Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/12/2014 1:59:08 PM EDT
There been a leak in my building for awhile and having some ongoing health issues it just was not a priority. The wood is still solid can I just spray it down and fix the roof? This is just a 8x16 wooded building and I would like to go in there at times but mainly just used for storage of tools, lawnmower and such.
Link Posted: 9/12/2014 2:08:30 PM EDT
[#1]
Yes.  Stop the leak, put some monster fans in there to dry it out, then spray and soak things down with a 10% bleach solution.
Link Posted: 9/12/2014 3:29:55 PM EDT
[#2]
I don't disagree with the above but with how mold has taken off in the last decade I would run some searches and see exactly what they recomend.

Getting the leak stopped and getting things dried off and some initial bleach is what I would probably do first just to stop what was there and get things moving.

I know they are making all sorts of stuff for mold and while it is just an out building I would look at options and do some reading.

I am often happy with bleach but now and then I run into something like mold that is a big deal now and every few years a search can be educational.

Wood is porous.  I don't know if you can easily kill all the mold of not.

For an outbuilding I would not worry about it.

I still remember the trailer built in florida that got some mold in it and caused all wood in that trailer to be removed.  Die-tryin I think had that thread.  Sorry if I am off on the name.

Link Posted: 9/12/2014 3:44:15 PM EDT
[#3]
If you can see all the studs and its not hidden behind drywall or paneling, I'd go with the 1) Fix roof, 2) dry out, 3) kill mold w/ bleach.  I'd take it 1 more step and use a anti-mold paint to cover affected area.  

http://solutions.kilz.com/solution/41
Link Posted: 9/12/2014 3:56:42 PM EDT
[#4]
Bleach is good on solid surfaces.  For wood I would recommend scrubbing with a borax and vinegar mix.  The vinegar will penetrate the wood better.
Link Posted: 9/12/2014 8:03:06 PM EDT
[#5]
For wood I would recommend scrubbing with a borax and vinegar mix. The vinegar will penetrate the wood better.
View Quote

Affirmative.

Here's a few more tips.

Mold Removal

If you do think of bleach spray, go with the Clorox"clingy" bleach (stays on longer.) It's like a gel.

Had me a farmhouse built in 1857 down in a very damp valley next to a creek. Dang! That place smelt the worst I've ever smelled of mold, fungus, and rot. It got up into the walls, horsehair plaster, beams, siding--what a job. Had to dry the place out using the furnace, heaters, fans, dehumidifiers, and the like. Then whacked it with bleach.

Mold ain't fun.
Link Posted: 9/12/2014 9:09:26 PM EDT
[#6]
Antifreeze, seriously.  One of the best antimicrobials you can buy.  I use it on wood, my driveway, roof etc...

Don't believe? Put some on that moldy driveway or stained roof and wait a few weeks/month/ it's gone and won't come back, be careful of animals though.  Or you can google wood rot preventer.
Link Posted: 9/14/2014 2:35:36 AM EDT
[#7]
Best thing to kill organics with that's (relatively) safe is high percentage hydrogen peroxide. NOT the stuff in the brown bottle. You'll have to seek out a chemical place or one of those new age type suppliers.

Peroxide will penetrate and kill stuff dead, breaking down into oxygen and water.

Also, ozone generators can be rented, but ozone is tricky. It will rust stuff if you aren't careful.

Shawn
Link Posted: 9/16/2014 8:07:59 AM EDT
[#8]
Hydrogen Peroxide FTW.  If you can’t find the strong stuff, buy the regular HP at the drug store.  Put it in a Pyrex/Corning wear bowl and warm on the stove.  HP’s boiling point is 302.4.  Simmering it lets the water boil off leaving a higher concentration of HP.
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 8:41:25 AM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Hydrogen Peroxide FTW.  If you can’t find the strong stuff, buy the regular HP at the drug store.  Put it in a Pyrex/Corning wear bowl and warm on the stove.  HP’s boiling point is 302.4.  Simmering it lets the water boil off leaving a higher concentration of HP.
View Quote

ding ding ding we have a winner!
Link Posted: 9/20/2014 8:56:21 AM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Bleach is good on solid surfaces.  For wood I would recommend scrubbing with a borax and vinegar mix.  The vinegar will penetrate the wood better.
View Quote

This.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top