User Panel

Page / 4
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 6/14/2015 10:17:25 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 6/16/2015 1:36:51 PM EDT
[#2]
I would love to own as many acres as possible

Don't want to derail but I think these questions could be beneficial to the thread

What do you folks look for when buying land?
Renewable water source is a given but I'm not sure what else to be looking for

Also how do you guys go about buying your land?
Through a realtor?
I've checked out landwatch.com but if there's anything else I can look at I'm all ears
Link Posted: 6/16/2015 4:09:13 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Don't want to derail but I think these questions could be beneficial to the thread

Through a realtor?
I've checked out landwatch.com but if there's anything else I can look at I'm all ears
View Quote

Very good questions. I would also like the answers. One thing I look for online is rights. Mineral rights, timber, etc. I don't want to buy a nice 100 acre with old hardwoods to have a timber company to come through one day and rip out every last tree.
Link Posted: 6/18/2015 2:28:05 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Very good questions. I would also like the answers. One thing I look for online is rights. Mineral rights, timber, etc. I don't want to buy a nice 100 acre with old hardwoods to have a timber company to come through one day and rip out every last tree.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Through a realtor?

That depends on how much work you are willing to do.  Don't look at it for what it is today but rather what you can make it.  A crappy looking place will be cheaper and with some work you can really increase the property value and save some money.   My place is a bunch of old mines with miles of tunnels and 100 years of garbage and metal everywhere.  It was overgrown and for the first year I had one deer and a few rabbits.  Now a couple years later I have hundreds of rabbits, quail, dove and a dozen deer living at my house. Below is what I look for:

1. Water  
Water is broken up into 2 possibilities:
Surface/springs: Volume and water quality are the two main things to look at.  Does water/spring run all year or just during the winter?

Well:  If the place has a well.  How old is it? How deep? What water volume is it going to provide? What is the water quality?  What is the access to power to pump water?  

2. Soil
Testing the soil can be an important step in figuring out what a piece of property has the potential to become.  There are many pieces of land that soil is only good enough to grow brush no matter how much water is available.

3. Security
How many people are in the area?  Do you share a gate?  What type of community is it? How close are your neighbors? What type of people are your neighbors? It sounds like a lot to worry about but the people who surround you affect how many of your animals get poached or if your place get broken into.  A word of advice set up a clear set of rules with your neighbors especially the problem ones.  They need to know what you expect of them.  Also, find out who has been using the property.  Does the neighbor graze cattle on your place for the last 20 years?  
4. Property Rights/liens
Look up all deeds yourself including the deeds of your neighbors.  Go down to the county and looking up all mineral/water right and easements. See what the history is of your property.  Also, make sure there are no liens.  No surprises.   Also check on property taxes.  Both yours and your neighbors.  You want neighbors who have enough money to pay their taxes.  

5. Land contracts:
Something that might not come up on the deed is land contracts whether with the government or private parties.  Government contracts like open space or the Williamson act can cause you major problems if you try to build a house.  Also, the people running these programs don’t have a clue.  Making it hard to get information and answers.  

6. Access
It sounds stupid but access is something that is something most people overlook and can be a major problem.  Make sure you have easements.  Don’t take it for granted that you neighbor is going to let you cross his property.  Also, how are the roads to the property?  Most people sell property in the spring and summer.  During the winter can you get to the property?  

I bought my place buy purchasing the note and a deed in lieu of foreclosure.   It is not the normal way but it is fast and usually will save you a lot of money if it goes right.  Basically I bought a foreclosure without a realtor.  

Through a realtor?
Probably, the best way if you are not familiar with buying properties but remember it is going to increase the price.  Another way is just ask around.  Many people have property that they inherited and have no idea about.  Many people are also lazy and don’t want to go through the hassle of putting there property up for sale.  There are deals out there.  You just have to look.  
Link Posted: 6/18/2015 2:43:18 PM EDT
[#5]
own 10 acres, want at least 10 more....

pics coming someday
Link Posted: 6/18/2015 2:44:51 PM EDT
[#6]
I'd love to have at least 100 acres. If I were to have a large family I'd try to get a whole section (640 acres), ought to be big enough to do whatever the heck I want.

Right now I'd settle even for one acre. I have a 600-square-foot apartment.
Link Posted: 6/23/2015 11:16:30 AM EDT
[#7]

brandy12 thanks for the reply and advice, some good info there

I found this article too

The Perfect Homestead
Link Posted: 6/23/2015 2:39:32 PM EDT
[#8]
Thanks.  I will start a thread on my place in the next couple of months.  I am developing the place from almost scratch.  Their is a lot of information learned during the process.
Page / 4
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top