Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/25/2014 7:51:32 PM EDT
Well after struggling to heat our home with an older insert last winter, today I took the plunge and purchased a new woodstove.
After much research I decided to get This. It will be installed on October 7th.
Hopefully it will significantly reduce our oil consumption
Link Posted: 8/25/2014 9:09:29 PM EDT
[#1]
We used a similar Buck Stove for years, and it provided plenty of heat. I recommend purchasing an additional blower just encase yours goes bad. We had one go bad and Buck had stopped making that type so we had to get a universal blower. It worked OK but not like the original.
Link Posted: 8/25/2014 9:13:13 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 8/25/2014 9:23:15 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Nice stove.

Looks very similar to our Castine. If you can put up with the trade-offs, you can likely reduce your oil use to nothing.
View Quote

What are the trade-offs that you speak of?
Link Posted: 8/25/2014 9:25:07 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
We used a similar Buck Stove for years, and it provided plenty of heat. I recommend purchasing an additional blower just encase yours goes bad. We had one go bad and Buck had stopped making that type so we had to get a universal blower. It worked OK but not like the original.
View Quote

Good advice with the blower. I could not find a replacement blower for my current insert. Thankfully I found the one that belongs with it before the winter as it would have been just about useless without it.
Link Posted: 8/25/2014 9:33:48 PM EDT
[#5]
Multiply the advertised square footage claim by .68 and that will get you what the stove will actually heat.

Link Posted: 8/25/2014 10:06:04 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 8/25/2014 10:30:55 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Stove room that is hot, other rooms that are cold.

Having to deal with the stove every morning before you shit, shower or shave.

The never ceasing need to haul wood, rain or shine.

I think those are the biggest trade-offs. We heat 100% with wood in a free standing wood stove (no blower) and have done for the last six years. Don't plan to change....but there are definite downsides to wood heat. Supplementing your principal heat source with wood is a different kettle of fish.

Good luck either way....and you bought an excellent stove.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Nice stove.

Looks very similar to our Castine. If you can put up with the trade-offs, you can likely reduce your oil use to nothing.

What are the trade-offs that you speak of?

Stove room that is hot, other rooms that are cold.

Having to deal with the stove every morning before you shit, shower or shave.

The never ceasing need to haul wood, rain or shine.

I think those are the biggest trade-offs. We heat 100% with wood in a free standing wood stove (no blower) and have done for the last six years. Don't plan to change....but there are definite downsides to wood heat. Supplementing your principal heat source with wood is a different kettle of fish.

Good luck either way....and you bought an excellent stove.

Thanks for clarifying. We currently have a woodstove in the basement and an insert upstairs. We struggled all winter heating the house with this set-up mainly because of the insert not producing enough usable heat. We did try moving fans around and keeping the basement door open and all of that helped a great deal.
I am fairly confident that a freestanding stove, especially the one that I just got will produce more heat and be much more efficient. As far as wood cutting and hauling, I like doing it and make money doing it as well. I used to sell hundreds of cords a year to keep my guys busy in the off season and to make some additional income. I have already started to stockpile for next year and will again be selling wood as extra income. We have an almost endless supply which helps too
Thanks for the compliment on the stove. Jotul makes a solid stove.
Link Posted: 8/25/2014 10:51:49 PM EDT
[#8]
Nice.

We waned a Jotul but ended up getting a $600 Orly from Craigslist.

It heats our 2,700 Sq Ft up-stairs in single digit weather. Wood stoves are incredible.
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 12:01:01 PM EDT
[#9]
In our old house we have a freestanding wood stove with a blower and we loved it. It was set in a corner which the hearth and surrounding wall was stone. Once that sucker got a nice bed of coals we would feed it one stick at a time and it would run me out. I wish we had one now but the new house has NG logs which is better than nothing.
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 2:20:34 PM EDT
[#10]
I don't know just how practical this one would be, but for aesthetic value, this looks nice...

http://jotul.com/us/products/stoves/jotul-f-370

Link Posted: 8/26/2014 2:39:19 PM EDT
[#11]

I saw this one in the store and liked it. It is way too small to heat our home but we may look at it next year when we finish redoing our lake house. We don't have electricity down there but are going to be putting in a mini fridge and some bunk beds for "camping out at the lake" and would like to have a heat source in case someone wants to stay there or I get in trouble with the wife
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 6:16:59 PM EDT
[#12]
I'm in the process of having an Englander 30-NC installed in my SC TN home of 2050 sq. ft.  No more +$1200 propane bills in the middle of winter!

