View Quote

Roughly, how long from first sprout to harvest?
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 9:06:50 AM EDT
[#10]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top