BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 10
Link Posted: 5/27/2015 11:12:19 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Sorry to hear it.  Hopefully you will get some sun soon.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Nice harvest.

Thank you.  Hopefully when the heat kicks on for the summer I won't lose everything.  Thanks for sending some rain btw - we were running 30 days or so with nothing prior to yesterday.  

We got rained on again yesterday.
I hope the sun comes out today, the garden needs it.

Sorry to hear it.  Hopefully you will get some sun soon.

Thanks man.
I did get my wish it's nice and sunny right now. It had to burn off a bit this morning.
Link Posted: 5/27/2015 11:04:11 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 5/27/2015 11:05:31 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 7:40:38 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Wonderful photos.  
View Quote

Thanks!  I have really been impressed with how the mellow yellow beans are performing; I will definitely plant them again next year.
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 9:21:09 AM EDT
[#5]
Beds 1 and 2

The potatoes are flowering, and the iceberg lettuce is still alive!

The corn is tasselling!  The packet says 12ft but these look to have stopped at about 8.

The ground cherries are coming along nicely.

Here you can see they are starting to produce fruit.

Tomatillas and tomatoes.  The tomatoes were un-impressed with the month without rain, even with the drip lines.

The cilantro collapsed under it's own weight once it got wet.  I cut a swath out of the middle in hopes the rest of the plant would recover.  I would rather not cut the top off because it would be nice to get coriander, and the seed heads are all pretty much at the top of the plant.  I pulled the leaves off the cuttings and froze them with some water for later use.

I really need to add more dirt to the potato-in-a-bucket, but it weathered the month without rain just fine with a bit of watering.

Beds 3 and 4

Suprisingly, the rhubarb is going like gangbusters, and the chard is feeling the heat.  That seems so wrong, but there you go.  Some of the rhubarb leaves are a decent 2 ft across!

The little Ichiban eggplant seedling I got from Lowe's seems to be taking it's new home well.

Misc brassicas.  The stuff that looks somewhat like clover is the oca.

These are a bit hard to see, but they are parsnips.  These were started in loo roll middles and set out once they had starter leaves.  Next year I will start them even earlier and plant them after seeing the first true leaves.  Still, this is the best result I have had yet with the parsnips.  Loo roll middles for the win!

The hakurei turnips should be ready to pull in another week or two.

It doesn't show well in this photo but the peppers are starting to fruit nicely.

The butterbeans I thought I had accidently gotten a climbing bean variety on turned out just to be large bush plants that are really happy where they are.  LOL.  They are starting to form beans now and based on the amount of flowers I anticipate a nice harvest.

The sweet potatoes are going like gangbusters.

We are at the point in the year I expect the summer squash to mug me for my lunch money...

The zucchini is coming along.

The garlic is happy and the cucumbers are climbing.

Since rain this time of year is a crap shoot I went ahead and pulled the snow peas a few days early so I could transplant the melon while the soil was still thouroughly damp.  These are the last of the snow peas for the season.  

So far the berry harvest looks promising!
Link Posted: 5/29/2015 8:02:18 AM EDT
[#6]
On the question of mulches, here is an interesting review:
http://www.homesteadandgardens.com/mulches-types-uses/

I would argue pine straw doesn't last nearly as long as they think it does here in the south, but other than that I found it interesting.
Link Posted: 5/29/2015 9:32:36 AM EDT
[#7]
I swear there must be some secret ingredient that your not sharing with us.  Your plants always look lush with very little bug damage.

FWIW, that's about the size of the ichibans that we put in a month ago.  They just kind of sat there for a week and then took off and currently have an eggplant about the size of a fat finger
Link Posted: 5/29/2015 10:35:45 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I swear there must be some secret ingredient that your not sharing with us.  Your plants always look lush with very little bug damage.

