Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/28/2014 2:57:57 PM EDT
I just planted fruit trees this year and they have been growing well.  Today I noticed that there are beetles destroying my two cherry trees eating all the new leaves.  What do you guys recommend for pest spray?
Link Posted: 6/28/2014 3:34:07 PM EDT
[#1]
malathion is what I use, period, tried others..this stuff kills everything, my berries and grapes are having the best summer ever
due to grasshopper infestation.

.too dry.they breed like,,,

grasshoppers..
Link Posted: 6/28/2014 9:45:57 PM EDT
[#2]
Bonide Fruit tree spray covers just about everything.

Captan for a fungal protectant, Malthion insecticide, Carbaryl(Sevin) insecticide.
It's a shotgun approach for folks who aren't yet real savvy on pest ID, but it works.

Malthion has real good knockdown but is short lived in effect. It's pretty much a broad spectrum nuke that loses effectiveness quickly. Great for non feeding pests like maggot flys and hatching larvae.
Carbaryl(active ingredient in Sevin) maintains a protective level of activity for 6-10 days against feeding pests like beetles.

If you don't want to go with a shotgun approach, plain old Sevin is hard to beat for feeding pests like beetles. Generic Carbaryl liquid or Sevin XLR can be had from the local Ag supply/Fertilizer dealer for a LOT less than the RTU stuff sold in the garden centers and box stores, but you will have to shell out for an amount that will last most homeowners many years.

Try to get an ID on the Beetles, and figure out if you can get inside thier breeding cycle to minimize the hatch next year.
If they are hatching locally, you might be in for grub problems later on.
They wouldn't be Mettallic Green/blue would they? The Jap Beetles should be hatching about now, but running late along with the GDD count.

Bonide fruit tree spray

Link Posted: 6/29/2014 5:26:12 PM EDT
[#3]
Yes they are a greenish blue iridescent
Link Posted: 6/29/2014 8:38:45 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Yes they are a greenish blue iridescent
View Quote

Jap Beetles.

SevinXLR will get them, as will Malthion but it's only good for 3-4 days. Sevin is more cost effective.
Add a good sticker and it will reduce the need to spray as often.

The better option is a systemic such as Provado or it's generic Pasada if it isn't restricted in your state. Pasada runs 90-110 bucks a gallon, and label rates are 4-6oz per A so it's fairly cheap, and keeps for several years if not used.
It wont affect the beneficial predatory insects as badly as Sevin and the other broad spectrum stuff, but is the end of the line for feeding and sucking pests. It's also pretty good for maggot flies, Cherry and Cranberry fruitworm at higher label rates.

They can hatch and then blow in from miles away, but will lay thier eggs in your AO after mating.
They LOVE feeding on, and are attracted to Grape leaves, and like deeper grass for areas to lay eggs.
Adopting summer clear till as a practice, keeps them laying thier eggs elsewhere and the grub issues down, but they still can be a problem.
Admire Pro soil applied and watered in around Late May early June will nuke them before they emerge, IF you have an existing grub issue.

Good luck with the things!

Link Posted: 6/30/2014 6:31:59 PM EDT
[#5]
Thanks for the good news man!!!. I used Malathiom today killed em dead Iwas happy i let my girls out today I hope they can take care of them too.
Link Posted: 7/1/2014 8:43:05 AM EDT
[#6]
Not sure if I am following you correctly but I wouldn't let my chickens feed on insects I just killed off with insecticide.  You could hurt your birds and/or you could have issues with your eggs.
Josh
Link Posted: 7/20/2014 3:57:03 AM EDT
[#7]
i had beetle problems so i started to spray thurgicide around my property in the late spring, this kills off the grubs of the beetles after three years i noticed a lot fewer beetles around  particularly spray where the beetles have been feeding as they lay eggs  after feeding . i did my spraying around the first week of june.thurgicide is a bacteria that kills the larvae, nontoxic so i did not have to worry about pets or kids.
http://www.amazon.com/Bonide-Thuricide-8-Ounce-Worm-Killer/dp/B000OBIP20

http://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&keywords=bacillus+thuringiensis+bt&tag=googhydr-20&index=aps&hvadid=28667421447&hvpos=1t1&hvexid=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=4593763123263385382&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=b&hvdev=c&ref=pd_sl_7kcg3f3wdn_b

alex

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top