Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/20/2014 3:05:25 PM EDT
We ended up with a bunch of birds that someone had to get rid of.... we gave most away because we had enough chickens and didn't want turkeys again.  We just had a pond dug so we took the three ducks back there.  They've been fine and don't like poultry feed, the love the game fish food... when we try to feed the fish they gobble it all down... (wife and kids call them little pacmen).

We are in Indiana and now the pond is frozen and the ducks don't know what to do... they walk out onto the ice and just sit in the middle.  I don't know how I could catch them to move them to a chicken coop even if I needed to.  I had one person tell me that even in last years harsh winter her ducks bedded down in the weeds and were fine (don't know if they ate snow for water or what).

What should I be doing for these critters?

Thanks for any help!

PS, I know nothing about the breeds, there is a big male white duck we call aflack and two smaller brown ones (at least one female because we find eggs in the edge of the pond).
Link Posted: 11/20/2014 4:52:49 PM EDT
[#1]
Pond aerator will keep the pond from freezing.

Ray
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top