Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/20/2014 7:38:52 PM EDT
I have been looking to buy some land to build on.  I found 16+ acres for sale.  Mostly cleared , used to be a farm.  Would be perfect for planting an apple orchard, big garden, and plenty of flat space on top of the hill to build.  It has a nice view of the valley below, but my hang up is that there is a major highway running at the bottom of the valley.  Maybe I'm worrying too much about the property being visible to the highway, but would that bother anyone else?
Link Posted: 9/20/2014 8:11:28 PM EDT
[#1]
Yip it would...esp if you want to shoot on it, etc. Im looking at property and cabins and have the same issues. Something to consider also is check with ppl around you concerning wells. The areas Im looking at seem to have well/spring issues during the dry times.
Link Posted: 9/20/2014 8:47:58 PM EDT
[#2]
My last place was similar to this.  Except I was directly above the state hwy.  I was on a high bluff about 125ft above the road.  You could not see the property, but I hated it due to the fact that it was so accessible in case things went bad.

We rectified that with the next place, thank goodness.

I would not do it again.
Link Posted: 9/24/2014 8:27:37 PM EDT
[#3]
You might get tired of road noise too. On the other hand, there are some advantages to being close to a major highway when you need to go somewhere, or if you ever want to market something you grow. I spent part of my formative years on a similarly situated property, and those were some of the best years of my life.
Link Posted: 9/25/2014 9:05:57 AM EDT
[#4]
well a little update on this, I found out that probably about a mile down the road is a major garbage dump, hence the reason why the property is still for sale.  I can only imagine the odor in the summer heat could get pretty bad if the wind was blowing the right direction.
Link Posted: 9/25/2014 10:42:07 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
well a little update on this, I found out that probably about a mile down the road is a major garbage dump, hence the reason why the property is still for sale.  I can only imagine the odor in the summer heat could get pretty bad if the wind was blowing the right direction.
View Quote

Yip gotta research an area til your blue in the face.
Link Posted: 9/26/2014 2:51:02 PM EDT
[#6]
I was looking at some property and found a great deal on a land/home. House was ok needed some work but lots of lg out buildings and about 25 acres.

I got on Google earth and spotted a quarry not too far away. So I googled the name of the mine, then found there were all these lawsuits from the town. There were complaints of dirt blowing from the quarry and covering EVERYTHING, then the explosions, and finally the massive slides within the mine and the mine trying to annex surrounding properties to contain the slides.

If it sounds too good to be true...then it probably is.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 1:07:37 AM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

I subdivided a half section back in 07.  Sold off most of the lots before summer, but I kept one for myself.  I built the house that summer.  That's when I realized that the 120,000 head feedlot, located 15 miles away could knock you over if the wind was perfectly from the south.  Sold that house the next fall.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top