Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/20/2014 10:02:11 AM EDT
Two years ago we bought a house that needed some major foundation work in the rear of the house. Part of the work also required we reshape the yard to direct water away from the house and drain a certain direction. The work went smooth and everything turned out great except that we have huge patches of dirt and very little grass growing. We had 4 very large trees that pretty much blocked the sun from the backyard. This past week I had a 60' pine and a 40' Ash tree taken down and two large Oaks trimmed back and all the dead limbs cut off. This has cleared a lane for sun in the back yard and completely opened the side yard for sun light.

I would like to know when the best time to plant grass is. Frost will hit any day now and I've already loaded 12 bags of leaves so I know this will be a spring project. Aside from throwing out seed and covering it with straw is there anything else I should do to really get it going? It looks like there is about 100 different options of turf and fertilizer items when I stroll thru the yard section in Lowes and I'm not really sure what my best options are. I'd appreciate any advice.

Also, I would like to do some raised bed gardening in the side yard but I'm a complete garden newb. Is there anything I should be doing now to prepare for planting in the spring? I'd like to grow some sweet potatoes, green beans, cucumbers, new potatoes and maybe some peppers.
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 6:31:39 PM EDT
[#1]
I can't comment on the grass, but as far as the raised bed garden goes, I'd get started on a compost pile. You mentioned you loaded up a bunch of leaves. Get them shredded and start a pile. Over the winter the process may be slow, but it might be good to get it started.
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 9:12:16 PM EDT
[#2]
First and most important find a nursery or seed store in your area that actually specializes in seed. They can help you select a good grass for your situation.  It will also keep you from getting seed for another part of the country from the big box store.  

For my AO if I were in your shoes I would put down a fescue mix with some winter wheat or annual rye and cover with straw.  If you rent a slicer/seeder it will greatly improve your success rate because it puts the seed into the dirt which helps if you are dealing with hard ground. If you recently had dirt work done and have nice fluffy soil this step might not be needed. The wheat or rye will grow now which will keep you from having a mud yard all winter and it will help hold your other seed in place until spring when it pops up.  Having grass in place will also keep the weeds from taking over.  Rye and wheat are annuals and will not come back next year but they grow in colder weather and will grow into December around here. Putting the seed down now will actually give you a bigger success in the spring because the seed will already be germinated and starting coming up as soon as the warm weather starts.  

Good luck.  

ETA
For your raised beds you need to get them built and filled so you will get your first wave of settling and compaction out of the way.  Mine always drop quite a bit as they compost and settle.  Try to find a good source for compost and/or manure.  Mix equal parts black dirt, compost, and peat moss.  Supplement with more compost each year and you will have great veggies.

Grove
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 3:57:12 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
First and most important find a nursery or seed store in your area that actually specializes in seed. They can help you select a good grass for your situation.  It will also keep you from getting seed for another part of the country from the big box store.  

For my AO if I were in your shoes I would put down a fescue mix with some winter wheat or annual rye and cover with straw.  If you rent a slicer/seeder it will greatly improve your success rate because it puts the seed into the dirt which helps if you are dealing with hard ground. If you recently had dirt work done and have nice fluffy soil this step might not be needed. The wheat or rye will grow now which will keep you from having a mud yard all winter and it will help hold your other seed in place until spring when it pops up.  Having grass in place will also keep the weeds from taking over.  Rye and wheat are annuals and will not come back next year but they grow in colder weather and will grow into December around here. Putting the seed down now will actually give you a bigger success in the spring because the seed will already be germinated and starting coming up as soon as the warm weather starts.  

Good luck.  

ETA
For your raised beds you need to get them built and filled so you will get your first wave of settling and compaction out of the way.  Mine always drop quite a bit as they compost and settle.  Try to find a good source for compost and/or manure.  Mix equal parts black dirt, compost, and peat moss.  Supplement with more compost each year and you will have great veggies.

Grove
View Quote

Thank you very much. I'll check with the local feed and seed store.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top