Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/23/2014 12:30:24 PM EDT
Will a 4'x4' bed support 4 zucchini plants if I stake and grown them vertically?  
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 1:31:09 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 1:37:08 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 6:09:16 PM EDT
[#3]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

My "Square Foot Gardening" book says zucchini needs a 3' x 3' space per plant, and I'm not sure how you plan to grow zucchini vertically since it is a bush type squash.  Is there a vining type zucchini I'm not aware of?
View Quote
It basically involves driving a stake in and tying the plant to it as it grows and trimming the lower leaves.  You're not training it on a trellis like you would a vine type.

Link Posted: 4/24/2014 4:18:19 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 5:35:01 AM EDT
[#5]
I'd say give it a shot and let us know. I've never grown them like that before, but normally I'd say not enough room.
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 5:50:56 AM EDT
[#6]
It's probably possible but you might get less yield. Give it a shot.  Farmers didn't have the internet in the 1980s and probably just tried new things to see if they worked sometimes.
Link Posted: 4/25/2014 3:43:40 AM EDT
[#7]
you probably will get away with 2 plants in that box, but no more.

Zucs and Squash are super easy to grow, but a freaking space hog.
Link Posted: 4/27/2014 9:34:08 AM EDT
[#8]
We'll see how it goes, the worst thing that can happen is they die and I plant something else.

Link Posted: 4/27/2014 3:22:41 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
We'll see how it goes, the worst thing that can happen is they die and I plant something else.

http://i759.photobucket.com/albums/xx239/Scott_In_OKC/Garden/2014-04-27%2012.16.55_zpsxndu1bvh.jpg

View Quote

I'm very interested to see how this does and what your yield per plant will be.  I've read it is lower BUT you're the first person I can watch do it.  My zuccinni take up a 2'x2' section in the garden bed.
Link Posted: 4/27/2014 5:13:23 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

I'm very interested to see how this does and what your yield per plant will be.  I've read it is lower BUT you're the first person I can watch do it.  My zuccinni take up a 2'x2' section in the garden bed.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

http://i759.photobucket.com/albums/xx239/Scott_In_OKC/Garden/2014-04-27%2012.16.55_zpsxndu1bvh.jpg

I'll do my best to keep this from slipping into the archives.

Link Posted: 4/27/2014 10:18:36 PM EDT
[#11]
Informative post.. I don't think the space I have for mine will be enough. Can they hang over the side of a 2' tall planter box and grow down over the side?
Link Posted: 4/28/2014 6:04:10 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Informative post.. I don't think the space I have for mine will be enough. Can they hang over the side of a 2' tall planter box and grow down over the side?
View Quote

Absolutely.  I'm going to be doing this.  I read about it in a square foot gardening book.  Saved space and also since the vegetable grows such a big plant it helps finding them.    If you're doing pumpkins this is the best way to grow them to make flat bottoms.
Link Posted: 4/29/2014 3:17:51 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View Quote

I would keep 2 diagonal plants and lose the other 2.

Your yield is going to suffer with 4 to that box.

BTW:
Squash and Zucs are not something you can train vertically. The leaves are way too big and if you start lopping off leaves your harvest will suck big time. But, what do I know, I have only been gardening for 40 plus years.

Link Posted: 5/1/2014 6:49:38 AM EDT
[#14]
How much zuchini can you eat?  For a family of 3, I never needed more than 1 plant.  Always planted 2-3 thinking one might not make it, etc.  By the end of summer neighbors, friends and coworkers would hide rather than get asked if they wanted more.....

Point is, I'd use that bed for 2 plants grown normally.  Should work fine and yield plenty.
Link Posted: 5/1/2014 10:43:58 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 5/3/2014 3:15:38 PM EDT
[#16]
My wife went a little overboard with the zucchini and we had 3 plants per 3x4 bed (2 beds total) and has more zucchini than we could give away or freeze.
Link Posted: 6/4/2014 5:06:34 PM EDT
[#17]
So far, so good.  All the squash is blooming at this point.  I'll be pruning and tying to the stakes pretty soon.

Link Posted: 6/10/2014 7:29:42 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
My wife went a little overboard with the zucchini and we had 3 plants per 3x4 bed (2 beds total) and has more zucchini than we could give away or freeze.
View Quote

Zucchini is a great 'hidden' ingredient in relishes, chow-chows, salsa and other canned goods.

It really does not have a 'flavor' that is identifiable.  Grind it up and it adds volume and carries flavor to the palate.

It's a fragile plant, and stinkbugs can kill a plant overnight, but ... when you get tired of it fresh, fried, or grilled... grind/shred and use it in place of cabbage or other plants, as a filler in your favorite canned recipe.

Also, if you buy the proper julienne slicer, you can make a pretty damn easy 'spaghetti' from it.  Lower calories, all the flavor of a wheat based noodle.

TRg
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top