Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/11/2014 9:43:24 PM EDT
Here is my recipe.  How would you can this?  Pressure or boil?  Beans by themselves are low acid but this recipe has basalmic vinegar lime and lemon.  Read over it and tell me your opinions.

Link Posted: 9/11/2014 9:50:05 PM EDT
[#1]
I see the recipe has a half cup of vinegar, along with lemon and lime juices.
If this is going to go straight into the fridge after you make it, definitely just water bathe it.
It sounds like it should be acidic enough.
Link Posted: 9/11/2014 9:51:24 PM EDT
[#2]
I made 8 batches of that recipe.  We like beans
Link Posted: 9/11/2014 10:01:42 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I made 8 batches of that recipe.  We like beans
View Quote

I don't blame you! Sounds tasty, for sure.
I don't know the exact amount off hand, but once you get to a decent % of vinegar in a canning process, it becomes pretty hard for anything to grow in there/botulism once it is sealed.
Throwing it in the fridge will just help that further. If you think about how long salsa stays good in the fridge, you can kind of see why.

Enjoy that mexican bean salad!
Link Posted: 9/12/2014 4:25:32 AM EDT
[#4]
Building your own canning recipes is generally discouraged, and if it were me I wouldn't be willing to take any risk with it.  Yeah it's got vinegar (and lemon/lime juice) to bump up the acidity, and it might be OK... but is it worth it to take a chance?  Instead, I'd experiment with modifying the recipe so that it cooks in the pressure canner... start with dry beans only partially cooked before canning, etc.  You can probably find a good combo of raw/partially cooked ingredients that would lead to a decent taste and texture after pressure canning.

Another option would be to build at a dry mix for the recipe, and just store the basic ingredients packaged together.  Dried beans, dehydrated corn, peppers, onions and seasonings, mixed together in the correct proportions and then dry-canned, vacuum-packed, or mylar/O2'd.  To prepare you'd just have to add the wet ingredients (which are probably better stored separately anyway) and cook for the requisite time.  Not quite as trouble-free as popping the lid of a jar and throwing it in a microwave, but the end result would likely have better taste and texture than a PC version.

Just MHO...
Link Posted: 9/12/2014 9:00:14 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Building your own canning recipes is generally discouraged, and if it were me I wouldn't be willing to take any risk with it.  Yeah it's got vinegar (and lemon/lime juice) to bump up the acidity, and it might be OK... but is it worth it to take a chance?  Instead, I'd experiment with modifying the recipe so that it cooks in the pressure canner... start with dry beans only partially cooked before canning, etc.  You can probably find a good combo of raw/partially cooked ingredients that would lead to a decent taste and texture after pressure canning.

Another option would be to build at a dry mix for the recipe, and just store the basic ingredients packaged together.  Dried beans, dehydrated corn, peppers, onions and seasonings, mixed together in the correct proportions and then dry-canned, vacuum-packed, or mylar/O2'd.  To prepare you'd just have to add the wet ingredients (which are probably better stored separately anyway) and cook for the requisite time.  Not quite as trouble-free as popping the lid of a jar and throwing it in a microwave, but the end result would likely have better taste and texture than a PC version.

Just MHO...
View Quote

No I think that is a good practice to not can a trusted recipe.  Just to be safe I went ahead and pressure cooked this at 30 minutes/10lbs.  I do not know what it will do to the consistency of beans since they were cooked already but it will be safe.
Link Posted: 9/16/2014 12:38:56 PM EDT
[#6]
Water Bath.  Sold my Pressure Cooker years ago.  My wife prepares everything in water bath.
Link Posted: 9/16/2014 12:54:40 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Water Bath.  Sold my Pressure Cooker years ago.  My wife prepares everything in water bath.
View Quote

You really should refrain from giving advice that can make people die.
Unless you're only canning high-acid foods like tomatoes or fruit, you're basically playing Russian roulette with a deadly pathogen.
Link Posted: 9/16/2014 3:13:40 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote

Wow...
Link Posted: 9/16/2014 8:32:43 PM EDT
[#9]
It sounds good......If it was me, I would make a batch at a time and keep the rest in the fridge...The other seven batches would be better stored as ingredients.

I think pressure canning is the only safe way to go...but pressure canning will probably make the consistency off.

Do you serve this cold or hot?  

Either way, I am going to tag for a later date!

Link Posted: 9/17/2014 11:03:47 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
It sounds good......If it was me, I would make a batch at a time and keep the rest in the fridge...The other seven batches would be better stored as ingredients.

I think pressure canning is the only safe way to go...but pressure canning will probably make the consistency off.

Do you serve this cold or hot?  

Either way, I am going to tag for a later date!

View Quote

Best served cold.  I am going to let the ones I pressure cooked sit for another week or so then try it.  I will post results but this is a must try recipe!
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 11:44:28 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Unless you're only canning high-acid foods like tomatoes or fruit, you're basically playing Russian roulette with a deadly pathogen.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

While I know pressure canning is recommended for lots of stuff now my people have used the same recipe for canning green beans in water bath canners for generations at this point without any trouble.   I do know that there are lots of things that water bath recipes are no longer published for.
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 3:39:28 PM EDT
[#12]
I just go with a pressure canner because for one it's better to be safe than sorry and also because it looks like an AR15 bolt face.  It has 8 locking lugs like an AR bolt, the pressure pipe in the middle like the firing pin, and a steam indicator plug where the ejector would be.  I think it's cool that way.
Link Posted: 9/19/2014 12:28:39 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I just go with a pressure canner because for one it's better to be safe than sorry and also because it looks like an AR15 bolt face.  It has 8 locking lugs like an AR bolt, the pressure pipe in the middle like the firing pin, and a steam indicator plug where the ejector would be.  I think it's cool that way.
View Quote

Interesting analogy.  I'd like to pick your brain over a few beers.  

I could wait no longer so I opened a can of this recipe which was pressure cooked at 10lbs/30 min.  The texture of the beans are damn near close to the batches I cooked in the water bath for 15 min.  The corn was still crunchy and the beans were not soggy.  The bell pepper did soften but I think in doing so it released more flavor.  

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top