FWIW, that's about the size of the ichibans that we put in a month ago.  They just kind of sat there for a week and then took off and currently have an eggplant about the size of a fat finger
View Quote

Thank you.  
Sadly, my only secret to the small amount of bug damage is that other than the zucchini, if something gets eaten alive I try not to plant that variety again.  Last year a bunch of things got pulled without even getting to harvest because they had become massively infested.    I am trying to not plant the same things this time.  

As to the lush  - I think it's the depth of the worked soil, combined with annual Black Kow amendment.  That stuff works wonders.  I also added some rock dust this year and it seems to be helping as well.  YMMV.

I hope you are right about the eggplant - it was later than I would normally plant it, but we have a long season so here's hoping.

Link Posted: 5/29/2015 12:38:25 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Thank you.  

Sadly, my only secret to the small amount of bug damage is that other than the zucchini, if something gets eaten alive I try not to plant that variety again.  Last year a bunch of things got pulled without even getting to harvest because they had become massively infested.    I am trying to not plant the same things this time.  

As to the lush  - I think it's the depth of the worked soil, combined with annual Black Kow amendment.  That stuff works wonders.  I also added some rock dust this year and it seems to be helping as well.  YMMV.

I hope you are right about the eggplant - it was later than I would normally plant it, but we have a long season so here's hoping.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Thank you.  

I can't help but think the height and material of your raised beds also acts a barrier/deterrent for a lot of less determined pests.

Link Posted: 5/29/2015 1:19:58 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

I can't help but think the height and material of your raised beds also acts a barrier/deterrent for a lot of less determined pests.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thank you.  

Quite possibly.  I do know that plants in it perform a lot better in regards to temperature and moisture variability than things I have in pots.  Between the all the advantages it almost feels like cheating.    Hell, I have iceberg lettuce growing in 90 degree temps that hasn't bolted yet!    
They were a lot of work up-front but have done a lot to compensate for my overall lack of experience in gardening.  I don't even have to weed more than a single volunteer every now an again.  Seriously - I think I have pulled 4 weed seedlings since the season started.  
Link Posted: 5/30/2015 10:51:12 PM EDT
[#11]
Well pretty much all I am harvesting now are beans.

On the down side, the bok choy bolted, even though I had it in a shady spot...

...and it will probably be weeks before I see my first ripe tomato:

On the upside however, several things are coming along nicely.  
The corn is tasseling:

The lettuce is looking good:

The peppers are forming:

The butterbeans are starting to look like something:

The first of the season's cucumbers is starting to form:

All in all, one of my favorite times in the garden, when everything is possible and very little has died yet.  
Link Posted: 6/1/2015 8:19:20 AM EDT
[#12]
Wow.  It rained yesterday and:

I saw the first stink bugs (on my potato plants, oddly enough) and gave them the traditional soapy-water welcome.

The eggplant I was concerned about is already showing it's first attempt at possibly fruiting!

Everything is doing a lot better than last year *knock on wood*.
I wonder if it was the rock dust?

Link Posted: 6/1/2015 6:22:31 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 6/1/2015 8:09:52 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Neat double squash.  How many plants dd those straight necks come from?
View Quote

2.  I forgot to thin to one plant when they were small, and now I'm not sure I can get them apart.  
Link Posted: 6/2/2015 7:08:43 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Neat double squash.
View Quote

Yup, this is proof he is doing something strange in his garden. Probably has some turtles learning ninja skills in the bushes out back that crawled through his spilt "fertilizer"!
Link Posted: 6/2/2015 7:50:26 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Yup, this is proof he is doing something strange in his garden. Probably has some turtles learning ninja skills in the bushes out back that crawled through his spilt "fertilizer"!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Neat double squash.

Link Posted: 6/2/2015 9:45:44 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 6/3/2015 9:14:49 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Ratling, is there a post in your thread that talks about the construction of your raised beds?

After a few years, mine have disintegrated.  I've got to do something more permanent next year.

If you say yes, I will start from the beginning and read through.

