Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/14/2014 11:56:55 AM EDT
Link Posted: 8/14/2014 2:06:49 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:

I might have some hen of the woods growing on some stumps up here at the cabin.

Took some pics,will post them next week when I'm back home.
View Quote

I googled them, look kinda interesting.  Says they mainly grow at the bases of oak trees, and you do a have a few oaks up there so....  Seem to be a fall fungus, starting in August, and go as late as November.

Also called Maitake mushrooms, and they seem to be popular in Japan.

http://americanmushrooms.com/edibles1.htm
Link Posted: 8/15/2014 8:05:53 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

View Quote

Fascinating thread.

Would read again.

TRG
Link Posted: 8/17/2014 8:27:38 AM EDT
[#3]
I need to get out and find some of these.

Majority of my mushrooming has been for morels during the spring turkey season although I was successful in finding a few trumpet chanterelles this year which I used in a soup.

I also posted a pic of them to a social media site just in case they turned out to be hallucinogenic and I should be found wondering the streets exhibiting strange and unusual behavior.
Link Posted: 8/17/2014 9:11:13 AM EDT
[#4]
I checked out the suspecting mushrooms over at Waldo's cabin this weekend, and I can confirm, they are not Hen in the Woods.  They are some other type of fungus, but they are not of the polypore variety that Hen in the Woods are.
Link Posted: 8/17/2014 12:52:50 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 8/17/2014 1:38:07 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I hope your mom puts your styrofoam helmet on before she lets you out to play in the street.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Fascinating thread.

Would read again.

TRG

I hope your mom puts your styrofoam helmet on before she lets you out to play in the street.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top