Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/9/2014 2:44:56 PM EDT
Since I have moved from NJ to Maine I am starting over with my gardens. Fortunately we have upgraded and now have the property to do the things that we were unable to do because of limited space.
So far I have planted some fruit trees (4 Pear, 3 Plum, 2 Apple) to compliment the existing 12 Apple trees that we already have.
My wife and I have also planted (2 Beach Plums, 2 Chokeberry bushes, 2 high bush Cranberries and some transplanted Blueberry bushes).
We have many plants on the way next week (5 varieties of Blueberries, 4 varieties of Raspberries and 3 varieties of Strawberries).
The Raspberries are going into 20' rows in our "Raspberry patch". The Blueberries will make up 6 rows that are about 30' long each.
The Strawberries will be planted in 3 different rows that will be about 40' long.
Now onto the main garden. I finally got someone to roto-till and it will be ready for planting sometime next week. It is 125'x75' and will contain (Tomatoes, Hot Peppers, Sweet Peppers, Cucumbers, Eggplant, Summer/ Winter Squash, Carrots,  Peas, Spinach, Onions, Potatoes, Garlic, Lettuce, various Melons, Corn, Husk Cherries and Herbs).
It feels great to get outside and start on all of this and I am hopeful that we have a good harvest.
Here is a link to last years thread for comparison.
I will update with pics as things progress.
Some Starts under the grow lights

Breaking ground

The Protectors

A Panoramic View

Link Posted: 5/10/2014 8:31:26 PM EDT
[#1]
I read your other thread.  Did you get rid of you other tiller?

TRG
Link Posted: 5/11/2014 8:34:20 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I read your other thread.  Did you get rid of you other tiller?

TRG
View Quote

I left it with my brother so that he could till his and my fathers garden.
Funny thing is I was looking on craigslist yesterday morning and found this one for $500 so I could not pass it up.
It looks almost new and still has the paint on the original tines.

Link Posted: 5/11/2014 9:57:24 AM EDT
[#3]
Nice score.

TRG
Link Posted: 5/11/2014 12:08:25 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Nice score.

TRG
View Quote

Thanks, it needed a carb cleaning and belt adjustment and now it runs like a champ.
I am hoping to find a used 3pt tiller for my tractor soon as that would make my job a whole lot easier. I am going to offer garden tilling as a service since I have a landscaping business. I used to till many gardens every year but got too busy with other landscaping work to keep up with it. Now that I have moved, I would like to offer it again as I can make decent money with it and it is a way to get other work out of new clients.
Link Posted: 5/13/2014 8:48:05 PM EDT
[#5]
Today was a busy day. I had to dig up part of my septic to get a new baffle installed. Of course all of my fruit plants showed up today so I had to plant as many as I could. Strawberries are done (25 honeoye, 25 sparkle and 25 jewel)
Blueberries got planted (5 patriot, 5 blue ray, 5 northland, 5 jersey, 5 bluecrop and 5 Nelson)
I also planted the red raspberries (5 Latham, 5 heritage and 5 boyne)
Tomorrow I have to finish (5 Bristol and 5 jewel black raspberries) and (5 illini hardy blackberries).
After all of that I have to get the vegetable garden going.
Here are a few pics of today's work:

Strawberries

Blueberries and some Raspberries

Link Posted: 5/13/2014 10:13:56 PM EDT
[#6]
Nice place.  I used to live downeast

Miss the scenery, not the winters.
Link Posted: 5/13/2014 10:24:29 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Nice place.  I used to live downeast

Miss the scenery, not the winters.
View Quote

Thank you. I used to live in NY. Winter does not bother me at all.
Link Posted: 5/15/2014 11:09:15 AM EDT
[#8]
Today's update:
I am hardening off my tomatoes and eggplants.

Today I finished up-potting my sweet and hot peppers and my cucumbers, summer/ winter squash and melons are starting to emerge.
Link Posted: 5/18/2014 10:54:15 AM EDT
[#9]
Starting to harden off all of the peppers and tomatoes.
It is supposed to be pretty overcast and rainy this week so hopefully putting them outside will be ok. If all goes well they should be in the ground next week.
I just counted and we have 80 tomato plants and 58 pepper plants
All of my cucs, melons and squash are still under the grow lights.
Link Posted: 6/4/2014 7:48:09 PM EDT
[#10]
Finally got everything planted. All of the beans, tomatoes, peppers, squash, cucumbers, asparagus, potatoes, onions, horseradish, eggplants and melons are in
Link Posted: 6/5/2014 7:31:16 AM EDT
[#11]
You are quite the busy bee.  Well done.

TRG
Link Posted: 6/5/2014 8:46:46 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

TRG
View Quote

Thanks, it is a lot of work to get everything set-up the way we want it. Hopefully next year things will be much easier
I have a ton of other projects to get to and the weather has just not been very cooperative.

My new project is clearing out around our camp on the pond and updating the cabin.
It needs a new roof, some windows and siding. Should be fun.
Link Posted: 6/5/2014 12:10:03 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Thanks, it is a lot of work to get everything set-up the way we want it. Hopefully next year things will be much easier
I have a ton of other projects to get to and the weather has just not been very cooperative.

My new project is clearing out around our camp on the pond and updating the cabin.
http://i1087.photobucket.com/albums/j477/jpmako19/Mobile%20Uploads/2BBDAA9D-08FD-4F45-86A7-090E9A718A95_zpss5w1jp5t.jpg
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

TRG

http://i1087.photobucket.com/albums/j477/jpmako19/Mobile%20Uploads/2BBDAA9D-08FD-4F45-86A7-090E9A718A95_zpss5w1jp5t.jpg

Where I come from that is a lake!

