Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/12/2014 1:53:36 AM EDT
So I have 18, 2 week old Jumbo brown Coturnix Quail that I hatched out am very impressed. These things grow super fast. Scary fast.

Link Posted: 10/12/2014 2:29:23 AM EDT
[#1]
Oh and in ARFCOM fashion...

Link Posted: 10/12/2014 2:59:20 AM EDT
[#2]
I just started messing around with quail earlier this year.
Here's a pic of ten that I acquired from a local breeder.

They are prolific egg layers although mine have started slowing down due to the shortening days. What eggs I've collected in the past few weeks have gone into my recently acquired incubator, I've hatched out another ten birds and it is amazing how fast they grow out. Unfortunately my hatch out rate has dropped to only one bird in the last seven days. I've opened some over due eggs and discovered that all chick development essentially stopped around the same time. I'm pretty sure this happened as the result of a power failure, I remember coming home one day and the clocks on the stove, microwave, and nightstands were flashing. I'm guessing the power was out long enough for the temp inside my incubator to have dropped and pretty much killed all developing chicks.

Link Posted: 10/12/2014 11:31:59 AM EDT
[#3]
they start laying eggs at 8 week of age

We hatch several thousand a year and sell them to dog trainers (they have a short flight when flushed and can be flushed again and again) and for eaters.

The Coturnix quail are a lot hearty than bobwhite quail and mature a lot quicker 8 weeks vs 26 weeks.
Link Posted: 10/12/2014 11:52:12 AM EDT
[#4]
Congratulations, you have about two plates full. :P
Link Posted: 10/12/2014 4:11:58 PM EDT
[#5]
In very interested.
Link Posted: 10/12/2014 6:45:49 PM EDT
[#6]
I will some day.
Link Posted: 10/12/2014 7:31:31 PM EDT
[#7]
I picked up 4 Mexican speckled or snowflakes a couple weeks ago.  Not sure what I will do with them, but they sure are cool little dudes.
Link Posted: 10/12/2014 10:02:21 PM EDT
[#8]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I will some day.
View Quote
Really not hard at all. The most expensive thing for me was the incubator. I bought one that was not super expensive but not cheaply made for $150. You can get some incubators for less than $50 For the brooder I picked up a big rubber made container and then added a light fixture and bulb and it has worked great. The Coop was real easy too I built one to up suspended and it will be in the garage using paint trays underneath to catch waste.  I think the total I have spent Quail eggs,brooder,incubator,food,food/water dishes, and coop building supplies is around $300. Quail are pretty basic and there are people who even raise them in apartments in rabbit cages.

Link Posted: 10/12/2014 11:04:47 PM EDT
[#9]
Ive got  some gamble and coturnix, the coturnix are great egg layers

bought the eggs off ebay, pretty easy to hatch

here are the gambles

Link Posted: 10/13/2014 3:06:54 AM EDT
[#10]

Coturnix quail are my first adventure in to poultry. I might have to try other quail but everything I read makes Coturnix ahead of the pack. Why gamble?

Link Posted: 10/13/2014 9:27:49 AM EDT
[#11]
What incubator did you did you go with?
Time is why I am putting it off.
Link Posted: 10/13/2014 9:30:58 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Coturnix quail are my first adventure in to poultry. I might have to try other quail but everything I read makes Coturnix ahead of the pack. Why gamble?  
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Your pin looks good. Does it have a top?
Link Posted: 10/13/2014 10:19:25 AM EDT
[#13]

Currently you have some poop factories.  Purina Gamebird Feed is what you should be using\feeding them.

I purchased 20 3 day olds and 10 of those were female.  Culled all but two males.  Had quite a few eggs for the time we had them.  We're headed into winter so unless you are providing artificial light you're not going to get much egg production.

Anything in the cage will get poop on it.  Keep the food, eggs, and water outside the cage.

Biggest issue I had with them is flies.  Tons of flies.

You'll want an egg cutter sooner than later.  4 quail eggs to one chicken is what I've found.

Link Posted: 10/13/2014 3:15:30 PM EDT
[#14]
had them for 4 or 5 years now
I keep 6 or 8 females and 2 roos on hand
last year I sold and processed around 150 birds in a single month

this year I have just been pickling the eggs
I dont know why but I alternate from year to year... probably from having to peel that many eggs lol

my advice would be to keep them under a heat source for longer than you think
last year I lost my last hatch of the season to a cold front that blew in one night
wasnt even what I would consider cool but the temp drop killed every single one of them
and they were fully feathered
Link Posted: 10/13/2014 4:04:10 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

What incubator did you did you go with?

Time is why I am putting it off.
View Quote
I went with the Brinsea octagon 20 ECO. I could of bought a automated turner but this design is so easy to turn the eggs you just tilt it back and fourth no need to open the incubator. It can hold all sorts of eggs I have even seen videos of emu eggs being hatched out of them. It is not some cheap Styrofoam  and it is easy to clean. It is designed to hold 24 chicken eggs but seen people do more than that and for quail it says 60 eggs but I think it could hold close to 75 maybe 80 quail eggs.

