Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/31/2014 2:08:22 PM EDT
The horse flies are worse than I ever remember in my AO.  I almost gave up working in the garden yesterday for lack of anti aircraft support.

Does anyone have first hand experience with effective ways to control them?  I know there are chemicals available, but I'd rather not go the nuclear option.  Yet.
Link Posted: 8/31/2014 2:22:32 PM EDT
[#1]
Bug-a-salt?
Link Posted: 8/31/2014 2:40:03 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 8/31/2014 2:41:39 PM EDT
[#3]
Salt gun
Link Posted: 8/31/2014 2:52:04 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Bug-a-salt?
View Quote

This is what I've always heard.

They are terrible where I live.

We have a wooded lot with a creek. They seem to love it here.

They fly into the windows so hard, I swear they have moved my house off the foundation.
Link Posted: 8/31/2014 5:22:47 PM EDT
[#5]
Airsoft ...

I was doing this last night with spiders...

Don't ask...
Link Posted: 8/31/2014 7:00:09 PM EDT
[#6]
Control deer, horse and/or moose flies?? Nope, ain't going to happen.

If you have to get something done outside and they're buzzing around your head, driving you crazy you have two options ...

go back inside

or

put in some ear plugs so the buzzing doesn't drive you insane,
dress in thick winter clothes if it's not 100 degrees out
swat the ones that that find skin
and
go inside to scratch the bites while complaining about those flying devils.
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 2:01:26 AM EDT
[#7]
Get an old junk hat. Get yellow sticky fly cards. Put sticky on back of hat. Horseflies go to the side away from the eyes and they will get stuck. They used to make a hat product like this, but I can't find it anymore. It works. Still get bit, just less.
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 2:13:21 PM EDT
[#8]
Find out if these folks can adapt their mosquito laser fence for horseflies...
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 3:26:31 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Airsoft ...

I was doing this last night with spiders...

Don't ask...
View Quote

WOW and I thought I was the only one that got that bored!!
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 10:23:31 AM EDT
[#10]
Don't get the Bug-A-Salt. It's a fun toy, but it you really want to kill flying objects get your favorite CO2 powered pellet gun and one of these.
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 10:23:31 AM EDT
[#11]
Don't get the Bug-A-Salt. It's a fun toy, but it you really want to kill flying objects get your favorite CO2 powered pellet gun and one of these.
Link Posted: 9/5/2014 2:00:10 AM EDT
[#12]
It must be a cycle thing for the Horse flys, as they are out of frickin' control up here as well.

What is really odd, is they showed up in late August as normal, but this year all the spraying for new invasives  didn't  knock the numbers back at all.

One of the neighbors swears by blue party cups smeared with glue trap sticky. He ties the cups on a length of string attached to trees on field edges, the bird feeder, and the porch.
They target movement and apparently are drawn to the blue color for some reason.

Link Posted: 9/5/2014 6:36:50 AM EDT
[#13]
There's no sign of let-up around here.  I've taken advantage of some storm fronts since the flies don't seem to like being out when it's about to rain.  My tomatoes are almost finished and I hauled my carrots in so there's less that I have to do outside for a little while.  

For all of the horseflies we've had this year, what I don't remember seeing in any appreciable numbers are junebugs - just one or two here and there.  We ususlly have scads of them, too.  There were fewer Japanese beetles, too, but I've been actively trapping them for several years and have notice their numbers steadily decreasing.
Link Posted: 9/5/2014 7:07:37 AM EDT
[#14]
Biting flies are a scourge upon the Earth.

They must have some purpose, but I haven't figured it out yet.
Link Posted: 9/5/2014 7:34:20 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Bug-a-salt?
View Quote

Came here to post this
Link Posted: 9/5/2014 7:58:01 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
There's no sign of let-up around here.  I've taken advantage of some storm fronts since the flies don't seem to like being out when it's about to rain.  My tomatoes are almost finished and I hauled my carrots in so there's less that I have to do outside for a little while.  

For all of the horseflies we've had this year, what I don't remember seeing in any appreciable numbers are junebugs - just one or two here and there.  We ususlly have scads of them, too.  There were fewer Japanese beetles, too, but I've been actively trapping them for several years and have notice their numbers steadily decreasing.
View Quote

We had very few June bugs this year. I call them July bugs since that is when I usually start seeing them. Most years they are so thick that you can't walk around outside without them running into you and are constantly bumping into windows and glass doors.

Hardly even noticed them this year.

It's been a strange year for a lot of things. I had hoped that the unusually cold winter would thin out some of the wasp and bees. We started seeing considerably more early in the year instead of less.

Also we have a big flock of swallows nesting in our barn every summer. They left two or three weeks sooner than normal.

Edited to add: Rat shot works pretty good on carpenter bees, might work on horse flies if you can catch them landing somewhere.

Link Posted: 9/5/2014 8:29:23 AM EDT
[#17]
.22 birshot
Link Posted: 9/5/2014 8:50:19 AM EDT
[#18]
9mil has been working well for us lately...

Link Posted: 9/5/2014 10:01:18 AM EDT
[#19]
Badminton racquet?  

Am I the only one who has called these "badmittin" racquets my entire life?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top