So far, I have about 6 cords of wood seasoning out in my pole barn area, including about 2 cords of very old (+200 years) red oak that came down during the nor AL tornadoes of April 2011.  I have about 20 acres of woods with lots of standing dead trees.  I need to get to work on my wood shed!
Link Posted: 8/28/2014 4:46:09 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I'm in the process of having an Englander 30-NC installed in my SC TN home of 2050 sq. ft.  No more +$1200 propane bills in the middle of winter!

So far, I have about 6 cords of wood seasoning out in my pole barn area, including about 2 cords of very old (+200 years) red oak that came down during the nor AL tornadoes of April 2011.  I have about 20 acres of woods with lots of standing dead trees.  I need to get to work on my wood shed!
View Quote

That is a nice stove. Approximately how much will you burn in an average season? Red Oak is very good wood but requires a minimum of two years to properly season. I have a lot of standing dead ash and some Red Oaks that need to come down. A good portion of our property is primarily Red Oaks, Red Maple and White and Black Ash. I like you will be busy cutting wood this year. I just had our forestry plan done and the forester told me that we should start thinning so I have according to him about 80-90 cords to get in the next few years
We are also trying to buy the lot next to us (98 acres) which also needs to be thinned.
Link Posted: 8/28/2014 6:20:43 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

That is a nice stove. Approximately how much will you burn in an average season? Red Oak is very good wood but requires a minimum of two years to properly season. I have a lot of standing dead ash and some Red Oaks that need to come down. A good portion of our property is primarily Red Oaks, Red Maple and White and Black Ash. I like you will be busy cutting wood this year. I just had our forestry plan done and the forester told me that we should start thinning so I have according to him about 80-90 cords to get in the next few years
We are also trying to buy the lot next to us (98 acres) which also needs to be thinned.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

CE, I have no idea since I don't know how well the stove will work for this house, it's been over 25 years since I heated a house with a wood stove!

My red oak is from the April 2011 tornadoes, it's been cut and stacked since May 2011.  But you're right about red oak taking +3 years, a lot of people don't know that and try to burn it before it's time and then complain about the stove!

I gots to get working on my wood shed!!!!!

Link Posted: 8/28/2014 9:19:54 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 8/28/2014 10:22:03 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
FWIW, we burn about 5 cords a year on average.
View Quote

That's pretty good. We went through approximately six cords this past winter. We just moved to Maine from NY on January 10th so I am guessing that we would have burned about eight cords if we were here in October. Good thing I got a good start on wood last spring when we were here setting up the house
Link Posted: 8/28/2014 10:56:16 PM EDT
[#17]
Nice stove.  We have a Lopi Republic 1750 insert and love it.  Heats our little 1300 sq foot home really well.  We go through 2-3 cords a winter.
Link Posted: 8/29/2014 9:01:35 AM EDT
[#18]
FWIW, modern 4000 sf house, 100% wood heat in an EPA HE stove I burn 2.5 - 4 cords per year. The 4 cords was last year (nastiest winter we've had since I started burning wood 5 seasons ago) and the 2.5 cords was winter of '11-'12 (very mild winter).
Link Posted: 8/29/2014 6:24:38 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
FWIW, we burn about 5 cords a year on average.
View Quote

So, you're saying I have about 3 years worth of seasoned wood???

SE TN vs. PA.  When we discuss "cold" here, it's usually about the temp of beer, not the ambient outside temp.  

Link Posted: 8/30/2014 8:12:05 AM EDT
[#20]
Hey OP,
My sister is having your EXACT jotul stove installed tuesday. They have 8 cords split and waiting.  I'll post pics and updates if u like.