I also like that the kids can watch pretty easily the eggs hatching.

Link Posted: 10/13/2014 4:08:54 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Currently you have some poop factories.  Purina Gamebird Feed is what you should be using\feeding them.
View Quote

I purchased 20 3 day olds and 10 of those were female.  Culled all but two males.  Had quite a few eggs for the time we had them.  We're headed into winter so unless you are providing artificial light you're not going to get much egg production.

Anything in the cage will get poop on it.  Keep the food, eggs, and water outside the cage.

You'll want an egg cutter sooner than later.  4 quail eggs to one chicken is what I've found.

Yep I am using the purina game bird feed. for the first few days I had used a motor and pestle to make it more of a powder so they would have an easier time eating it and it seemed to work out fine. As for the water I just picked up a bag of 20 water nipples and am designing a water system for them. Because I noticed as you said that they will poop in their water which is disconcerting because I am giving them highly purified water (berkey water)

Link Posted: 10/13/2014 4:12:28 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

had them for 4 or 5 years now

I keep 6 or 8 females and 2 roos on hand

last year I sold and processed around 150 birds in a single month

this year I have just been pickling the eggs

I dont know why but I alternate from year to year... probably from having to peel that many eggs lol

my advice would be to keep them under a heat source for longer than you think

last year I lost my last hatch of the season to a cold front that blew in one night

wasnt even what I would consider cool but the temp drop killed every single one of them

and they were fully feathered
View Quote
I do not plan on taking them out of the brooder until after week 3 or 4 and they will be in the garage coopafter that possibly with a heat lamp for the first week or two.

Link Posted: 10/13/2014 4:36:11 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Yep I am using the purina game bird feed. for the first few days I had used a motor and pestle to make it more of a powder so they would have an easier time eating it and it seemed to work out fine. As for the water I just picked up a bag of 20 water nipples and am designing a water system for them. Because I noticed as you said that they will poop in their water which is disconcerting because I am giving them highly purified water (berkey water)  
Anything below chest level\in the cage will get pooped on.

Also the cages shouldn't be too tall.  They can startle and "boink" up.  The also benefit from oyster shell and sand.

I used Sweet PDZ spreading some under the cages and in their food\grit  Won't hurt them if they eat it.  Helps control odor\flies.

http://www.tractorsupply.com/en/store/sweet-pdzreg%3B-stall-refresher-25-lb
Link Posted: 10/13/2014 6:23:03 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Anything below chest level\in the cage will get pooped on.

Also the cages shouldn't be too tall.  They can startle and "boink" up.  The also benefit from oyster shell and sand.

I used Sweet PDZ spreading some under the cages and in their food\grit  Won't hurt them if they eat it.  Helps control odor\flies.

http://www.tractorsupply.com/en/store/sweet-pdzreg%3B-stall-refresher-25-lb
The cage/coop I built is 12 inches high. Oyster shell I hear is not nessecay unless you see thin egg shells. Also a lot of people bake chicken egg shells and put them through a food processor as an alternative to oyster shell.

Yeah I have heard a lot of good stuff about Sweet PDZ. I have done a lot of reading on the quail sub forum on backyardchickens site.
Link Posted: 10/15/2014 11:52:16 AM EDT
[#20]
Use to raise quail after I got tired of the PITA that pheasants were. Also a pen that would hold 3 or 4 pheasants would happily hold dozens of quail.

Sadly I live in town now
Link Posted: 10/15/2014 6:25:41 PM EDT
[#21]
I raise coturnix, bob whites and a few a&m's.  They did not do good at all this year.  Last year I had them nestled down in cages on the ground towards the rear of my garden away from heavy traffic.  My ratio was 8/2 male to female and I got one egg a day per female.  They loved the full sun back there I guess.  This year I put them in my chicken coupe which probably only gets 3-4 hours of dabbled sunlight through the trees and I don't think they like that.  Plus the chickens probably kept them riled up and nervous, maybe they were exposed to parasites the chickens had but looked healthy.

I use the smaller Brinsea incubator and LOVE that.
Link Posted: 10/16/2014 9:52:59 AM EDT
[#22]
Cool thread.

What do the eggs and meat taste like?

Link Posted: 10/16/2014 10:05:03 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Cool thread.

View Quote
Like Chicken.  

It's really easy to dry out the meat if not prepped correctly.

The eggs are like chicken eggs substitute 4 to 1 but you get more yoke.

Link Posted: 10/16/2014 10:14:21 AM EDT
[#24]
you laid your guns down in bird poop?

TRG
Link Posted: 10/16/2014 11:11:27 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Cool thread.

View Quote

I pickle the eggs only and lots of folks that try them have said they taste like a cheese.  It's just a richer tasting egg to me.
Link Posted: 10/16/2014 11:41:52 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Cool thread.

