Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/17/2014 4:24:49 AM EDT
Do many grocery store "butcher" shops cut their own steaks and if so do they do anything to them before putting them in the display?
Link Posted: 8/17/2014 4:39:23 AM EDT
[#1]
I worked in the Harps meat department for a summer. They have a butcher who cuts the meats. Generally we do nothing extra to the meat. We also ground the hamburger meat. Sometimes we would do some trays of seasoned chicken.
Link Posted: 8/17/2014 7:19:14 AM EDT
[#2]
Don't the larger chains "gas" the steaks with Co2 to make them redder?
Link Posted: 8/17/2014 7:26:43 AM EDT
[#3]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote

That is mainly walmart. Its pretty easy to tell just from packaging if that is the case.

If the store has a butcher/meat cutters, then they likely order primals and cut all the steaks/roasts/etc daily. Trimmings usually get turned into 80/20. Bulk cases of rough ground burger are often ground into retail packages.

ETA:

They also use salt solutions to preserve "freshness".

Link Posted: 8/17/2014 7:32:15 AM EDT
[#4]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote
CO.  A lot of stores used to do this and it is FDA approved.  It seemed to make the meat stink, making you think it was bad right out of the package.  I think that is why most stores stopped doing it.

After reading the wiki, the meat may have actually been bad but the CO made it appear fresh.  

I haven't bought any meat at Walmart that has CO treatment.  Urban legends are what they are.
Link Posted: 8/17/2014 4:15:55 PM EDT
[#5]
I visit a lot of Krogers and Tom Thumbs (Safeways)in DFW and while many of the steaks are hand cut,,big SALE items tend to come in prepackaged and probably gassed.

the hand cut stuff is cut, trayed and wrapped with no other handling...in both these stores..

CHEF
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 8:22:35 PM EDT
[#6]
I worked at a family owned small town grocery store for 20 years.  We ordered primals and cut them up ourselves.  No gassing or salt solutions.  Beef trimmings went to ground beef and pork trimmings into sausage.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top