Kitties
View Quote

No, nothing really on the original construction, but they were pretty easy - myself and my friend knocked out 1 in a weekend and neither one of us are in particularly great shape.

Steps:
1.  Measure out the bed with a tape rule.
2.  Test lay your blocks and adjust layout if needed.
3.  Using a sharp flat-bladed shovel, cut around the blocks then cut out all the sod.
4.  If needed, continue to dig down any high points until it looks fairly level.

<<This is where the pain in the butt part begins.>>
5.  If you are going to make it more than 1 row high, level each block as you put it in - any sharp change in level will cause gaps as you go up (ask me how I know).  If you are only going 1 block high, you could technically skip this part, but still it looks better if you do it.
<<End of the pain in the butt section>>

6.  Continue stacking blocks to desired height.
7.  If you are going more than 2 blocks high, fill every other block with concrete and rebar.  (I'm not sure if this step was necessary or overkill, but I knew I never wanted to have to rebuild them, and the thermal mass works really well for the plants.)
8.  Fill with dirt, and enjoy!

This was fairly level ground but you can see how much the block wobble in the initial layout.

Here we have the outline cut and the first block of sod shoveled out.  You can see the old beds here - they were supposed to last indefinitely but the southern sun cooked them and the lawnmower finished the job.

A different bed (bed 1), but this shows the initial sod removal.  I kept getting busy and forgetting to get pictures.

Bed 1 initial test fit on the cut-out.  At this point the blocks have not yet been cut in to level and the outline is still rolling with the topography.

This is what it looked like after we (mostly) leveled it.  We used to board on edge along the top of the blocks as we laid them to make sure they didn't wobble too much.  A string and sticks would have been more precise, but hey, I'm a gardener, not a mason!

Bed 1 going up...

...And up.  (This is the fun easy part).

The blackberry beds only went 2 1/2 blocks high.  We ended up burying about half a block in leveling them so we didn't fill there.  This shows a pretty good view of the construction.

Beds 1 and 2 nearly complete:

...and finished and filled:

If I had to do it again I would probably set them into a bit of concrete when laying the first course just because leveling the dirt under them was a royal pita.  I'd love to see pics of how your project goes, whatever you decide to build with!
Link Posted: 6/3/2015 11:45:25 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 6/3/2015 12:53:40 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

AWESOME write up!

So....in the photos where you have stuff growing in the original beds as you're building your new ones--did you just transplant that? Or wait for it to finish the season and fill the following year?  Your new beds are much deeper than your original ones, so did you just dump the new fill in on top of the old beds?
View Quote

Thanks!  I pulled the old beds edging, and anything ready for harvest.  The rest met a tragic fate.    
Link Posted: 6/3/2015 1:11:47 PM EDT
[#21]
A storm came through yesterday, complete with lightning and high winds.  The winds snapped my tomatilla off at the base.  It will set me back a good bit but thankfully there are 2 seedling already growing at the base from earlier when I realised I need 2 plants to get a harvest.

The lull as most of the spring harvest ends.

The first of the summer harvest!  Blackberries, blueberries, summer squash, zucchini, cucumbers, and beans.  The green sticks are rhubarb stalks.  They snapped during the storm so I went ahead and harvested them.
Link Posted: 6/4/2015 10:56:34 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 6/5/2015 11:25:33 AM EDT
[#23]
Not a lot has changed in the look of the garden since last week.  Most of the stuff is just humming along but not yet to harvest-able size or ripeness.

Today's harvest - more rhubarb, orange mint, lemon balm, blackberries, cucumber, lettuce and beans.  I was waiting for the lettuce to head however it turns out while they may grow fine in the heat, they may never head.  Oh well, it looks tasty and crunchy anyway.

I planted the turnips too close together so I thinned half - These will get roasted with salt, pepper, garlic, and olive oil.  The rest should size up nicely with the added space.  My results have improved as I have gotten more ruthless with spacing.

