Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 4
Link Posted: 11/30/2014 7:21:03 PM EDT
[#1]
I'd like to own as much as somebody could give me but now I'll settle on my 1/3 acre mini micro farm. Being laid off at 60 years doesn't bode well for future purchases...............
Link Posted: 12/2/2014 2:11:18 AM EDT
[#2]
I want a minimum of 40, but my goal is 640.  

If something miraculous were to happen to me, I'd end up with a few sections and turn it into hunter's paradise that I eventually willed to the ODNR as a public hunting grounds to be used for hunters' education, and youth hunting programs.
Link Posted: 12/6/2014 2:03:28 AM EDT
[#3]
Just bought 23 acres. A strange mix of high and low land, hardwoods and swamp. I'm excited. Can't wait to actually build on it.
Link Posted: 12/6/2014 8:45:17 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 12/12/2014 6:33:10 PM EDT
[#5]
Not trying to demoralize anyone, really I'm not!

Pic of my 110 yard range with the beginnings of my concrete shooting bench:

The corner of the building you see is my shop/former orgy bar/reloading room/Skeeter Pee Production Center and future MEC (Moonshine Experimentation Center).

Sucks to live on a 38 acre farm at the end of a one mile gravel road.......    
Link Posted: 12/12/2014 11:06:00 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

http://i126.photobucket.com/albums/p111/Albinator/Shooting%20bench%20pics/IMG_20141203_103646576Large_zpsfd5c8382.jpg

The corner of the building you see is my shop/former orgy bar/reloading room/Skeeter Pee Production Center and future MEC (Moonshine Experimentation Center).

View Quote

That is a sweet set up, I'm jealous.
Link Posted: 12/13/2014 10:23:37 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

http://i126.photobucket.com/albums/p111/Albinator/Shooting%20bench%20pics/IMG_20141203_103646576Large_zpsfd5c8382.jpg

View Quote

Moar!!!!
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 7:53:21 PM EDT
[#8]
Finished (except for pulling the pad forms):

I saw four doe walk down the road/track you see in the 2nd pic this evening just at dusk.  And there's a pretty good scrape right up on the other side of the woods on the edge of pole barn field, which is above the tractor in the 2nd pic.

More progress pics here:  My shooting bench project in pics

Link Posted: 12/21/2014 10:56:58 AM EDT
[#9]

Looking east towards a nearby lake. Private access only, unless you want to walk almost a mile through some woods that are on public land, and then cross a swamp. I am certain that I can put a canoe in the swamp at the edge of my property and make it out to the open water.

Lots of critters in the area.
Link Posted: 1/31/2015 1:47:31 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
http://i1370.photobucket.com/albums/ag279/Flying-Wrench/DSCN0006_zps841c99aa.jpg
Looking east towards a nearby lake. Private access only, unless you want to walk almost a mile through some woods that are on public land, and then cross a swamp. I am certain that I can put a canoe in the swamp at the edge of my property and make it out to the open water.
http://i1370.photobucket.com/albums/ag279/Flying-Wrench/DSCN0131_zpse6615ae9.jpg
View Quote

you need to try and get to that open water by canoe. that would be a fun adventure for the day
Link Posted: 1/31/2015 2:15:06 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Finished (except for pulling the pad forms):

http://i126.photobucket.com/albums/p111/Albinator/Shooting%20bench%20pics/IMG_20141218_121803962Large_zps9f0df3c7.jpg

http://i126.photobucket.com/albums/p111/Albinator/Shooting%20bench%20pics/IMG_20141218_121813093Large_zps3470a705.jpg

I saw four doe walk down the road/track you see in the 2nd pic this evening just at dusk.  And there's a pretty good scrape right up on the other side of the woods on the edge of pole barn field, which is above the tractor in the 2nd pic.

More progress pics here:  My shooting bench project in pics

View Quote

Can I come over
Link Posted: 1/31/2015 2:42:02 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
77 acres here, almost at the end of the road. Would like to get the last few small lots that were cut off mine before I bought and that would put me right over 100 and I will build on it in about 8 years. Thinking about putting a garage/apt for right now.
View Quote

I've got 12 more acres in the works at the lawyers, should be mine in a month. Brings me up to 89

Here is a picture I took coming out of the woods on opening day of bow season.

