Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/3/2014 7:53:36 PM EDT
I am looking to buy once cry once but want the best bang for the buck.

Everything I am reading says a chamber vac is really nice but they are expensive.  The foodsaver ones seem to be lacking in quality from what they used to be.

So far I have not found a bad review on VacMasters.  I was thinking VacMaster Vp112(the one I am leaning towards), Pro 260, or Pro305.

I am planning on using it for meats, veggies, and dry goods.   I am thinking we will use the shit out of it when we get one and want a high quality one.

Any thoughts?  What am I missing?  What is a baseline set up for bags?
Link Posted: 7/3/2014 8:38:46 PM EDT
[#1]
Foodsaver works fine, did have to replace vacuum seals once.  Biggest issue is the wast you have because the vacuum chamber and seal strip are so far from front edge. Since most stuff gets a 8" bag you waste 1" just to seal it.  But that is where they make their money.
Link Posted: 7/4/2014 4:59:30 AM EDT
[#2]
We use the VacMaster Pro 130 and it's been great.

We also bought the Food Saver Mason Jar attachments for regular and wide mouth jars.  They work fine with the VacMaster for sealing up jars of rice, sugar, dried fruit, etc.  The regular mouth jars are touchy with the sealer.  You really have to leave a lot of space at the top to get a good vacuum.  Wide mouth jars work better.

We don't use many of the pre-made bags, because they waste so much space.  We buy the rolls and make the bags to our own custom sizes.  Just run the sealer without the vacuum to make the end, cut to desired length, and then vacuum seal the other end.
Link Posted: 7/4/2014 5:15:56 AM EDT
[#3]
Ost
Link Posted: 7/4/2014 5:56:21 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 7/4/2014 6:04:50 AM EDT
[#5]
I'm using a FOODSAVER with great results.

I even use it to vacuum seal small parts, electronics and the like.

Even vacum sealed handguns with it.
Link Posted: 7/4/2014 6:07:47 AM EDT
[#6]
I have an older bottom of the line Foodsaver thats still chugging along, use it for everything.
Link Posted: 7/4/2014 7:01:25 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 7/4/2014 7:50:15 AM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
We just took the plunge on a Vacmaster VP215. I got tired of having cheaper units go belly up. The last one was a Cabela's "commercial" sealer that lost suction after only three years.

I don't have enough time on this unit to really review it, but so far I'm impressed. It's quiet, easy to use and pulls a heck of a vacuum. Bags are cheaper than food saver bags by quite a bit. It's heavy (85 pounds) so it needed a semi-permanent location; that's mostly a plus since I was able to set it up in a corner that wasn't really being used for anything useful.

We have 30 broilers to process in the next week so we'll see how it does on them.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v40/FredFeral/imagejpg1_zps1060bbe5.jpg
View Quote

That is commercial grade awesomeness.   We can't justify one like that.  What do yall think of the weston pro model? It seems to have good reviews.
Link Posted: 7/4/2014 9:14:41 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 7/4/2014 9:40:07 AM EDT
[#10]
MVS 31 X

We've had this one for a few years, no complaints.
Link Posted: 8/16/2014 2:31:20 PM EDT
[#11]
Hate to bump an old thread but need one today.  Anyone know what Costco or Sam's has?
Link Posted: 8/16/2014 3:09:03 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 8/16/2014 11:22:00 PM EDT
[#13]
Got a 79 $ food saver that was adequate for 64 fillets tonight.  Hope it holds up several years.  Thanks.
Link Posted: 8/17/2014 8:38:47 AM EDT
[#14]
My first one was a basic no frills Foodsaver compact model, I want to say it was a 400 series? I got 12 years worth of use out of it before it finally gave out and now I'm wishing I kept it as Cabela's sells replacement parts. I really need to quit throwing "broken" things away.

I replaced it with another Foodsaver, this one being the 3425 model.

Although I will admit envy for Feral's commercial sealer.
Link Posted: 8/18/2014 12:28:40 PM EDT
[#15]

Bought our first Foodsaver about a month ago.  I did a lot of internet research before deciding on what to get.  The fully automatic ones seemed to have a lot more unhappy customers than the manual/automatic ones.  Unfortunately Sams and Costco only sell the fully automatic ones, so I ended up buying directly from Foodsaver.  We got the model V2431, it is black.  Model V2430 is the same thing but in white.  $89.99 w/free shipping.  We have used the heck out of it as we had a large garden this year.

Link Posted: 8/18/2014 8:29:37 PM EDT
[#16]
I run a Weston Pro 2300.  It's a beast of a sealer and very simple to operate.  It is going to cost you but it is well worth it.  I purchased the Cabelas 15" commercial brand and on the first seal I heard a crack and one of the two plastic arms broke under pressure.  Returned it and went with the Weston that does not use cheap plastic hinges and the lid is heavy duty.

Also my automatic food saver from walmart lasted for 3 years and I do 10-15 hogs/deer per season for family and friends.
Link Posted: 8/19/2014 7:50:48 AM EDT
[#17]
We had a cheapo vac sealer that eventually blew up. We didn't use it much so it wasn't that big of a deal. I'd like to get one now to seal sausage, tasso, and smaller cuts of meat when I buy primal cuts.

When I was in school I worked in the storeroom as a workstudy and had a nice Cryovac system that would give a nitrogen flush. Bags were crazy strong too.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top