The proof-of concept parsnip experiment is trucking along nicely.  I definitly had better germination and less lost bed time using the cardboard tp centers.

Even mutagenic ooze is apparently not enough to protect chinese cabbages from determined pests.  

The corn is starting to fill out, and the silk is just starting to brown.

The brussels sprouts are starting to form in spite of the heat.  I didn't realize how big these things get when they are happy - the last few times I tried to grow them they didn't thrive and weren't nearly this big.  Next time they get a 2ft x 2ft block each!
Link Posted: 6/7/2015 10:53:58 AM EDT
[#24]
Today's harvest - blackberries, summer squash, rhubarb, cucumber and beans.
Link Posted: 6/7/2015 5:26:23 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View Quote

Along that line of thought, I wonder if raised beds need rock dust for the trace elements more so than those planted directly in mother earth???  Similar to the need for compost to supplement and lighten virgin soil.

Thank you for your Black Kow tip.  Couldn't find any locally but I'll pick some up at Home Depot in the big city.
Link Posted: 6/7/2015 5:37:10 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Along that line of thought, I wonder if raised beds need rock dust for the trace elements more so than those planted directly in mother earth???  Similar to the need for compost to supplement and lighten virgin soil.

Thank you for your Black Kow tip.  Couldn't find any locally but I'll pick some up at Home Depot in the big city.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Anytime man!  Black Kow works wonders.
Link Posted: 6/8/2015 10:40:40 AM EDT
[#27]
Looking good man.
Link Posted: 6/8/2015 10:45:32 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Looking good man.
View Quote

Thanks!
Link Posted: 6/8/2015 10:55:28 AM EDT
[#29]
The single silver chard was starting to bolt, so I harvested the whole plant.  The rainbow chard seems to be handling the heat okay so far.

Zuccchini, summer squash, and cucumber.  So far I have met my goal for this garden - to provide daily fresh dinner sides for my household of 2 on a regular basis, with a little bit left over to share.  
Link Posted: 6/9/2015 11:55:43 AM EDT
[#30]
Well, the mellow yellow beans are finally starting to wind down, but the blackberries are picking up:
Link Posted: 6/10/2015 1:04:58 PM EDT
[#31]
Today's harvest.  This is the last of the mellow yellow beans and turnips.  I have been pulling rhubarb as it gets too large and in the way and so far it I have been pleasantly surprised with how well it is doing.  The turnips are a small variety - other than a few runts this is as large as they normally get.

I put a butternut squash seedling where the mellow yellow beans were, and added some tenderpick bush beans where the turnips were.  Inside I started to some glasswort/samphire in seedlings pots, and later today I have some chuffa tubers going into a pot to see what happens.  I will start carrot seeds this evening as well, in toilet paper roll middles.  They make a nice fill-in if I have a spot nothing else will grow - once I get them started they seem almost bullet-proof.  I haven't decided what to put where the corn is now when it comes out, or what will replace the butter beans once they finish.  There are only so many things that are productive in 90 days or less that can also handle the heat.  I may end up growing more potatoes.
Link Posted: 6/11/2015 9:02:52 AM EDT
[#32]
Today's harvest:  Blackberries, chinese long beans, zucchini, summer squash, and cucumbers.

The outside of bed 1.  I pulled the mellow yellow beans - yu can just see the tiny leaves of the butternut squash that will replace them up near the front.  I didn't start this soon enough for it to size up properly, but it is better than trying to direct germinate a seed this time of year.  Since the vine is pretty flexible I will curl it around into any empty spaces down that side of  the bed and let it do it's thing.  The potatoes and corn should be out within the month so it will have plenty of sun and space to roam.

The other side of bed1, and the hole where the rest of the mellow yellow beans were.  I expect the brussels sprouts to come out this month, along with the corn and possibly the potatoes.  This side may get an attempt at a baby watermelon if I see one at the home store tomorrow.

Bed 2.  The ground cherry is going like gangbusters.

