Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/4/2014 11:06:08 PM EDT

I really like split pea soup.  I've done some searching and split peas seem to store very well.  I haven't found a place around here to buy it in bulk and then store myself with O2 absorbers.  I did find the following at Emergency Essentials:

http://beprepared.com/split-green-peas-82-oz.html

Any advice or recommendations?

Link Posted: 10/5/2014 10:34:03 AM EDT
[#1]
We store some. Mainly to make split pea soup. We are about due to can up another batch of soup to store for the winter. Also waiting for it to cool off and plan to can a bunch of stew meat from my deer and antelope from a few weeks ago.
Link Posted: 10/5/2014 11:03:32 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
We store some. Mainly to make split pea soup. We are about due to can up another batch of soup to store for the winter. Also waiting for it to cool off and plan to can a bunch of stew meat from my deer and antelope from a few weeks ago.
View Quote

Couple of questions:

1) Do you buy it in bulk(ish)?  If so, from where?

2) Do you can the actual soup you make?  Or do you mean freeze it?

Thank you
Link Posted: 10/5/2014 11:18:00 AM EDT
[#3]
Split peas come from Allison's pantry in bulk.  Mother in law buys a bunch and hives us some. Maybe 10 or 15 pounds.  Then we make the soups and can with the pressure canner. Recipe is in the Ball book. Reasonable couple year shelf life at least. Get home grab can from pantry, heat on stove, dinner in 5 minutes.
Link Posted: 10/5/2014 11:23:58 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Split peas come from Allison's pantry in bulk.  Mother in law buys a bunch and hives us some. Maybe 10 or 15 pounds.  Then we make the soups and can with the pressure canner. Recipe is in the Ball book. Reasonable couple year shelf life at least. Get home grab can from pantry, heat on stove, dinner in 5 minutes.
View Quote

That stuff from emergency essentials is probably it. 5lbs of split peas is a shit load of split peas. I will dig up my thread from earlier this year.
Link Posted: 10/5/2014 11:33:50 AM EDT
[#5]
http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_10_19/675024_Our_2014_adventures.html

man I can't remember how to make the link hot but its all in there.
Link Posted: 10/5/2014 7:23:16 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

That stuff from emergency essentials is probably it. 5lbs of split peas is a shit load of split peas. I will dig up my thread from earlier this year.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thank you, mevertsen, I really appreciate your response.  I like the idea of canning.  I usually make a whole bunch of the soup and then freeze it in smaller quantities for the week.  Split pea soup is easy to make and the ingredients can be dry to start off with.  It also has a high nutritional value.
Link Posted: 10/5/2014 9:34:24 PM EDT
[#7]
Check for moderate sized amounts from a commercial food store, Gordon Food Service, or similar.  5 to 10 lb bags, or 30 lb cases are common.
Other places to check are bulk health food stores, we get our wheat from a 7th Day Adventist store (not affiliated with them in any other way)

Our peas and beans store just fine in a clean sealed container (zip lock bag) without mylar foil or oxygen absorbers ... but we go through a few hundred of pounds of beans and rice a year.
Link Posted: 10/5/2014 11:13:01 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Check for moderate sized amounts from a commercial food store, Gordon Food Service, or similar.  5 to 10 lb bags, or 30 lb cases are common.
Other places to check are bulk health food stores, we get our wheat from a 7th Day Adventist store (not affiliated with them in any other way)

Our peas and beans store just fine in a clean sealed container (zip lock bag) without mylar foil or oxygen absorbers ... but we go through a few hundred of pounds of beans and rice a year.
View Quote

It's a good way to get complete protein.  Split peas have a lot of protein but they aren't complete with the 20 essential amino acids.  But the rice you use has the balance of essential amino acids.  I'd like to start eating more rice.  I'll take a look at commercial food stores.
Link Posted: 10/9/2014 11:57:15 AM EDT
[#9]
I can pea soup...

Don' simmer until its done.  When you pressure can, it will be over cooked.  I bring my recipe up to a good roiling boil, dump in hot jars, then pressure can per Ball's recommendations.  the one hour + in the canner at higher pressure can temps does the trick nicely.  The soup comes out cooked/simmer just right.

It's got to be done in a pressure canner.  Pea soup is low acid, so water bath won't do it.

Fro
Link Posted: 10/9/2014 12:36:27 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_10_19/675024_Our_2014_adventures.html

man I can't remember how to make the link hot but its all in there.
View Quote

Missed your thread.  Why did you bake the meat first?

TRG
Link Posted: 10/9/2014 10:05:36 PM EDT
[#11]
Hot pack.  Per the instructions in the Ball book.  Only baked enough to sear the meat but get it hot enough for the hot jars and hot water.
Link Posted: 10/11/2014 10:50:11 PM EDT
[#12]
I can't seem to find them anywhere other than local grocers and they only carry them in 1lb packs,

What I have on hand I've stored dry in 1qt mason jars by hot sealing them in the oven.

Link Posted: 10/14/2014 5:13:54 PM EDT
[#13]
I buy beans and rice from Restaurant Depot, and package in mylar with O2 absorbers.
Sometimes i purchase from sams or Costco.
Link Posted: 10/17/2014 12:16:41 AM EDT
[#14]

I'm still reading comments/advice.  I placed an order for some cans from the link in the OP.  If you've never tried split pea soup, I would give it a try.  Very nutritious and easy to make.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 10/18/2014 9:10:11 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

IME two pounds of dried split peas turns into a crockpot full (to the brim) of soup.  I add about a pound of ham, dice it later, and a pound of carrots and celery and some seasoning.

I'm with you on the freezer meals. Haven't tried canning it though.

I do the same thing with peas that I do with beans - "look" them on a plate then soak in tap water for 30 minutes then drain before using in recipe.  Reduces ensuing GI discomfort to nearly none, don't know if it  just dissolves or rinses away some of the fiber or what.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top