Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/9/2014 3:19:00 PM EDT
I have a ancient Brinkman r2d2 style, not even sure how old it is as it was given to me by a neighbor 6 years ago.

Smoking some Baby Back Ribs (two hours to go!)

Anyways, looking to see what the hive uses, I have been wanting to buy/build a new smoker for awhile now.

Thanks!
Link Posted: 8/9/2014 3:32:05 PM EDT
[#1]
All custom fab by Pop.

Link Posted: 8/9/2014 3:33:43 PM EDT
[#2]
Bad ass.
Link Posted: 8/9/2014 4:18:20 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
All custom fab by Pop.

<a href="http://s946.photobucket.com/user/bobweaver/media/Mobile%20Uploads/A2E5A1E3-6017-44A3-B1D3-12B64F440AFA_zpspnhstihu.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i946.photobucket.com/albums/ad308/bobweaver/Mobile%20Uploads/A2E5A1E3-6017-44A3-B1D3-12B64F440AFA_zpspnhstihu.jpg</a>
View Quote

sweet,

Exhaust tubing from a tractor trailer?
Link Posted: 8/9/2014 5:29:29 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

sweet,

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
All custom fab by Pop.

<a href="http://s946.photobucket.com/user/bobweaver/media/Mobile%20Uploads/A2E5A1E3-6017-44A3-B1D3-12B64F440AFA_zpspnhstihu.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i946.photobucket.com/albums/ad308/bobweaver/Mobile%20Uploads/A2E5A1E3-6017-44A3-B1D3-12B64F440AFA_zpspnhstihu.jpg</a>

sweet,

No, he works in a metal fab shop and it was build using solid sheets or tube stock.
Link Posted: 8/9/2014 8:29:08 PM EDT
[#5]

I have a Yoder smoker.

The best part about bbq is having a cigar and drink while the smoker does all the hard work.  

Here they are as I was pulling them off.

Link Posted: 8/11/2014 3:52:01 PM EDT
[#6]

It is a work in progress. I need to add a firebox, another rack and some hangers across the top inside to hang sausage I'm going to dump the gas cooker and use the burner in the fire box to assist in lighting and to keep the temps going for extended smoke sessions. Trailers nice.

Last smoke I did 5 butts, 6 chickens, and 4 racks of ribs. I have some pics once I find them I'll throw up.
Link Posted: 8/11/2014 3:56:20 PM EDT
[#7]
PORKY Goodness after overnight smoke:

Link Posted: 8/11/2014 4:05:48 PM EDT
[#8]

Link Posted: 8/11/2014 4:09:36 PM EDT
[#9]
Humphrey's Downeast Beast.  The little guy next to it is a smokin tex.  Also have a kettle with smokenator for small/short smokes.  

Link Posted: 8/11/2014 4:35:00 PM EDT
[#10]
Built this a few years ago

and last year picked up  the XL BGE

Link Posted: 8/11/2014 6:32:45 PM EDT
[#11]
DAMN, yall dont screw around when it it comes to smoking......I am embarrassed that I posted pics of my hunk of junk smoker
Link Posted: 8/11/2014 7:29:00 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

DAMN, yall dont screw around when it it comes to smoking......I am embarrassed that I posted pics of my hunk of junk smoker
View Quote
It doesn't matter what it looks like as long as it gets the job done.  

Link Posted: 8/11/2014 7:38:16 PM EDT
[#13]
I know my poor 22.5 WSM looks like I should be on food stamps looking at those :drool:
Link Posted: 8/11/2014 7:42:10 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Agreed. That old smoker of yours performs it's job beautifully I bet.  No reason to fix what ain't broke.
Link Posted: 8/11/2014 7:50:59 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

View Quote
You should see the pieces of crap I used to cook on Any smoker will do good if you learn to use it properly.

Link Posted: 8/11/2014 8:49:21 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yep. My kettle makes BBQ just as good as the humphrey's...humphrey's just makes it a lot easier, and a lot more of it.
Link Posted: 8/11/2014 9:15:09 PM EDT
[#17]

Link Posted: 8/11/2014 9:16:30 PM EDT
[#18]

Link Posted: 8/11/2014 10:26:48 PM EDT
[#19]
My modified pit.

You can see the convection plates under the grates.

Maze burner.

Link Posted: 8/12/2014 12:43:31 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View Quote

I started off on a Brinkmann smoker like yours. In fact I was putting out some awesome Q with it. I would set it on my propane cooker to help keep the heat steady then add chuncks of wood to keep the smoke. I'd smoke a turkey and 2 chickens each Thanksgiving with it. I got my big smoker from a guy who was getting divorced, his wife bought it for him and he didn't want it. Got it for below scrap value.
Link Posted: 8/13/2014 11:53:00 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Agreed. That old smoker of yours performs it's job beautifully I bet.  No reason to fix what ain't broke.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Perhaps I am jealous of the other rigs, my rusted smoker puts out some awesome Brisket and Baby Back Ribs.......I have taken 3rd & 4th runner up (4th & 5th place) for Ribs, in the County BBQ fundraisers (small competitions) with this smoker.