Great job on the plantings. Looks like a lot of planning and time went into that process. Awesome.
Link Posted: 6/29/2014 10:39:24 PM EDT
[#14]
The new digs look spectacular! I've visited Maine a few times, the area around Katahdin is beautiful. One day I hope to live around there. What are some of the biggest differences you've noticed in raising crops (NJ v ME)?
Link Posted: 6/30/2014 9:19:58 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
The new digs look spectacular! I've visited Maine a few times, the area around Katahdin is beautiful. One day I hope to live around there. What are some of the biggest differences you've noticed in raising crops (NJ v ME)?
View Quote

Thanks, so far the only differences are:
The growing season starts about 2 weeks later here.
Maintaining a much larger garden is time consuming
I am sticking with things that I have grown in the past to see what changes I may have to make.
Next year I will be growing many different things that I have either not grown before or had limited success with in the past.
Every year is a learning experience for me.
Link Posted: 6/30/2014 1:06:17 PM EDT
[#16]
How's the garden doing?
Link Posted: 6/30/2014 5:18:50 PM EDT
[#17]
Everything is growing well.
The only problem that I have encountered so far is potato beetles laying eggs on my tomatoes. Any suggestions for getting rid of them besides squishing the eggs. I would like to get rid of the beetles entirely so maybe some beetle traps?
Here are some pics:

Onions and Greens

Potatoes
Link Posted: 6/30/2014 5:24:30 PM EDT
[#18]
Tomatoes

Peppers

Link Posted: 6/30/2014 5:32:00 PM EDT
[#19]
Panoramic of the vegetable garden to include the squash, pumpkins, eggplant and melons.

Link Posted: 6/30/2014 5:43:00 PM EDT
[#20]
good looking spread
Link Posted: 6/30/2014 5:52:48 PM EDT
[#21]
For the beetles Bacillus thuringiensis.
It's the only thing I know of.
Link Posted: 6/30/2014 7:34:54 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
View Quote

I know that works on caterpillars, does it do beetles too?

TRG
Link Posted: 6/30/2014 8:12:10 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

TRG
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

TRG

For potato beetles thats what I'm told.
Link Posted: 8/1/2014 12:17:49 PM EDT
[#24]
Some updates:

Potato beetles are a big problem this year. I have dusted with Sevin twice and they seem to keep coming back.
Hopefully I still get a large crop of potatoes.
My zucchini, yellow squash, Hubbard squash, acorn squash and pumpkins are all doing really well.
Tomatoes and peppers seem to be growing good.
So far I have picked enough cucumbers to make 12 quart jars of pickles and have picked over 25 pounds of zucchini.
All of my melons (watermelon, Amish and charentais melons) are just staring to produce.
Beans are also doing well.
Onions are starting to turn and will be ready in a month or so.
Garlic should arrive soon and will be planted along with peas and more beans for the fall garden.
Thankfully I stocked up on canning jars as I am going to need them.

Link Posted: 8/1/2014 12:21:45 PM EDT
[#25]
We are also picking wild blueberries by the gallon.
All of my apple trees are loaded this year.
Link Posted: 8/12/2014 10:47:51 PM EDT
[#26]
Today's harvest

Some beans (dragon tongue, blue lake, golden wax and Roma's)
About 10 pounds of Yukon Gold potatoes. Some grape and yellow pear tomatoes.
Also some pickling cukes and something new to me (husk cherries)
I am hoping that we get enough of these to make some jam.
Link Posted: 9/11/2014 7:19:52 PM EDT
[#27]
Today's harvest.
Link Posted: 9/13/2014 8:20:29 PM EDT
[#28]
Wow! That's a pretty good haul. We are trying to grow tomatoes for the first time right now.
Link Posted: 9/14/2014 7:19:08 PM EDT
[#29]
Very nice haul indeed.I am down to mostly peppers coming in until I pull the sweet potatoes.
Link Posted: 9/14/2014 7:19:48 PM EDT
[#30]
Out of curiosity, what are you going to do with all those tomatoes?  Sauce?
Link Posted: 9/14/2014 8:36:40 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Out of curiosity, what are you going to do with all those tomatoes?  Sauce?
View Quote

Sauce and Salsa are the two things that we use a lot of so that is what is being made with them.
I usually give some Salsa away as gifts so I will probably make thirty or so pints and make sauce out of whatever is left.
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 12:36:51 PM EDT
[#32]
Today's squash and pumpkin harvest
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 3:12:35 PM EDT
[#33]
Nice haul.  The squashes in the back remind me of Hubbard squashes but I remember those as blue and these look green in the pic - can you tell me what they are?
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 4:47:03 PM EDT
[#34]

Nice haul man.
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 9:08:44 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Nice haul.  The squashes in the back remind me of Hubbard squashes but I remember those as blue and these look green in the pic - can you tell me what they are?
View Quote

They are Hubbard and Sweet Meat squash. I think it's the lighting because they are blue. Some are pale gray and blue. I hope they are good as I have never had much luck growing them before and now I have over 300lbs of them
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 9:08:59 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Nice haul man.
View All Quotes

Thanks
Link Posted: 9/20/2014 6:48:38 PM EDT
[#37]
Well it seems that gardening season has come to an abrupt end for me
We had two nights of frost and almost all of my plants are gone.
My wife and I salvaged whatever we could as far as harvest (peppers, tomatoes, melons and beans)
I suppose that these things happen but I was not ready!
Link Posted: 9/20/2014 6:50:52 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
My wife and I salvaged whatever we could as far as harvest (peppers, tomatoes, melons and beans)
View Quote

Sorry to hear that man.  You had a good looking spread.
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 9:09:13 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks, it sucks but we were able to get a good harvest this year. This is my first year gardening in Maine so this was a good learning experience.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top