Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/21/2014 5:06:37 AM EDT
So I have poison ivy again for the 3rd time in 7 months.  It seems I have become hypersensitive to this stuff over the last 5 years.  I have been reading that there was a vaccine until a few decades ago, and they are working on another that will not be ready for a few more years.  Does anyone have any tricks to prevent getting it?  And before all you Captain Obvious types chime in, staying away from it is just not an option.
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 7:06:12 AM EDT
[#1]
Other than cover up - glovles, long sleeves, long pants, don't rub your face/neck after grabbing plants & leaves, I'm not sure what else you might be asking for.  On the treatment side, Zanfel has worked for me to help wash off the poison, but it doesn't cure it.  If you have a unique sensitivity to it, your doc can probably make some suggestions.  Roundup, cover-up, treat it if you still get into it, that's all I can think of.
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 7:41:37 AM EDT
[#2]
Are your tools, clothes, and gloves contaminated with the oils from Poison Ivy?

Get some cheap rubbing alcohol and bathe your arms/hands or any potentially contaminated tools/gloves in it.  Make it SOP when you are done work for the day.  Keep a couple of bottles in your truck/chainsaw bag.

If you are pretty sure you have been exposed then go to the more expensive options like Technu (including washing your gear).
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 9:10:36 AM EDT
[#3]
Get some Tecnu.
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 3:15:57 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks for the replies. I had not thought of the alcohol cleanup. I do have some poison ivy soap that served me well for 2 months of daily hog hunts, shredding, etc. I failed to use it after mowing the grass last night. I'll have to call this one a "shame on me" and do better next time.
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 7:39:41 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Get some Tecnu.
View Quote

+1000
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 7:25:15 AM EDT
[#6]
TecNu is our GoTo  If you catch the contamination early, it really does the trick.

You can also find a product called "Ivy Drops" or "Oral Ivy" on Amazon.  It is a homeopathic preparation, intended to desensitize the user over a period of 1-2 weeks & then taken at regular intervals to maintain that status.  Never used it myself, but some folks swear by it.

Nick
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 5:47:06 AM EDT
[#7]
IVY-X pre-contact solution and the cleanser.  GREATEST STUFF IN THE WORLD!!!!!  I use to avoid the spring woods just because of poison ivy.  I have spent thousands of dollars (doctors visits) on poison ivy treatment for my Spring Gobbler Fever.  

Since I started using this stuff this year, I have probably been in heavy woods 40+ days this year.  No poison ivy yet. I

It has allowed me to be an outdoorsman all year now.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top