Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/16/2014 8:40:36 PM EDT
Without getting into too much detail on the location it is 15miles from a major metro with a river separating it. It is 2 miles from a town of 3,000. 1 mile from nearest highway.
It is a fenced in 22 acre Nike missile base built in the late 50’s and occupied from 60-66.

There are a two usable buildings and a few that need to be knocked down. There are three “rooms” (12x14 + entrance hallway) that appear to have been built 5 feet down and the rest covered with earth creating three separate bunkers which I am assuming were the control bunkers. I would dig the earth out between them and connect them with shipping containers or something else.  There is a well on the site, but I am unsure if it is still good (not sure if they collapse or anything). Also has trees on the side facing the road hiding its existence pretty well. Property also has power to it right now.

Locals know about it, but that is pretty much it. Has three cement padded areas surrounded on three all sides by mounded earth where campers or trailer homes could be easily placed.

I have been looking for a place to purchase for some time. This is about the closest to the Metro I am comfortable with and only because there is a river between us and access across the river is 5 miles away West and 10-12 miles East. This also would be in my price range and has usable areas already and is surrounded by farmland. The river is close by vehicle for water and there is also a creek ¼ mile to the South.

Anyone have any idea what this area could be worth?

Sound like a decent place to start a BOL?
Link Posted: 10/16/2014 9:08:44 PM EDT
[#1]
Yes - Check for things like asbestos.
Link Posted: 10/16/2014 9:13:32 PM EDT
[#2]
First I'd figure out what the raw 22 acres of land would be worth there, then go up based on improvements.

From the air, that interior road seems like it would make a nice running track for you. Also, as you mention, those trees seem ideally located to block the view from the road. Neighbor to the North friendly? Bad neighbors can make living somewhere hell.
Link Posted: 10/16/2014 9:27:38 PM EDT
[#3]
I knew someone would find it!! ass haha. Neighbor to the North is friendly and is the current land owner. Has had it since the Gov sold it.

Did not see any asbestos in the bunkers, but two of the outbuildings are filled with mold and collapsed roofs so they would need to come down.
Link Posted: 10/16/2014 9:34:50 PM EDT
[#4]
Lol, google-fu was strong tonight I suppose. Anyhow, it seems like a good location man, would definitely make a nice BOL in my opinion.

What's an acre of land go for in that area? Once you figure that out (and multiply by 22), I'd add in for it being fenced (as long as the fence is still serviceable), and whatever price you consider the buildings and the "road" to be worth.

Around here, rural land like that would probably be in the $4k per acre range, so $88k there. Assuming the fencing is serviceable, and is the usual military style chain link, I'd add maybe $8k for that. Not knowing the size or purpose of the buildings, and just considering them as outbuildings, I'd figure $15k there. With those things, plus the well (if serviceable), electricity, and the interior road/berms, I'd be at $130k-ish? I didn't place a great deal of value on the interior road, as we don't know the condition. Also didn't take in to account historical coolness (if you or the seller place any value on that).
Link Posted: 10/16/2014 9:45:05 PM EDT
[#5]
Hard to say what its worth if we don't know the area.  If it is the bunkers out by Sidney that land is worth maybe $1000-1500 per acre.  If its the bunkers east of Hastings then that land is worth 2-3k per acre.  No rivers anywhere near those, so I am assuming its something near O, but I don't know of any old bunkers there to give any prices.  If it is close to O, then it could be worth much more.   I guess I assume it was the bunkers as you said mounded earth?

If the well is useable then that is worth 3-5k itself.  Any sewer or septic system?  Power on site would be worth a minimum of 2k.

Does the owner have an asking price or just told you to make an offer?
Link Posted: 10/16/2014 10:13:45 PM EDT
[#6]
I am thinking $3-3500 per acre. And then adding the well and fence and I still have to find out if the electric stops at the pole at the entrance or if is throughout, but I am guessing I (not myself) would have to wire the place.

I just dont have the equipment/knowledge/FUNDS to start with a property from scratch so I figured this was the next best thing.
Link Posted: 10/16/2014 10:36:23 PM EDT
[#7]
That looks like a "cool" place that you could call your own.   I'd value the land at about whatever pasture is in that area.  I'd say the required cleanup (junk/crappy buildings)negates whatever usable building/utilities are still there.      Does the guy have an asking price?  I'm sure he has a general idea of what he wants for it.
Link Posted: 10/16/2014 10:41:10 PM EDT
[#8]
Nope. No asking price and wont give me a hint at what he is thinking. I know what he paid for it back in the day, but that is it. He is a little reluctant to sell because he isn't sure what the property will be used for. I told him a few things, but not the whole story. I'm sure if I told him it would be a BOL he would be ok with it and more comfortable as he would know it would be well kept and taken care of, but being where it is he would probly tell a friend what I was doing and then everyone would know.
Link Posted: 10/16/2014 10:48:15 PM EDT
[#9]
That farmground is how much in that area?  8k on up?  Pasture is what?  $1600 on up in my area.  Id offer him 80k to start and go from there.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top