Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/18/2014 10:48:39 PM EDT
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 11:11:40 PM EDT
[#1]
I dice them and freeze them. not good for fresh recipes, but works well when browning beef for tacos or making chili. I did stuff and bread some of them and freeze them to make my own jalapeno poppers. They turned out a little soggy.
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 11:25:00 PM EDT
[#2]
jalapenos + bacon + cream cheese + fire = problem solved
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 11:28:21 PM EDT
[#3]
I canned 25 jars of jalaps so far.  Still a ton more peppers on the plants.

So, I guess I vote for canning. It's a useful skill to learn.
Link Posted: 9/19/2014 4:36:50 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I dice them and freeze them. not good for fresh recipes, but works well when browning beef for tacos or making chili. I did stuff and bread some of them and freeze them to make my own jalapeno poppers. They turned out a little soggy.
View Quote

I've always had the same mushiness problem with both frozen and canned jalapenos. This summer I did a few quick experiments, and had the best luck by freezing whole, unblanched peppers.  They still weren't as crisp and firm as fresh peppers, but they were passable.

In order of crispiness, here are my results:
1. unblanched, whole, frozen
2. unblanched, sliced, frozen
3. blanched, whole, frozen
4. blanched, sliced, frozen
5. pickled, water-bath canned

I've also done pressure-canned jalapenos (not brined/pickled) in the past, but those were the mushyest of all.
Link Posted: 9/19/2014 5:38:58 AM EDT
[#5]
Jalapeno pepper jelly

Recipes
Link Posted: 9/19/2014 7:16:33 AM EDT
[#6]
I'll take some
Link Posted: 9/19/2014 12:59:10 PM EDT
[#7]
Slice and pickle them. I was given a large paper grocery sack full a few years back. I sliced them in the food processor and canned them. We have 2 qts left. they had cross polinated with habeneros that grew next to them or so i was told, but these jokers will set your face on fire.

You can smoke and dry them too Chipolte Peppers
Link Posted: 9/19/2014 1:13:48 PM EDT
[#8]
Puree them in a blended with a little water, vinegar and salt.  = Hot sauce
Keep refrigerated.
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 3:21:00 PM EDT
[#9]
Throw them in a freezer bag and put them in the deep freeze.  They are great for any Mexican cooking or chili.  Make sure its a deep freeze and not a frost free freezer or else you will end up with soggy japs.  

Grove
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 4:39:15 PM EDT
[#10]
Throw some in with your pickles.  Bam!  Spicy pickles.
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 5:09:14 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
My tomatoes didn't do very well this year so no canned salsa.  My jalapeños on the other hand did great but I have no idea what to do with them.  I though about dehydrating them but what can I do with them later.  Any other ideas?
View Quote

Dehydrate them, bread them, and deep-fry them.
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 5:32:52 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Jalapeno pepper jelly

Recipes
View Quote

I vote this, my coworker makes this and ghost pepper jelly, both are awesome.
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 7:02:48 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Jalapeno pepper jelly

Recipes
View Quote

This on top of cream cheese on a Ritz cracker is one of my favorite snacks.
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 10:29:27 PM EDT
[#14]
I smoke mine and can them. Pecan seems to work best.
Link Posted: 9/23/2014 2:17:47 PM EDT
[#15]
Let em turn red. Then halve them lengthwise, seed & smoke for a couple 2-3 hrs.  Dehydrate them real good & grind to make awesome chipotle powder!

Link Posted: 9/23/2014 2:51:06 PM EDT
[#16]
Jalapeño jelly.
Link Posted: 9/23/2014 4:21:36 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

I've always had the same mushiness problem with both frozen and canned jalapenos. This summer I did a few quick experiments, and had the best luck by freezing whole, unblanched peppers.  They still weren't as crisp and firm as fresh peppers, but they were passable.

I've also done pressure-canned jalapenos (not brined/pickled) in the past, but those were the mushyest of all.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I've experimented with pickling lime and jalapenos this year.  So far they have stayed very crisp as pickled peppers, water bath.  Previously, I have always had mushyness issues as well.  We shall see how they hold up.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top