Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/23/2014 10:48:17 PM EDT
Need some advice on what (if anything) to grow in New England in a small (5X10') green house during the winter months.  Last winter got downright frigid, I'm guessing I will need a small space heater for anything I might attempt.  One guy in GD advised  I grow bleach to help combat the current Obola situation.  

Any help is appreciated!

--VT
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 9:25:40 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 9:35:18 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Need some advice on what (if anything) to grow in New England in a small (5X10') green house during the winter months.  Last winter got downright frigid, I'm guessing I will need a small space heater for anything I might attempt.  One guy in GD advised  I grow bleach to help combat the current Obola situation.  

Any help is appreciated!

--VT
View Quote

I'm further south than you, but I had carrots and broccoli make it through the vortex in containers under a small glass cover system.  The containers where half barrels and during the freeze, the soil froze solid at night.  During the day, the containers would thaw maybe 3-4 inches.  I'd say you could grow cool weather crops successfully.  Kale and collards are good other possibilities.  I've got Leeks growing this year - they overwinter well.
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 9:37:21 PM EDT
[#3]
Hmm interesting, off to read more about hoop houses!  Thank you sir--

Link Posted: 10/24/2014 9:41:10 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks 308endurdebate, I was thinking about kohlrabi and kale to try out this year.  I plan to head to the local garden shop tomorrow to see what is available.  
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 11:06:52 PM EDT
[#5]

Heck, I'm just trying to overwinter two hot pepper plants inside the house in front of a south-facing sliding glass window.

The only thing I've done is overwinter parsnip to harvest in the spring.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top