User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/10/2014 3:34:52 PM EDT
Link Posted: 10/10/2014 4:20:40 PM EDT
[#1]
Meh, wait till the next wind storm, and let the neighbors deal with them
Link Posted: 10/10/2014 7:15:43 PM EDT
[#2]
We used to use them on all of our machines once the leaves started falling. They definitely help break up the leaves but are just about worthless in tall wet grass so they come off during the regular mowing season.
Link Posted: 10/10/2014 7:56:49 PM EDT
[#3]
Mulching blades are great for leaves. I used to make my own mulching plate as well.  Made it out of a realtors sign and small c clamps.
Link Posted: 10/11/2014 8:53:19 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Meh, wait till the next wind storm, and let the neighbors deal with them
View Quote

What if he IS the neighbor? Haha...
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 10:43:04 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 10:57:41 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
We used to use them on all of our machines once the leaves started falling. They definitely help break up the leaves but are just about worthless in tall wet grass so they come off during the regular mowing season.
View Quote

This is what I found too.  I pull them off in the spring when the grass goes crazy.

I made a plate to block off the discharge when Im cutting leaves.
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 8:40:50 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Just an update. I came back from my cabin this week to find all of the leaves finally on the ground. Went out and made a couple passes with the deck all the way up, then dropped to mowing height. They utterly destroyed the leaves. Turned them into powder.
View Quote

Yep.  I run once with the deck up, then down.  It went from pushing them up the hill to grinding them to nothing.  I don't have the mulching plug for my deck.  

I needed a new set of blades this past spring (I live on a sand hill with moles, utterly destroys JD blades).  I found in just grass they are better than stock.  I was a little worried about the rear "wing" tabs getting wore down to quick this summer, but they have held up very well.  I will buy another set in the spring to rotate sharpening.  Well worth the extra $20 over stock blades.    
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 9:49:04 AM EDT
[#8]
I use the gators rear round on my 6' Kubota deck.  I like them better than the stocks and they last longer.  Usually 2-3 seasons but by then they are shot and wore down to a nub.  I've had varied success with a mulching plug, but then we have a ton of oak leaves and I mow about 4 acres.  I made my plug out of expanded steel to let some airflow through and it works well if things are bone dry, no grass cutting, just leaves be mulched.  With the plug and dry leaves it will churn leaves into powder.  Lately I've been breaking the patches up into swaths about 75' wide.  I mow Nascar style without the plug and blow onto the uncut section and keep piling them up.  Then a couple passes to disperse the clipping at the end blowing out.  After a day or so the wind blows things around and you can't see where the swaths were and things look pretty even.
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 10:41:25 AM EDT
[#9]
I've played with grinding sharp edges on the ears.  I couldn't tell any difference....

Link Posted: 10/31/2014 10:50:21 AM EDT
[#10]
The fusions make me happy.  Those things last for months.  A huge improvement over standard blades.
Unfortunately Oregon discontinued them for my mower.  
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 1:31:09 PM EDT
[#11]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top