The tomatoe leaves are curling with the heat, but they are still flowering and forming fruit.  The replacement tomatillas are starting to grow vigorously.

The potted rhubarb and the sunflower are coming along.

The potato-in-a-bucket is doing better than I expected.

The swiss chard is still hanging in there so far.

The eggplant is starting to size up, but the climbing winged beans are growing a lot slower than expected.  I haven't even seen the first flowers on these yet.

The oca is coming along (that's the clover-looking stuff) and the honeydew melon is almost big enough to start tying to the trellis.

The parsnips I transplanted earlier into the hole left by the spring beets.  I saved almost a month of grow time transplanting them, and had much better germination rates.

Tendercrisp bush green beans I transplanted to fill the spot left by the turnips.  They look a little rough this morning but I have a few spare seedlings I can fill in if some don't make it.

Peppers.  No ripe fruit yet, but plenty of green forming.

The other side of the rhubarb shown earlier by the chard.  This is the first year I have had any sucess with rhubarb and it is going like mad.

Sweet potatoes and cucumbers.

Summer squash on it's usual rampage to take over the garden.  I forgot to thin down to 1 seedling and now it's too late to separate them.  Oops.

Zucchini.

Butterbeans.  I originally thought these would come out soon based on the pods starting to fill but I got a whole new flush of flowers so this will probably produce until August or so instead.  

My first baby eggplant forming!

Link Posted: 6/11/2015 9:19:22 AM EDT
[#33]
It's pretty much mid-season here planting wise, so for the periodic lessons learned:

1.  The most important thing to good production is planning.
2.  The most important thing to planning is knowing your site - not just the frost dates but the average summer temp and humidity, when and how much rain usually falls, how many hours and how strong is your daylight, etc.  This has taken me years to get a good grip on (okay, I'm a bit slow, but I CAN be taught.)  
3.  The daylight is good and strong here as early as March if I can protect things from frost, however it is fairly weak by the end of September.  Since the heat doesn't die down until about mid-September, spring is the best bet for cool-weather crops unless they grow really fast.  Fall is a crap shoot, even though I can't usually resist trying something anyway.
4.  Once we get to October here the daylight is weak enough and few enough hours of sun even lettuce won't get much bigger (surprisingly enough, carrots still do well).
5.  Things are going to die on you.  Keeping a rolling crop of seedlings make a big difference here in the south where the season is long enough to start again.  It's also good practice, which I probably need.
6.  If it's not thriving, rip it out and replace it with something that will.
7.  The person with fresh blackberries has  a lot of friends.  
8.  Different varieties of the same plant vary a lot more than I thought they did on size, flavor, disease/pest resistance and time to harvest.  I am slowly learning which varieties do well in my yard.
9.  If you plant something and it does lousy, you may want to try again in a different location or with a different planting time.  My rhubarb last year died ugly.  I tried again.  It died ugly.  I tried a 3rd time in a different spot and...success!
Link Posted: 6/11/2015 3:47:10 PM EDT
[#34]
Well, the home store was pretty much a bust - all they had left was tomatoes, peppers, squash and herbs.  That wasn't terribly unexpected although I was hoping for a sugar baby watermelon seedling - they take up less space and list as 75 days vs up to 120 for the larger varieties.  Oh well: I snoozed; I lost.  Since I am going to have things coming out in the near future such as corn, potatoes, and brussels sprouts, I went ahead and started some more seeds.  This round includes red celery, red russian kale, white kholrabi, black seeded simpson lettuce and buttercrunch lettuce.  Tomorrow I will fill some loo roll middles for carrot seeds in case the zucchini and/or summer squash succumb to vine borers.
Link Posted: 6/12/2015 12:14:13 AM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 6/12/2015 8:43:17 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Since you keep a record of what does well in your space, can you give advice on the kind of system you use for that? Spreadsheet?  Garden journal?  scribbles in a notebook?  

