Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 4/23/2014 3:47:20 AM EDT
A lot of folks are documenting their progress so I thought I'd play along too.

We've only been in our new place a few years and this is the first season I've had even a little time to consider starting up a garden.

It's a beginning - albeit a humble one!

The former owners had a small garden patch of about 30x50 that I'm attempting to reclaim.  

I swear they must have seeded bermuda in it after closing, because the first spring we moved in it took over the patch and we have little of it elsewhere!

A couple summers of being bush hogged didn't do it any favors as the soil is now fairly compacted.

So given the current condition and my limited time, I thought I start by putting a few raised boxes in and filling them with a quality compost.

There is a large organic farm nearby that sells what looks to be great compost @ 20$/sq so I've already hauled over two yards to start.

Eventually I may pull the  boxes out and plow everything back in to the patch and go back to standard row gardening - but we'll see how the boxes play out.

The plan for this year is for (already behind schedule):

•  2 - 4x8x10" boxes (standard veggie plantings)

•  1 - 2x8x10" box for tomatoes (trellis down the middle w/tomatoes planted @ 1' spacing on alternate sides of the trellis)

•  Redeploy 8'x'9x16' (span) hoop house as a trellis with containers or boxes on each end for trellis-able plants (cucs, beans, peas, etc)

•  Bagged potatoes

•  Conventional rows (maybe another 4x8' area) for corn

For the boxes I've been turning over the dirt beneath one spade deep, leveling the box and filling with compost.

I have the patch surrounded with electrified netting for now - I plan on eventually sinking posts and stretching a proper fence + some hot strands as the area is heavy w/deer and all the other expected critters.

We also apparently have moles - first I've had to deal with them so that should be fun.

I moved my bachelor roosters onto the spot a few months back so they could help a bit.  They will be relocated before planting.  Their hoop shelter will be reused as hoop trellis mentioned above:

One box in and I'm being mugged by my girls for a handout:

Ground broke for the second box (and still pulling out decent sized stones):

Doesn't look like much of a slope in the photo:

But leveling out the box shows a 6"+ drop over 4 feet.  I think I will add another row of boards (maybe 6") to actually make it a raised bed  as it's darn near flush on the uphill side:

My attempt at potatoes in a bag:

Thoughts, advice, criticism and volunteer labor are always appreciated!
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 5:11:39 AM EDT
[#1]
Well I'm jealous for sure. OP sounds like your off to a great start. I've done both box gardens and row gardens. There's nothing better then walking down the rows and enjoying what you can produce. But it seems box gardens produce more per square foot and have less maintenance the row crops. (weeds seem tougher to get rid off) You might try both for a year or two and see what you prefer. Looks like you have plenty of space to add more if you like. I have a friend that did what your doing and also had the space to add some fruit/citrus trees around his garden. Plant what you'll eat the most of and get a good freezer. Also make sure you mix your compost and dirt well so the bed won't be too hot. Hope you enjoy your efforts soon.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 5:51:12 AM EDT
[#2]
Looking good! I'm curious to see how the taters come out.. we've been tossing the idea around of doing them in a 55g container.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 10:29:42 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Well I'm jealous for sure. OP sounds like your off to a great start. I've done both box gardens and row gardens. There's nothing better then walking down the rows and enjoying what you can produce. But it seems box gardens produce more per square foot and have less maintenance the row crops. (weeds seem tougher to get rid off) You might try both for a year or two and see what you prefer. Looks like you have plenty of space to add more if you like. I have a friend that did what your doing and also had the space to add some fruit/citrus trees around his garden. Plant what you'll eat the most of and get a good freezer. Also make sure you mix your compost and dirt well so the bed won't be too hot. Hope you enjoy your efforts soon.
View Quote

We eat a ton of apples and pears and it's an expense I can't wait to mitigate some!

I've got a couple hundred yards of treed fence line that I plan to clear out and replant with various fruiting trees eventually.

The tree line behind the tractor in the picture below actually - that huge beast oak is an anomaly, the remainder are various mixes and none much over 20 to 30'.

