Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/25/2014 6:32:56 AM EDT
I would like to add a woodstove or wood-burning fireplace to my home to offset propane prices and have a heating option for power outages or whatever. My question revolves around liability. The room I'd install it in has a vaulted ceiling so the chimney installation *should* be pretty straight-forward. My fear is if my house burns down, the insurance company will try to get out of paying by saying the chimney wasn't installed professionally or whatever. Does anyone have any experience with this and/or guidance? Thanks.
Link Posted: 8/25/2014 6:36:26 AM EDT
[#1]
Get a permit and do it to code, no problem. Think about a pellet stove  too, My friend has one loves it and it vents out the wall
Link Posted: 8/25/2014 7:06:13 AM EDT
[#2]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Get a permit and do it to code, no problem. Think about a pellet stove  too, My friend has one loves it and it vents out the wall
View Quote
This... Except pellet stoves generally need power and pellets are not Free.

Link Posted: 8/25/2014 7:08:37 AM EDT
[#3]
My insurance agent (State Farm) inspected the wood stove after installation.
Link Posted: 8/25/2014 8:03:17 AM EDT
[#4]
I installed my wood stove and 22' of 8" Selkirk double wall stove pipe and chimney.

I had the state inspector concerned with such things inspect and sign off on it which is mandatory, that was good enough for my insurance company.

It helps if you have the literature from the stove manufacturer which gives all the clearance distances, but don't rely on the listed hearth dimensions those may not grandfathered, ID has their own which extended farther than the manufacturer's.
Link Posted: 8/25/2014 8:35:18 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 8/25/2014 9:06:44 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I would like to add a woodstove or wood-burning fireplace to my home to offset propane prices and have a heating option for power outages or whatever. My question revolves around liability. The room I'd install it in has a vaulted ceiling so the chimney installation *should* be pretty straight-forward. My fear is if my house burns down, the insurance company will try to get out of paying by saying the chimney wasn't installed professionally or whatever. Does anyone have any experience with this and/or guidance? Thanks.
View Quote

FPNI.

Get the permit.  Get it inspected.  Keep the sticker, make a digital back up copy.  Maybe even email the digital copy to your insurance company or agent.

Make sure you understand how much having a solid fuel appliance will raise your premium before you do anything.

I replaced the chimney in my previous house, followed code and clearance to combustibles requirements, got it inspected, no big deal.
Link Posted: 8/25/2014 9:44:39 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
All good points above.

Since nobody has said it explicitly yet, I will: gotta check with whoever writes your homeowner's policy. Some companies are freaky about wood stoves, others couldn't care less.
View Quote

This ^^^ Your first place to check should be your insurance agent. I've heard many stories of rates exploding or being completely dropped when getting a wood-stove. OTOH, my company said, "doesn't make a difference, no changes in premiums or policy if it is installed to code". They didn't even inspect it to ensure it was installed to code.

And yes, get a wood burner if you can. I paid a bit less than $5k for my entire setup and haven't regretted it one bit. Break-even was mid-way through my 2nd burning season; I'm going into my 5th burning season now and I can't even tell you how much money it has saved me. I love cutting wood (it's therapeutic & keeps me in shape) and the money we've saved has greatly helped towards our financial freedom.
Link Posted: 8/25/2014 10:49:49 AM EDT
[#8]
When I moved one of the questions about the new place was if it had a wood or coal stove.

It did, I took it out and moved it to the porch since it is not very well set up to use in a clean fashion.

Give me an emergency where I go through all my emergency propane and yeah I would hook it up for the emergency.

And I would give the insurance folks a call.

I rent, so keep in mind that I insure my stuff but the owner of the place tends to insure the home.

Link Posted: 8/25/2014 5:48:54 PM EDT
[#9]
Key is to ask your insurance company so underwriting will adjust premium if needed or may say they do not want to insure you if installed.  
Insurance company bases rates on risk, and, a wood stove increases risk.
If you do not ask and have a fire caused by stove/chimney, you may not collect due to increased hazard.
If you fail to disclose wood stove on application for insurance on a new policy, and have a fire, they may also be able to deny for material misrepresentation on application.
Key is to ask and document you asked.
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 1:15:46 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
My insurance agent (State Farm) inspected the wood stove after installation.
View Quote

This.
I called my long time agent while everything was still open and easy to see.
SHowed him I exceeded min clearances, etc, and he OK'd it, IN WRITING.
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 10:59:48 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I would like to add a woodstove or wood-burning fireplace to my home to offset propane prices
View Quote

(1.) What kind of stove/furnace are you currently using to burn propane, and
(2.) How much is your current monthly propane bill?
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 6:24:35 AM EDT
[#12]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top