Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/29/2014 3:34:01 PM EDT
I'm looking to plant something along the east side of my house, but I'm not quite sure what to put there.  I have successfully grown garlic in this spot in the past.  I'm not sure if that helps "gauge" available sunlight or not.  The girlfriend really wants raspberries, blueberries, or blackberries.  Some research indicates that these plants will tolerate partial sun, but I'm not exactly sure how much the lack of full sun will hurt production ..?  Obviously we don't want to go through the trouble of planting these just to be disappointed.

Once I get a perennial(s) established in this spot, I'd like to see if I can get some ramps growing for ground cover.

Any recommendations or advice?
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 4:55:01 PM EDT
[#1]

I'd recommend Illini Blackberries which are thorny if you have windows above.  This may deter a burglar.  That's what I put on one side of the house.  It's an upright growing variety and was developed, wait for it, in Illinois.
Link Posted: 7/30/2014 3:57:59 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I'd recommend Illini Blackberries which are thorny if you have windows above.  This may deter a burglar.  That's what I put on one side of the house.  It's an upright growing variety and was developed, wait for it, in Illinois.
View Quote

How many do you have and do they produce well?
Link Posted: 7/31/2014 1:46:18 AM EDT
[#3]
We have (native) black raspberries growing on the North side of a big metal building:

They seem to do OK.  They really only get a bit of late afternoon sun, some almost no direct sun at all.
Link Posted: 7/31/2014 4:45:28 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
We have (native) black raspberries growing on the North side of a big metal building:

http://i1010.photobucket.com/albums/af227/mid_mo/mid_mo/berries_zps73ed728a.jpg

They seem to do OK.  They really only get a bit of late afternoon sun, some almost no direct sun at all.
View Quote

Around here they'll grow under the full shade of dense 100-year oaks. They may not get as tall, but they still bear pretty well.

Link Posted: 7/31/2014 6:15:31 AM EDT
[#5]
Thats great!  Thanks guys.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top