And I would love to see your findings on the varietals you've tried if you ever feel like posting them up.  

As an aside..I'm really surprised that you're not WAY too hot for any type of lettuce crop at this point.   I don't know SC climate, but I just assumed you are considerably hotter than we are up here.  (Kentucky)
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
It's pretty much mid-season here planting wise, so for the periodic lessons learned:

1.  The most important thing to good production is planning.
2.  The most important thing to planning is knowing your site - not just the frost dates but the average summer temp and humidity, when and how much rain usually falls, how many hours and how strong is your daylight, etc.  This has taken me years to get a good grip on (okay, I'm a bit slow, but I CAN be taught.)  
3.  The daylight is good and strong here as early as March if I can protect things from frost, however it is fairly weak by the end of September.  Since the heat doesn't die down until about mid-September, spring is the best bet for cool-weather crops unless they grow really fast.  Fall is a crap shoot, even though I can't usually resist trying something anyway.
4.  Once we get to October here the daylight is weak enough and few enough hours of sun even lettuce won't get much bigger (surprisingly enough, carrots still do well).
5.  Things are going to die on you.  Keeping a rolling crop of seedlings make a big difference here in the south where the season is long enough to start again.  It's also good practice, which I probably need.
6.  If it's not thriving, rip it out and replace it with something that will.
7.  The person with fresh blackberries has  a lot of friends.  
8.  Different varieties of the same plant vary a lot more than I thought they did on size, flavor, disease/pest resistance and time to harvest.  I am slowly learning which varieties do well in my yard.
9.  If you plant something and it does lousy, you may want to try again in a different location or with a different planting time.  My rhubarb last year died ugly.  I tried again.  It died ugly.  I tried a 3rd time in a different spot and...success!

Since you keep a record of what does well in your space, can you give advice on the kind of system you use for that? Spreadsheet?  Garden journal?  scribbles in a notebook?  

And I would love to see your findings on the varietals you've tried if you ever feel like posting them up.  

As an aside..I'm really surprised that you're not WAY too hot for any type of lettuce crop at this point.   I don't know SC climate, but I just assumed you are considerably hotter than we are up here.  (Kentucky)

I have tried spreadsheets, notebooks, etc.  So far the thing that has worked best for me is this garden thread.  I can look through and see not only what I was harvesting when, but also pictures of how everything looked at each point.  
I keep physical notes, but the pictures would start to get expensive to print, so for those I stick with the computer.  I have folders of progress in the garden from the early days with the shallow beds to now, arranged by date.  (That is how I was able to pull out the stuff on the raised bed construction.)  

As to the lettuce - I really didn't think any lettuce would grow here after April, but it has been in the 90's off an on for weeks and I just pulled a lovely crisphead type out!  It was even growing in full sun!    I think the solar mediation of the concrete and the mulch helps.  I will admit that it didn't head properly, but it was a lovely crisp lettuce none-the-less.  That is what inspired me to try a few more, and buttercrunch and black-seeded simpson are supposed to be fairly heat tolerant.  If I think something might work I throw it in the garden and see what happens.  Sometimes I am pleasantly surprised.  Other times, well, I can always pull it out and try something else.  
Link Posted: 6/13/2015 12:20:20 AM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 6/13/2015 8:28:50 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

I like your philosophy a lot.

I have questions..

1-Had you gardened before "in-ground"?

If so, do you see significant changes that need to be made when a gardener switches to raised beds?

(I have to say, if I were rendering any kind of guess from afar, without seeing your operation first hand, I'd guess that the concrete block structure, even specifically the concrete/air space/concrete structure that the blocks create, quite likely acts as a significant insulating buffer to ANY temperature variation in any direction, creating a very consistent environment both for the growing medium and a "softening" of the temp variation in the air surrounding your beds, and that's brilliantly evident in your results. I want very much to try this next year in a bed or two.)

