Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/19/2014 11:46:21 AM EDT
We have five acres in the country and at one time had a trail cam just to see pics of deer back in the pasture...  We just put in a 3/4 acre pond and sewed grass seed and have some nice grass coming up.  Wife and I just found some small deer tracks back there and was thinking of putting an automatic feeder up (I bought one a couple years ago on clearance, still in the box).... question is.. how do I get them started coming in?  Should I just be putting some on the ground at first to get them coming in regularly?  

PS I know it's illegal to bait during season in my state, that's not what I'm trying to do.... We just want to watch them..... maybe next year I'll pull the feeder out before season and put a nice one in the freezer, but at this point we, just want to enjoy them.... any advice or food recommendations would be great... thanks!
Link Posted: 10/19/2014 12:07:31 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 10/19/2014 12:41:48 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Put corn in feeder.

Receive deer.

You can mix in some strawberry jello mix if they still seem reluctant.

Also, baiting usually only applies to public land, not private. In my state anyways.
View Quote

Thanks a million!  We'll give it a try.... Do you think just corn will work here? I'm in Indiana.... there is corn everywhere! LOL Like the jello idea!  And here in Indiana baiting is a big no-no even on private land.
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 1:36:27 PM EDT
[#3]
One man's passion is another man's poison.  I dodged two on the way into work this morning and my son hit one a week ago, I wish I knew how to run them off.  I do remember when it was a big treat to see one though.

To actually try and answer the question though, a neighbor used to sow a small patch of winter wheat.  The deer *really* liked something green in the winter.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top