Link Posted: 1/31/2015 10:07:57 PM EDT
[#13]
I once owned 2,303 ac of farmland and it was too much to take care of on my own  
Link Posted: 2/2/2015 1:11:46 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
you need to try and get to that open water by canoe. that would be a fun adventure for the day
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

http://i1370.photobucket.com/albums/ag279/Flying-Wrench/DSCN0006_zps841c99aa.jpg

http://i1370.photobucket.com/albums/ag279/Flying-Wrench/DSCN0131_zpse6615ae9.jpg

I'm going to try that this summer. I walked out to the lake when it froze over. That day I also learned the hard way that swamps can have thin spots in the ice, and that walking almost 1/4 mile in soaked pants is not fun.

Link Posted: 2/2/2015 4:12:49 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I'm going to try that this summer. I walked out to the lake when it froze over. That day I also learned the hard way that swamps can have thin spots in the ice, and that walking almost 1/4 mile in soaked pants is not fun.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

keep this thread in mind when you do. take pics and report back when you do it.
Link Posted: 2/2/2015 11:38:36 PM EDT
[#16]
1.25 and want 160 or more.
Blue at the first "plant" at the "antenna farm".

Link Posted: 2/3/2015 1:22:06 AM EDT
[#17]
I bought and own outright 750 acres last year. I still want at least another 240 to get rid of my neighbors. Maybe in the next 10 years. I am only 28. I have plenty of time.
Link Posted: 2/3/2015 1:12:33 PM EDT
[#18]
I've got 10 ac., and while I wouldn't mind owning more, I'm happy to have what I do.  Great neighbors on all adjoining properties... the kind of folks who drive by on a tractor, see you out working some firewood, and hop off and pick up the maul without ever asking if you need some help.  All of them also unlikely to sell, which is a big plus since I'm not personally looking to buy.

I've got enough cleared to shoot 100 yards whenever I want, put in more garden than we can probably care for, and let the dogs run.  Enough wooded that I can cut a bit of firewood every year, and the kids had great spots for forts and treehouses and whatnot.  A small, mostly seasonal creek that's really only good for ambiance.

When I go outside, I hear birds and frogs instead of traffic, trains, and sirens. I can build whatever I want, wherever I want, without asking anybody's permission. I can mow my lawn when I want to, not when somebody tells me I have to.

Moving out here almost 20 years ago was the second best decision I ever made, topped only by working up the courage to propose to my wife.  Wouldn't be near as much fun without the right person to share it with.
Link Posted: 2/4/2015 11:45:51 PM EDT
[#19]
I have 10 acres at my cabin and would like to buy the lots besideand behind me. They are vacant but not for sale at this time.
Link Posted: 2/5/2015 2:06:05 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I've got 10 ac., and while I wouldn't mind owning more, I'm happy to have what I do.  Great neighbors on all adjoining properties... the kind of folks who drive by on a tractor, see you out working some firewood, and hop off and pick up the maul without ever asking if you need some help.  All of them also unlikely to sell, which is a big plus since I'm not personally looking to buy.

I've got enough cleared to shoot 100 yards whenever I want, put in more garden than we can probably care for, and let the dogs run.  Enough wooded that I can cut a bit of firewood every year, and the kids had great spots for forts and treehouses and whatnot. A small, mostly seasonal creek that's really only good for ambiance.

When I go outside, I hear birds and frogs instead of traffic, trains, and sirens. I can build whatever I want, wherever I want, without asking anybody's permission. I can mow my lawn when I want to, not when somebody tells me I have to.

Moving out here almost 20 years ago was the second best decision I ever made, topped only by working up the courage to propose to my wife.  Wouldn't be near as much fun without the right person to share it with.
View Quote

Who says you can't build a large cistern and fill it up from the creek when it does flow?  
Link Posted: 2/24/2015 12:30:13 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I bought and own outright 750 acres last year. I still want at least another 240 to get rid of my neighbors. Maybe in the next 10 years. I am only 28. I have plenty of time.
View Quote

in CA or another state?  how are land prices in rural CA?
Link Posted: 2/25/2015 2:43:20 PM EDT
[#22]
I have 350 now and I am hoping to pick up another 450.
I think I then could raise enough cattle to pay for the place.
Link Posted: 2/25/2015 5:05:39 PM EDT
[#23]
Question

How much is acreage going for around your areas...

I am in the Houston area and I am looking at 15k PLUS for land/acre ( no utilities )

I looked north of San Antonio and even the hill country ( scrub/rock land ) is going for just under 10K for land/acre  and I don't consider that to be productive land all.