2-It looks like you are using soaker hose for irrigation. (I saw some kind of hose-like thing wrapping under the wood chip mulch). How often and at what times are you watering?

3-Are you using any kind of fertilizer?  Any liquid feed via the irrigation?

Brilliant thread all around.  Thank you so much for sharing it here.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I have tried spreadsheets, notebooks, etc.  So far the thing that has worked best for me is this garden thread.  I can look through and see not only what I was harvesting when, but also pictures of how everything looked at each point.  
I keep physical notes, but the pictures would start to get expensive to print, so for those I stick with the computer.  I have folders of progress in the garden from the early days with the shallow beds to now, arranged by date.  (That is how I was able to pull out the stuff on the raised bed construction.)  

As to the lettuce - I really didn't think any lettuce would grow here after April, but it has been in the 90's off an on for weeks and I just pulled a lovely crisphead type out!  It was even growing in full sun!    I think the solar mediation of the concrete and the mulch helps.  I will admit that it didn't head properly, but it was a lovely crisp lettuce none-the-less.  That is what inspired me to try a few more, and buttercrunch and black-seeded simpson are supposed to be fairly heat tolerant.  If I think something might work I throw it in the garden and see what happens.  Sometimes I am pleasantly surprised.  Other times, well, I can always pull it out and try something else.  

I like your philosophy a lot.

I have questions..

1-Had you gardened before "in-ground"?

If so, do you see significant changes that need to be made when a gardener switches to raised beds?

(I have to say, if I were rendering any kind of guess from afar, without seeing your operation first hand, I'd guess that the concrete block structure, even specifically the concrete/air space/concrete structure that the blocks create, quite likely acts as a significant insulating buffer to ANY temperature variation in any direction, creating a very consistent environment both for the growing medium and a "softening" of the temp variation in the air surrounding your beds, and that's brilliantly evident in your results. I want very much to try this next year in a bed or two.)

2-It looks like you are using soaker hose for irrigation. (I saw some kind of hose-like thing wrapping under the wood chip mulch). How often and at what times are you watering?

3-Are you using any kind of fertilizer?  Any liquid feed via the irrigation?

Brilliant thread all around.  Thank you so much for sharing it here.

Thanks!  
1.  Other than a few frustrating attempts as a kid, I never really gardened in-ground much other than trees and shrubs.  The ground here gets really wet, and most things drown unless the bed is raised a little bit.  Actually, I haven't really noticed any downsides, now that you mention it.  They are more work and cost initially, and my neighbors got a bit curious about what the heck I was doing with all those blocks though.

2.  I am indeed using a soaker hose.  It was a lot cheaper than drip tape and I re-arrange frequently, so it was more versatile.  Because the highly composted bed material holds water like a sponge I only need to water if I have new seedlings (usually a spot-watering) or it has been a week or so without rain in the dry season.  I get about 2 good waterings out of a barrel, and the barrels each serve 2 4ftx16ft beds.

3.  I use some organic fertilizer once in a while, but mostly at the end of the season I amend with Black Kow to the tune of about 2 bags per bed.  This year I also got a hold of some rabbit compost for beds 1 and 2.  I haven't noticed a difference between the Black Kow beds and the rabbit poo beds.  The whole garden also got some rock dust this year for the first time.  It is supposed to improve the mineral content of your veggies, and supply trace minerals that might ordinarily be missing from the soil.  All of the household's eggshells get baked, crushed, and sprinkled on the garden.

Link Posted: 6/13/2015 8:56:26 AM EDT
[#39]
Yesterday's harvest: The first of the butterbeans are in!

Today's:  I cut the orange mint back since it was getting wooly.  The leaves are drying in the small dehydrator.  They smell fantastic so I am going to see if they make decent tea.
Link Posted: 6/13/2015 9:22:12 PM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 6/15/2015 8:52:58 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Bet that orange mint would make a bitchin' mint julep.

I have worked out what I consider the best "Regular Joe" recipe for the KY Derby mint julep, if the need comes up.

