Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/30/2014 3:33:15 PM EDT
Hi All,

just vacuum sealed another 100 lbs. Of dried beans and rice.   I used the sorbent snorkel, mylar bags and o2 absorbers.  Seems to be holding a vacuum, although I'm not completely confident in the vac.  

Anyway, read an article today about botulinum toxic with low o2 storage..... now im paranoid.  I've only been sealing for a year and have never tested/ eaten any of it. Lol.

Any thoughts?

Thanks And Regard
Link Posted: 7/30/2014 4:25:32 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Hi All,

just vacuum sealed another 100 lbs. Of dried beans and rice.   I used the sorbent snorkel, mylar bags and o2 absorbers.  Seems to be holding a vacuum, although I'm not completely confident in the vac.  

Anyway, read an article today about botulinum toxic with low o2 storage..... now im paranoid.  I've only been sealing for a year and have never tested/ eaten any of it. Lol.

Any thoughts?

Thanks And Regard
View Quote

Dibs
Link Posted: 7/30/2014 5:10:51 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Hi All,

Any thoughts?

Thanks And Regard
View Quote

You know botulism only happens with damp/wet foods right? With dry rice and beans there is no botulism concern. Even if it were, the botulism toxin is destroyed at cooking temperatures (not the spore, the toxin the spores produce). Do you plan on eating those beans and rice dry or cooking them? Even more of a reason not to worry about botulism in the dried goods.
Link Posted: 7/30/2014 5:14:29 PM EDT
[#3]
Ok thanks.   The article didn't mention that.  
Regards
Link Posted: 7/31/2014 7:08:21 AM EDT
[#4]
Someone can point out how wrong my thinking is.

I compare pulling a vacumn on a canning jar to be similar to using an oxygen absorber in a mylar bag.

The oxygen absorber uses a chemical reaction to use up the oxygen, a vacumn sealer uses a pump to pull a vacumn and make a low oxygen environment.

I never worried about it and folks have been storing rice and beans for a long long while.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top