Trying to get a feel for pricing so what is an acre going for around the country
Link Posted: 2/25/2015 6:15:28 PM EDT
[#24]
$300 and up size matters I have seen $200 on 20,000 acres a few years ago.
The last sale near me went $950 an acre for 280 acres but house with view included.
Link Posted: 2/26/2015 3:15:27 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 2/26/2015 10:29:09 PM EDT
[#26]
Just glazed over some of the responses and pics but the wife and I are lucky enough to have 42.5 acres of our own...  All wooded except the yard around my house:

Backyard range.  Might be a backwoods range, only offering 50 yards, but its mine!

I was fortunate enough to have family, in a position to help, and if it weren't for them, along with mine and my wife's hard work, we wouldn't be where we are today.

Next project is chickens this spring!  
Link Posted: 2/26/2015 11:55:52 PM EDT
[#27]
I see your also from Texas.      What part  ? and what is land going for around you ?

Quoted:

"Around the country" is going to vary so much the results would be pretty meaningless.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Question

How much is acreage going for around your areas...

I am in the Houston area and I am looking at 15k PLUS for land/acre ( no utilities )

I looked north of San Antonio and even the hill country ( scrub/rock land ) is going for just under 10K for land/acre  and I don't consider that to be productive land all.

Trying to get a feel for pricing so what is an acre going for around the country

"Around the country" is going to vary so much the results would be pretty meaningless.

Link Posted: 2/27/2015 5:54:37 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 6:05:12 PM EDT
[#29]
William Randolph Hearst had the right idea.

(Own everything you can see)
Link Posted: 4/20/2015 9:01:03 PM EDT
[#30]
more pics!
Link Posted: 4/20/2015 9:07:51 PM EDT
[#31]
Own 10 in hill country north of Austin...prepping site for house construction later in year. Yahooo
Link Posted: 5/31/2015 2:43:47 PM EDT
[#32]
bump to keep alive
Link Posted: 5/31/2015 10:30:13 PM EDT
[#33]
As hard as I tried to get my old neighbor to sell me his 105 acre piece he would not budge because his daughter pulls his strings but does not pay his bills.
So I was able to purchase this ~70 acres piece that was cut from a larger tract. Thankfully it is not far from my house.
Now I just need to score a used tractor so I can reclaim some of the old pasture land and plant some food plots.
I was able to see a satellite pic from 1963, it is amazing how the fields have grown in since the dairy farm ceased operations back in 63.    
Link Posted: 6/1/2015 6:36:47 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
As hard as I tried to get my old neighbor to sell me his 105 acre piece he would not budge because his daughter pulls his strings but does not pay his bills.
So I was able to purchase this ~70 acres piece that was cut from a larger tract. Thankfully it is not far from my house.
Now I just need to score a used tractor so I can reclaim some of the old pasture land and plant some food plots.
I was able to see a satellite pic from 1963, it is amazing how the fields have grown in since the dairy farm ceased operations back in 63.    
http://i62.tinypic.com/11uyiyb.png
View Quote

That looks like excellent hunting land, butting up to the river is a huge plus.
Link Posted: 6/2/2015 2:12:14 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I think you are mistaking a road for a river. There is a small brook that originates on the property opposite that feeds that large beaver pond that can be seen. The brook does come across onto me for short distance. As far as deer sign goes the Sat photo's clearly show deer trails, but once I started to walk the property there was not as much sign as I had thought there would be. It appears to be land that deer pass through while heading back and forth to the land in the other valleys. My thought when buying it was to make it the go to spot in this valley for deer with food plots.
Link Posted: 6/2/2015 8:09:04 PM EDT
[#36]
I own 1/2 acre where my house resides just south of town.  Bought 5 acres several miles north and currently clearing to build.  I never knew what hard work it is clearing land.  Kudos to the old farmers that didnt have chain saws!
Link Posted: 6/2/2015 8:35:34 PM EDT
[#37]
About to pick up 10.5 acres with 800 ft navigable creek frontage that is about 1/2 mile from a two mile wide river.  4 acres are eventually wetlands with 4.5 being flat building sites split into 3 separate parcels, the rest is sloping to the wetlands. All covered in hardwood trees. One acre lot cleared where we plan on buil a small home to start of with. Only 15 min from work and town. The tension is to live cheaply have chicken goats and a place for the dogs, with a green house and large garden. Any suggestions would be helpful as I start to install the utilities and initial layout of the homestead.
Link Posted: 6/2/2015 8:42:13 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted: Any suggestions would be helpful as I start to install the utilities and initial layout of the homestead.
View Quote

Not sure if you have a well or public water, but when you run it, run it everywhere you think you may ever need it.  I cannot tell you how nice it is to have frost proof spigots strategically scattered throughout my 10 acre property.  I would also run power wherever you may consider building a barn or outbuilding/chicken coop.
Link Posted: 6/2/2015 8:47:53 PM EDT
[#39]
What I wouldn't give to have about 30-40 acres. That's all I'd need I think.