Just sayin'.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Yesterday's harvest: The first of the butterbeans are in!
<a href="http://s1367.photobucket.com/user/ratling87/media/061315A_zpsy819eama.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i1367.photobucket.com/albums/r791/ratling87/061315A_zpsy819eama.jpg</a>

Today's:  I cut the orange mint back since it was getting wooly.  The leaves are drying in the small dehydrator.  They smell fantastic so I am going to see if they make decent tea.
<a href="http://s1367.photobucket.com/user/ratling87/media/061315B_zpsmgm8y3ov.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i1367.photobucket.com/albums/r791/ratling87/061315B_zpsmgm8y3ov.jpg</a>

Bet that orange mint would make a bitchin' mint julep.

I have worked out what I consider the best "Regular Joe" recipe for the KY Derby mint julep, if the need comes up.

Just sayin'.  

I was thinking cold mint tea, but that sounds really good.
Link Posted: 6/15/2015 11:41:20 PM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 6/16/2015 8:28:30 AM EDT
[#43]
Nice looking harvest.
Link Posted: 6/17/2015 12:18:26 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
First time I've shared this on Arfcom.

Here you go..

Kentucky Derby Mint Julep ala Kitties

View Quote

Thanks Kitties!
Link Posted: 6/17/2015 12:23:18 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Nice looking harvest.
View Quote

Thanks!  Your garden is also looking really good!
Link Posted: 6/17/2015 12:34:21 PM EDT
[#46]
These are from the last few days of harvest.  I am finally getting enough berries to be worth separating.

I ended up getting rid of the largest cucumber -It was big enough to have gotten bitter.  (It's amazing how well the little suckers hide!)

Link Posted: 6/17/2015 5:53:26 PM EDT
[#47]
Look's good, on a side note, my Mom sold her house. My cousin and I are splitting the Rhubarb plant in half. kinda kool that I'll have a rhubarb plant from My Grandmother's house.
Link Posted: 6/18/2015 2:26:32 AM EDT
[#48]
I wonder if you can give us a run down on your decision to use "rock dust" in your garden?

Apologies if you covered this, but a quick scan of the thread didn't show any detail.

Incorporating it seems to change PH levels to some extent as it adds needed minerals but you don't test for PH. How did you come to decide it was warranted above what is already in the soil you add each year?

Does this relate to turtles in any way?
Link Posted: 6/18/2015 9:08:40 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Look's good, on a side note, my Mom sold her house. My cousin and I are splitting the Rhubarb plant in half. kinda kool that I'll have a rhubarb plant from My Grandmother's house.
View Quote

That is actually pretty cool.  Nice score!
Link Posted: 6/18/2015 9:15:54 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
I wonder if you can give us a run down on your decision to use "rock dust" in your garden?

Apologies if you covered this, but a quick scan of the thread didn't show any detail.

Incorporating it seems to change PH levels to some extent as it adds needed minerals but you don't test for PH. How did you come to decide it was warranted above what is already in the soil you add each year?

Does this relate to turtles in any way?
View Quote

I haven't done soil tests, no.  I keep telling myself I should, but mostly I walk around the garden and observe a lot.  Then I change something and see what happens.  The soil is the bed is completely comprised of a combination of composted trees/shrubs/etc, with some Black Kow, a bit of Black Hen, some peat moss and rabbit poo.   The bulk of it is the composted woody bits, and when they first went in the plants looked deficient.  The Black Kow has helped a lot with that.  I found some stuff online with a gentleman growing really nice produce out of just wood chips and rock dust, and figured since my stuff was mostly composted wood chips it might be worth a shot.  It's funny - I joke about my hammock being my favorite piece of garden equipment but I really do tend to observe the garden a lot when I am in it.  Soil tests are probably a great tool, but I think incredible things are possible if you just go out in your garden every day and observe (well, that and feed the turtles )
Page / 10
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top