Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/21/2014 10:29:27 AM EDT
I'm a bit behind this year... just turned the soil for my garlic patch yesterday. Probably plant today or tomorrow...

Anybody else getting their fall hardnecks in the ground?
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 10:40:25 AM EDT
[#1]
Keep it around my neck ------------------  Vampires and all that, you know.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 12:47:40 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 7:51:01 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 6:56:22 AM EDT
[#4]
I put ours in about two weeks ago.
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 7:35:59 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I'm hoping to get ours in this weekend or early next week. We've had a lot of rain of late and that may be an impediment.
View Quote

You help me feel a bit better about being late. Rain has been my impediment as well. It rained just about all week last week and off/on the week before that. Weather has been pleasant this week, even calling for mid-70's Sat/Sun.
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 8:41:58 AM EDT
[#6]
You all seem to be in the NE.  Any advice for planting in NW GA?
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 9:19:15 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
You all seem to be in the NE.  Any advice for planting in NW GA?
View Quote

Ouch... I take offense to that... Southern IN isn't anywhere close to the NE, politically, geographically, or otherwise...

Haha, just giving you a hard time...

I think Waldo will have a LOT more knowledge on this than I, he has been planting garlic for many years longer than I have. That being said, 6-8 weeks before your first hard frost is when you want to plant. Of course, it's hard to predict when your first hard frost is going to be... thus there isn't really a right or wrong answer.
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 9:49:31 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 9:27:28 PM EDT
[#9]
160 cloves of Susanville in the box yesterday. Three inches of pine needles on top. Good to go.
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 9:28:52 PM EDT
[#10]
Mine is going in tomorrow - does that count?
Link Posted: 10/27/2014 10:35:22 AM EDT
[#11]
Got mine in the ground Thursday morning (10/23). Hopefully the unusually warm weather (high 70's and low 80's) we're having this week will help make up for my delay in planting.

I got 16 cloves of Siberian, 16 cloves of Music, 16 cloves of Chesnok Red, and 14 cloves of Belarus (from a garlic trade here on arfcom) in the ground. 62 is close to what I planted last year and it seems to be about the right amount for me...
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 2:11:16 PM EDT
[#12]
Putting mine in the ground Sunday.  It's finally starting to cool off here.
Link Posted: 11/1/2014 3:33:40 PM EDT
[#13]
Finally got mine in today. This is my first year doing garlic so I am excited to see how it works out.
Link Posted: 11/2/2014 10:38:52 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Finally got mine in today. This is my first year doing garlic so I am excited to see how it works out.
View Quote

It's a little late, but I also got mine in over the last 3 days.  I'll update my garlic thread with pictures.  I planted a total of 102 cloves
with 7 different hardneck varieties.
Link Posted: 11/2/2014 10:44:58 PM EDT
[#15]
Will plant mine tomorrow.  Last year I didn't plant until mid-November.  Despite the harsh winter, I did not lose any (buried under a foot of straw).  They cloves did not get very big, but overall happy with the harvest.  I'm thinking I waited too long this year as well, but it's still earlier than last year.
Link Posted: 11/2/2014 11:00:25 PM EDT
[#16]
got mine in the ground today.  i wanted to till some leaves into the dirt before planting.  i'll put some straw and leaves over them this week.
Link Posted: 11/6/2014 6:19:33 PM EDT
[#17]
Planted mine a couple weeks ago. First time doing garlic. A bunch has already came up with stalk from 1-6" tall. I just put a layer of leaves over ithe bed and covered them all up. Am I doing it right? Or do I need to let the plants poke out? Sorry didn't think it would come up so soon.
Link Posted: 11/7/2014 12:20:05 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Planted mine a couple weeks ago. First time doing garlic. A bunch has already came up with stalk from 1-6" tall. I just put a layer of leaves over ithe bed and covered them all up. Am I doing it right? Or do I need to let the plants poke out? Sorry didn't think it would come up so soon.
View Quote

It's probably different down there.  Up here where the ground freezes solid and there is snow cover, you don't want stalks poking out of the ground at all.  If they do, it isn't the end of the world.  They will free freeze and die, and a new stalk will come up with the thaw in the spring.  But it does sap some of the energy in the clove.

If you don't get a hard frost, then the garlic plant will usually grow very slowly but then really take off in the spring.
Link Posted: 11/7/2014 9:36:11 AM EDT
[#19]
Thank you. So do I need to uncover them? Or just leave them till spring?
Link Posted: 11/8/2014 7:36:48 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Thank you. So do I need to uncover them? Or just leave them till spring?
View Quote

Even if you're in the southern part of the state, your ground will freeze, so I would go ahead and keep them covered.  As soon as your ground thaws, I would take off any mulch you put down.  If you use straw, you can keep some of it, say 1", down to keep the weeds down as the garlic won't have a problem growing up through the straw.  Leaves tend to get matted down making it a little more difficult for the garlic to poke through unless you used chopped up leaves.
Link Posted: 11/9/2014 8:16:39 PM EDT
[#21]
I planted mine in the beginning of Oct. All soft neck.Looks like all the sets are sprouting. The other day I bought one head of garlic from whole foods.
It was such a robust looking head of garlic I just had to try and see what happens. I figure since it said organic on it it should not have been sprayed with
any kind of growth retardant. I should know in a week or two. Don't know if it is soft or hard neck.
Link Posted: 11/10/2014 8:20:58 AM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 11/10/2014 10:39:14 AM EDT
[#23]
We planted ours a week ago.

Garlic, Bok Choy, broccoli
Link Posted: 11/16/2014 8:34:24 AM EDT
[#24]

My garlic patch.
Link Posted: 11/16/2014 4:44:02 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 11/17/2014 11:20:20 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Well, it's official. This will be the first time in 12 years that we didn't plant garlic. Guess we'll start over next year.
View Quote

Bummer... too much rain? Or too many other projects going on?

I had to force myself to do it... I've been so busy I gave up some sleep to get my garlic planted...
Link Posted: 11/17/2014 5:04:27 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 11/17/2014 7:02:19 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 11/17/2014 7:03:20 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 11/18/2014 10:48:16 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Might take you up on that, thanks.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
LMK if you need some next year. I usually have some extra even though I cut back on the amount I plant.

Might take you up on that, thanks.

I planted a few extra ones this year if you need some for next year.  Just let me know.
Link Posted: 11/19/2014 7:28:23 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Guess I'd have to call it a combination of both. The soil conditions worked against us in terms of getting the bed prepped. On the days where it was feasible to get that work done there always seemed to be a fire that needed to be put out.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Bummer... too much rain? Or too many other projects going on?

I had to force myself to do it... I've been so busy I gave up some sleep to get my garlic planted...

Guess I'd have to call it a combination of both. The soil conditions worked against us in terms of getting the bed prepped. On the days where it was feasible to get that work done there always seemed to be a fire that needed to be put out.

Bummer... I know how you feel though... for the last month or so I've been sacrificing sleep to get things done around my place. I had a pretty big list of things to get done when I got back from working overseas... and not a lot of time to do it all...
Link Posted: 11/19/2014 5:22:49 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Well, it's official. This will be the first time in 12 years that we didn't plant garlic. Guess we'll start over next year.
View Quote

If all goes well, I will have plenty to send you. I planted a very large patch with five different stiff neck varieties.
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 12:44:26 PM EDT
[#33]
Last year was our first for garlic. It grew well, but we had decided we needed to do it in a different spot. Well, with all the crap going on this year, I guess we'll have to do it next year. I'm just too booked. This will be our first winter with the greenhouse, so that's a positive.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top