Some day.
Link Posted: 6/3/2015 9:15:53 PM EDT
[#40]
Greatest idea HKH,  m I plan on running  all the utilities for the first homesite and then saving up the money to run the power water and Internet to the other sites sometime next year. It's about a 1000ft across the 10 acres only 4 of it is actually flat land.
Link Posted: 6/4/2015 12:35:40 AM EDT
[#41]
I'm right there with ya. id like to own property for the same reasons you do. used to own 60 had to sell it. would like to own 100 at least
Link Posted: 6/4/2015 1:30:35 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

I think you are mistaking a road for a river. There is a small brook that originates on the property opposite that feeds that large beaver pond that can be seen. The brook does come across onto me for short distance. As far as deer sign goes the Sat photo's clearly show deer trails, but once I started to walk the property there was not as much sign as I had thought there would be. It appears to be land that deer pass through while heading back and forth to the land in the other valleys. My thought when buying it was to make it the go to spot in this valley for deer with food plots.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yup, I saw it originally on a mobile screen and I mistook that oblong scribbly white area on the road as a wide spot in a river.  Still looks like a nice spot, plant something yummy and you'll bring them in.
Link Posted: 6/5/2015 9:34:01 PM EDT
[#43]

40 acres in the middle of NOWHERE..

The view is terrible

Link Posted: 6/6/2015 3:02:07 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
<a href="http://s18.photobucket.com/user/IV_Troop/media/004-9.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b109/IV_Troop/004-9.jpg</a>

The view is terrible

<a href="http://s18.photobucket.com/user/IV_Troop/media/MackayJun16-20001.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b109/IV_Troop/MackayJun16-20001.jpg</a>

View Quote

Wow, what a view.  The closest we get to mountains is when the fire ants build a mound in the yard.
Link Posted: 6/6/2015 5:00:05 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
About to pick up 10.5 acres with 800 ft navigable creek frontage that is about 1/2 mile from a two mile wide river.  4 acres are eventually wetlands with 4.5 being flat building sites split into 3 separate parcels, the rest is sloping to the wetlands. All covered in hardwood trees. One acre lot cleared where we plan on buil a small home to start of with. Only 15 min from work and town. The tension is to live cheaply have chicken goats and a place for the dogs, with a green house and large garden. Any suggestions would be helpful as I start to install the utilities and initial layout of the homestead.
View Quote

Link Posted: 6/6/2015 6:50:35 AM EDT
[#46]

I used own 110.  That was way too much.  Sooooooo much work.
Link Posted: 6/6/2015 11:15:07 PM EDT
[#47]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://ljkrakauer.com/LJK/essays/chickengoat2.jpg

Midmost those are the new hot ticket down east. Maintenance free, high profits, the wife even feeds and waters them. All the new illegal immigrants from down south pay top dollar for them. Funny thing is the front legs are goatvmeet and the backs are the largest chicken legs you've ever handled.

But yes chicken for eggs and composting. And the goats for land clearing purpose and some illegal immigrant meat sales
Link Posted: 6/12/2015 4:30:31 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

In CA about 15 miles east of the SF bay area.  I paid $365k for 752 acre with a house.  It has a bunch of landlocked BLM and private property without easements.  In total I have access to 2-3k acres.  It has multiple developed large year around springs.  So water is not a problem.   What I paid is not the norm.  I am appraised at 1.7-2.4 million.  It is nice to clear a couple million on a property deal.    
Link Posted: 6/12/2015 5:11:18 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

In CA about 15 miles east of the SF bay area.  I paid $365k for 752 acre with a house.  It has a bunch of landlocked BLM and private property without easements.  In total I have access to 2-3k acres.  It has multiple developed large year around springs.  So water is not a problem.   What I paid is not the norm.  I am appraised at 1.7-2.4 million.  It is nice to clear a couple million on a property deal.    
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Dang, nice score! Sounds like a nice place.
Link Posted: 6/12/2015 9:22:46 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
<a href="http://s18.photobucket.com/user/IV_Troop/media/004-9.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b109/IV_Troop/004-9.jpg</a>

The view is terrible

<a href="http://s18.photobucket.com/user/IV_Troop/media/MackayJun16-20001.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b109/IV_Troop/MackayJun16-20001.jpg</a>

View Quote

Looks like Utah when I was there a few years ago.
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top