But now I have a itch to scratch and some money burning a hole in my pocket for a new smoking rig!
Link Posted: 8/14/2014 10:57:24 PM EDT
[#23]
Not the best photo, but here ya go.

Link Posted: 8/15/2014 6:16:12 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I have a ancient Brinkman r2d2 style, not even sure how old it is as it was given to me by a neighbor 6 years ago.

Anyways, looking to see what the hive uses, I have been wanting to buy/build a new smoker for awhile now.

Thanks!
View Quote

I have the same and have a terrible time keeping the temp consistent. Help!?!?
Link Posted: 8/15/2014 6:36:18 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks!

You need a good thermometer (wireless is nice), one for the meat and one for the air, I will adjust the door depending on temp (opened/closed). I never add fresh coals, they are already nicely glowing red.

I replaced the water bowl with a bigger one and added two 25lb plate weights. One 25lb weight below the coals, and one above the water bowl. The thermal heat mass of the water and 50lbs of steel greatly improves your ability to regulate temp.
Link Posted: 8/15/2014 6:42:13 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

You need a good thermometer (wireless is nice), one for the meat and one for the air, I will adjust the door depending on temp (opened/closed). I never add fresh coals, they are already nicely glowing red.

I replaced the water bowl with a bigger one and added two 25lb plate weights. One 25lb weight below the coals, and one above the water bowl. The thermal heat mass of the water and 50lbs of steel greatly improves your ability to regulate temp.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks!

Thanks! Any chance you have a pic of the plate setup? Can't really picture how the one under the water bowl would be.
Link Posted: 8/15/2014 7:20:50 PM EDT
[#27]
Yea, no problem, I will get a picture up tomorrow.....its been pouring here all day.
Link Posted: 8/15/2014 7:25:43 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Yea, no problem, I will get a picture up tomorrow.....its been pouring here all day.
View Quote

Really appreciate it, haven't taken the smoker out of the shed this summer because it frustrated me so much last time I used it.
Link Posted: 8/15/2014 7:59:09 PM EDT
[#29]
I have no problem maintaining consistent temperature.  (I did when I had a stick smoker)

Link Posted: 8/15/2014 8:28:15 PM EDT
[#30]
I drilled holes in the coal tray and dropped in the wire grate from my little weber charcoal grill. It brought my temps up and kept them stable.
Coyboy Charcoal works best but after my mods Briquettes are a option in scarcity of my Lump coal.
Link Posted: 8/15/2014 10:18:24 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
I have no problem maintaining consistent temperature.  (I did when I had a stick smoker)

http://i61.tinypic.com/2rhpnqv.jpg
View Quote

Traeger?

And I think I have the same white thermometer. Good unit.
Link Posted: 8/17/2014 1:55:35 PM EDT
[#32]

Link Posted: 8/17/2014 9:12:30 PM EDT
[#33]

I like that setup, just gotta move that smoke outside the roof.  

Link Posted: 8/19/2014 10:44:55 AM EDT
[#34]
The Bass Pro by me had small electric (I know) on sale from $189 down to $99.97.  I also had a gift card so I picked one up.  its this one.
Link Posted: 8/20/2014 10:14:32 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
Traeger?

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Traeger?

It is a Pellet Pro with a Smoke Daddy cold smoke generator.  It has a lot of the features Traeger charges extra for.  There at least 5 brands made in the same Chinese factory that share parts.  Features, layout, door, etc. have minor cosmetic changes between brands.  A friend had two Traegers, so I have used them both.  If you have a 'connection' at Costco, you may be able to get either damaged returns, retard returns, or shipping damaged Traegers for a really decent deal.  It would be best not to publicize this like I am here.

If I get another one, I would either buy a second one identical, or if my money tree bloomed early, I would buy a Yoder.
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 9:32:22 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
It is a Pellet Pro with a Smoke Daddy cold smoke generator.  It has a lot of the features Traeger charges extra for.  There at least 5 brands made in the same Chinese factory that share parts.  Features, layout, door, etc. have minor cosmetic changes between brands.  A friend had two Traegers, so I have used them both.  If you have a 'connection' at Costco, you may be able to get either damaged returns, retard returns, or shipping damaged Traegers for a really decent deal.  It would be best not to publicize this like I am here.  

If I get another one, I would either buy a second one identical, or if my money tree bloomed early, I would buy a Yoder.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Traeger?

Do you know of a source to just buy the hopper, feeder, and electronic control parts to graft onto an existing smoker?  I looked at a Traeger and could not believe how thin the metal was.  If you could graft a Traeger pellet feeder onto a propane tank with a well sealed door and reverse flow plate, that might be something.
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 3:13:54 PM EDT
[#37]

my UDS

couple of butts

Link Posted: 8/21/2014 3:19:57 PM EDT
[#38]
Those look good!
Link Posted: 9/3/2014 3:47:17 PM EDT
[#39]

Link Posted: 9/3/2014 3:56:50 PM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 10/14/2014 8:01:48 PM EDT
[#41]
Sho mo smoke!
Link Posted: 10/15/2014 8:39:25 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

That ain't Florida!!!!

View All Quotes

I've always heard that they had white sand beaches
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top