I had a jotul c450 installed last summer and burned for the first time this past winter. I burned 3.5 cord last winter which was nasty. But most of the winter i forgot to lock all the windows and had a double hung window slide down 4 inches on me mid winter and i didnt come across it until the end of winters grip. I bet only go thru 2.5 this year or less.
I LOVE burning wood, i love the smell and the homesteader aspect of it. I have 16 pallets stacked and waiting.
Best part is, i LOVE JOTUL STOVES. I think they are the best out there.

Link Posted: 8/30/2014 2:50:31 PM EDT
[#21]
Congratulations! Hope you have plenty of wood seasoned and stacked for it. I've heard lots of people speculating this coming winter could be as bad as last or worse.

Sharp looking stove. Can't wait to see pictures of it installed.
Link Posted: 8/30/2014 3:52:04 PM EDT
[#22]
Nice!! And want!!
Is that the model with the cooking basket in the top?
Link Posted: 8/30/2014 4:09:33 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Hey OP,
My sister is having your EXACT jotul stove installed tuesday. They have 8 cords split and waiting.  I'll post pics and updates if u like.

I had a jotul c450 installed last summer and burned for the first time this past winter. I burned 3.5 cord last winter which was nasty. But most of the winter i forgot to lock all the windows and had a double hung window slide down 4 inches on me mid winter and i didnt come across it until the end of winters grip. I bet only go thru 2.5 this year or less.
I LOVE burning wood, i love the smell and the homesteader aspect of it. I have 16 pallets stacked and waiting.
Best part is, i LOVE JOTUL STOVES. I think they are the best out there.

http://i229.photobucket.com/albums/ee212/chrisp929/77FFA937-CDC8-458C-A229-FC36DD2B4BDB_zpscd9vovrp.jpg
View Quote

Yes I would appreciate some pics of the install.
Link Posted: 8/30/2014 4:21:11 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Nice!! And want!!
View Quote

It is the next model up. We did not want the cook basket or ash pan as that stove would have three gaskets to maintain. I have also heard that the top door is not very large so loading wood is difficult. I did a lot of research on stoves and hope that I made the right choice.
Link Posted: 8/30/2014 6:14:03 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

It is the next model up. We did not want the cook basket or ash pan as that stove would have three gaskets to maintain. I have also heard that the top door is not very large so loading wood is difficult. I did a lot of research on stoves and hope that I made the right choice.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Nice!! And want!!

Those are good points. What did that set you back? If you don't mind my asking.
Link Posted: 8/31/2014 9:01:11 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Nice!! And want!!

The stove was $2399.00 and they are running a $300.00 rebate until August 31st. I also ordered the blower for the stove which was $348.00
Stainless liner w/ adapter is $925.00  
Kao wool block off plate $48.75
Custom mantel shield $150.00
Black paint $13.99
Chimney cleaning $75.00
Installation $750.00
Grand total with tax $4616.95

Yesterday we went back and told them that we want to place the stove outside of the fireplace opening and will need a stoveboard and a 2' piece of black stovepipe. So the price will likely go up about $150.00
Link Posted: 9/5/2014 12:59:16 AM EDT
[#27]
Pic from my sisters install as promised. She got the rangeley. To hot to try it out but they are happy. Good luck with yours. Post pics.

Link Posted: 9/5/2014 7:42:05 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Pic from my sisters install as promised. She got the rangeley. To hot to try it out but they are happy. Good luck with yours. Post pics.

http://i229.photobucket.com/albums/ee212/chrisp929/498CCBF5-F40D-44C8-83E8-2015F6C12E9D_zpszgtlikho.jpg
View Quote

Thank you. That looks like a very nice install. Unfortunately for us we are having it installed in place of our existing insert and the hearth is too short and the lintel needs to be removed along with one course of bricks to meet clearances. Every mason contractor that I have called is too busy to do it until spring so we are going to have it placed just outside the fireplace on a stove board until next year. Hopefully we can get someone in here next year to rebuild the existing fireplace so that we can move the stove back into the fireplace a little more. It is only about 1" too short for this to happen without modification
Link Posted: 9/5/2014 11:18:50 AM EDT
[#29]
You made a wise purchase.
Jotul's are fantastic!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top