Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/29/2014 6:32:36 PM EDT
So I don't know if I started a thread earlier in the year or not, but I finally got my garden up and going. I've had quite a bit going on, and I hadn't been able to spend the time to get the garden up and going. It's super late in the season to just be starting, so my plan is to keep it simple. I've bought some started plants and put em in the ground.

Rented a tiller from Home Depot last weekend

Started putting up fencing today. I picked up some plastic fencing instead of using the chainlink pet fencing that Ive used the past couple years.

It was pretty hot out, so I took a little break halfway through to scout for some black raspberries

Fencing up. I still have to put rocks around the bottom of the fence to keep critters out and put a few rows of wire around the top of the poles to keep deer out.

Jalapeno, habanero, hot banana, and tobasco peppers on the left, husky cherry tomatoes on the right

Jalapenos in a pot

Couple of potted tomato plants (forget what kind)

Link Posted: 6/29/2014 10:00:54 PM EDT
[#1]
Glad to see that you got your garden going again
Link Posted: 6/29/2014 10:32:51 PM EDT
[#2]
A couple questions for people who may have some experience...

All these raspberries have grown on their own, is there a way to help them propagate more? Most of the plants are near my chicken coop, and I'm surprised that the chickens haven't eaten all of the berries. The ones further back in the woods seem to have no ripe berries on them, I assume the deer have been eating them. I figure cutting back the other plant growth around the plants may help, but I have very little experience with trying to grow berries.

Anyone have recipes for smaller quantities of berries? I'd like to make jam, but I'm not sure I have enough. Maybe I could use them to flavor a batch of beer?
Link Posted: 6/30/2014 10:36:09 AM EDT
[#3]
Jam can be made with up to 3 pounds of berries at a time, no more than that. It won't set right if you use more than 3 pounds. You can do less, but it's the same amount of work and effort for less jam.

Make mini pies?
Link Posted: 6/30/2014 11:32:01 AM EDT
[#4]
Blackberries will propagate on their own, and quite aggressively, most people that have them, including myself, are more interested in how to be rid of them.
Increased sunlight should help, be careful what you wish for.
Link Posted: 6/30/2014 1:37:21 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Glad to see that you got your garden going again
View Quote

This.
Link Posted: 7/2/2014 5:46:10 PM EDT
[#6]
I'm happy I got it going too. Since I got started late, I've been looking into some late season crops. I'm going to pick up some broccoli seeds and get them started indoors this week, and get some potatoes in the ground too. Okra grows like a weed, so I'll direct seed that, and once it's not so friggin' hot I'll throw some lettuce, carrot, and radish seeds right in the garden. I figure if I'm lucky I can get to the end of October before the first real frost hits.

ETA: The black raspberries have been a welcome addition to my bagels w/ cream cheese in the morning
Link Posted: 7/4/2014 12:10:17 PM EDT
[#7]
Went and picked up 2 jumbo jalapeno plants (front left of pic), and 3 reg jalapenos, 3 red bell peppers, and 3 yellow bell peppers (still in pots)

I'm going to wait until the heavy rain and wind passes to get the other plants in the ground. Okra & potatoes tomorrow hopefully.
Link Posted: 7/4/2014 1:43:23 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 7/5/2014 10:19:56 AM EDT
[#9]
So I should have checked a bit more before I picked up plants at walmarts garden center. The pots with 3 pepper plants in them are super rootbound, to the point where I didn't want to try and break them apart. I ended up just digging a large hole and backfilling it with garden soil, hopefully the plants will do ok, even that close to each other.

Potato patch

Spuds in the ground

Covered over and ready to go
Link Posted: 7/11/2014 6:02:45 PM EDT
[#10]
Update 7/11

Couple of red okra sprouts starting (gotta weed)

Some reg okra

Yellow pear tomatoes that started from seeds dropped last year

Seem to have some issues on some leaves.....ideas to get rid of this?

Bell peppers

Should get a bunch of bell peppers

Cherry tomatoes are starting to put on fruit

Habaneros

Hot banana peppers are growing crazy quick

Jumbo jalapenoes

Tomatoes in the pot are starting to ripen

Link Posted: 7/20/2014 12:10:29 PM EDT
[#11]
Update 7/20

Put down some newspaper to keep the weeds down.
Potatoes on the left, okra in the front, then tomatoes and peppers

Left Side-Front to back: 2 jumbo jalapeno plants, hot banana peppers, habanero, tabasco, jalapeno stright back, 2 husky cherry tomatoes on the right

Hot banana peppers
Link Posted: 8/14/2014 9:42:02 PM EDT
[#12]
Update 8/14

Got some Cornish hen chicks. raising them for eggs.
Sorry for the shitty pic.

Link Posted: 8/15/2014 8:20:26 AM EDT
[#13]
Looking good
Did you use any of the seeds that I sent to you?
Link Posted: 8/19/2014 1:22:36 PM EDT
[#14]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Looking good
Did you use any of the seeds that I sent to you?
View Quote

I haven't this year, I planted a variety of them last year. I've got the lettuce and carrot seeds ready to go in the ground for a fall planting. I figure I'll put some of the purple podded beans in as well, and see how they do (plus green & wax beans). I've been having some family/friendship issues, in addition to starting a new job, so I don't have nearly as much time to devote to the garden. I hope to get some more pictures up soon.
Link Posted: 8/19/2014 1:26:14 PM EDT
[#15]
However, I did harvest my first habanero. Some words of advice, THEY ARE HOT. I take a bite of every hot pepper I've grown, just to get a sense of the heat. These are the hottest I've eaten. Hands down.
Link Posted: 9/3/2014 6:31:46 PM EDT
[#16]
Update: 9/3

Sorry no real updates, I've been super busy, heres a pic I snapped of today's harvest

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top