View Quote

eggs as mentioned pretty much taste like eggs
I like them pickled they have a firmer and richer texture versus pickling a chicken egg (I dont like pickled chicken eggs,lol)
before we got chickens I used them for breakfast and everything else... just took more of them

the meat taste like... quail, its close enough to chicken and doesnt have a gamey taste to it so anybody can eat it
but its just a really small bird and it takes some care to not dry it out
mainly quail are very easy to process. most people dont pluck them and just skin them out
they have paper skin and it comes off insanely easy
can take a quail from live to dressed and ready to cook in seconds

ETA: should have kept reading... already answered haha
Link Posted: 10/18/2014 4:13:25 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

you laid your guns down in bird poop?

TRG
View Quote

Put new bedding down before the shoot. Of course they pooped even why laying bedding down but it was minimal and took photos quickly and cleaned guns.
Link Posted: 10/18/2014 4:19:19 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

I like them pickled they have a firmer and richer texture versus pickling a chicken egg (I dont like pickled chicken eggs,lol)

before we got chickens I used them for breakfast and everything else... just took more of them

the meat taste like... quail, its close enough to chicken and doesnt have a gamey taste to it so anybody can eat it

mainly quail are very easy to process. most people dont pluck them and just skin them out

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Cool thread.

My understanding is the eggs healthier than chicken eggs

Link Posted: 10/29/2014 12:58:02 AM EDT
[#29]
Well 4 weeks old now

From this

To this in 4 weeks.

And here are some more photos.

These things grow so fast. I really did not expect it.

Link Posted: 10/29/2014 2:44:57 AM EDT
[#30]
cool!
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 11:20:30 AM EDT
[#31]
they really do grow crazy fast... they almost double in size every day for the first couple days
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 2:20:21 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

they really do grow crazy fast... they almost double in size every day for the first couple days
View Quote
Only 5 0r 6 of the 18 are ladies so I have a bunch to cull. Plus I have another 24 eggs in the incubator from another breeder. I have 10 or so plump mails that will be good around Thanksgiving..  

Link Posted: 10/30/2014 2:53:14 AM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 9:03:17 AM EDT
[#34]
How hard or easy is it to prepare a quail for eating?  I have had them twice in restaurants and they were delicious.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 9:11:53 AM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 10:57:03 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
How hard or easy is it to prepare a quail for eating?  I have had them twice in restaurants and they were delicious.
View Quote

the LaRue posted video pretty much shows it

personally i use Gerber Game shears
they work and I have 2 or 3 other pairs of shears that failed on me

but while we are here...
like anything else people do things differently
this is how I do it
I dispatch my quail using a steel bar and a blow to the base of the head
sure you can just snip the head off but the quail freak out and make a mess of it

if you hold a quail in your hand and extend your hand downwards the quail will bring its head out and up
using a stick or bar or whatever I place it on my forearm and bring it down the top of my arm
by doing this the quail now wont flip out when you cut the head off, I can place the quail head down above a bucket, quick snip and mess contained
I snap the legs and wings at the first joints you break them backwards and they will show you were to cut cleanly at the joint
then with the quail breast up at you hold it with a thumb on each breast and then pull like your opening a bag of potato chips
skin comes off like a latex glove... its paper thin

again people dress quail differently but i take my shears and run them down each side of the spine
grab spine and pull and most of the time the guts go with it in a neat package
and thats that...
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 1:34:17 PM EDT
[#37]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

" quail cleaning with scissors "

Wow.  Didn't know it was that easy.  I already raise chickens maybe I should add a small pen next to them for quail next year.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 9:07:21 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:
Wow.  Didn't know it was that easy.  I already raise chickens maybe I should add a small pen next to them for quail next year.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I'd keep them separate.  THey have diseases that can cross and get in trouble.

Link Posted: 10/30/2014 9:22:17 PM EDT
[#39]
Gamble are native here where I live, I could of just caught some wild ones, but I chose to buy some eggs and raise them, they only lay eggs in the spring, they are more like pets, I enjoy their call, and just their overall apperance
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Link Posted: 10/30/2014 9:23:23 PM EDT
[#40]
My pen is fully enclosed or they would fly out, it is 10ft tall, I enclosed a mesquite bush witin it for natural habitat,with electric fence around it, to keep the coyotes out, I lost the first batch to coyotes, the electric fence works great
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 10/30/2014 9:31:13 PM EDT
[#41]

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

This, There are some other good videos that show dispatching quails to just type "how to dress a quail" in youtube and there are a bunch of techniques all pretty easy.

Link Posted: 11/4/2014 11:45:15 PM EDT
[#42]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That beats the hell how I did mine a few weeks ago.  Thanks!  Now to get me a good pair of scissors

+1 on what matefrio said.  I raised them in the coupe seperated with chickens this year for this first time and they did horrible.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top