Thinking semi-dwarf stock in two staggered rows, partly to act as a visual screen as its along the property line.

I've also been researching the tall-spindle trellising method for apples and plan on carving out an area to play with that next year - as well as grapes.

In the meantime we do have a handful of 4 year old "Pink Lady" apple trees planted.

We have a fair amount of wild raspberry and blackberry already, but I plan on putting some in where I can hopefully defend them long enough to harvest.

I did make some progress on the 2nd box at lunch and ended up mixing that one about 60/40 compost to soil - the first box is probably 80/20, but I don't think this compost mix is very hot.  I also mixed in a few cubic feet of peat moss in each box.

Compost seems to be high in iron:

I really do like the fence netting - functional yet very convenient being able to drop it/move it/etc when needed... just not much to look at.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 10:33:29 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Looking good! I'm curious to see how the taters come out.. we've been tossing the idea around of doing them in a 55g container.
View Quote

I watched way too many videos of every conceivable method for potatoes!

I can't imagine the yield in a bag will be all that high, but it's cheap and easy and cheap so we'll see.

I'll have to check my notes but I think I used all Yukons in the bags.

I do have another dozen potatoes sprouted so I may try another method with them - leaning towards the "bottomless bucket" method.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 10:35:51 AM EDT
[#5]
More info on the fence, plz.

TRG
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 11:00:42 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
More info on the fence, plz.

TRG
View Quote

It's Premier1's "PoultryNet Plus", here

They have variations in every size and configuration imaginable.

The netting is similar to standard "electro-braid" type electric fence "wire".

The ones I use are 160' feet long and 12/42/3 (# horizontals/height "/vertical strut spacings ") - it's one of their tighter "weaves" and works well for the types of animals I use it around (chickens, sheep and occasionally my dogs).

The poles are Fiberglas rods with metal spikes - you can get single spikes (what I use) or double spiked (for stepping in).

Any decent low-impedance fence charger will work - I have had good luck with both Parmak's 6v solar and Zareba's battery powered B10LI models.

Setup/takedown really is dead-nuts simple.  When taking down you "gather the poles", letting the netting between fold on itself.  

Once you get the hang of it, setup/takedown takes about as long as walking the fence line twice - once to lay it and once stand/snug the poles.

If making sharp bends, I do put a Tpost in the corner and tie the poles off to it.

You can string together as many sets as you need, each end has a length of braid with a clip for attaching to another fence or charger.  You can also roll unused lengths up or double the extra back on itself.

They have some models in green now too, which would be a bit less ugly though does lessen the visual deterrent factor some.

ETA:

Here's a few more pics of the same type fencing - used here to section off a paddock for reseeding:

These boys respect it:

These girls do to, even though they could now easily jump it or run it down if they really wanted to:

Fence around the "garden" from ~ 120 yards away and another angle of the treeline I plan to redo as a mixed orchard row:

Link Posted: 4/23/2014 2:42:05 PM EDT
[#7]
Looks great! I really like the terrace look with your raised beds.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 2:52:50 PM EDT
[#8]
Tag. Looks great. I like the fencing as well.

I'll be following your progress. I'm doing a thread as well. I seem to be enjoying it thus far, lots of work to do... so little time.

Nice looking dogs too.
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 12:34:40 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Looks great! I really like the terrace look with your raised beds.
View Quote

Thanks!  Not too many other options here in hill country!
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 12:35:36 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

I'll be following your progress. I'm doing a thread as well. I seem to be enjoying it thus far, lots of work to do... so little time.

Nice looking dogs too.
View Quote

Wish I had thought ahead and started seeds inside like you did - next year!
Link Posted: 4/25/2014 1:11:24 PM EDT
[#11]
I like that you're raising meat dogs. Most people overlook them as a tasty alternative to raising expensive beef and lamb.
Link Posted: 4/25/2014 2:14:42 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I like that you're raising meat dogs. Most people overlook them as a tasty alternative to raising expensive beef and lamb.
View Quote

While I do enjoy kimchi, I haven't aquired a taste for dog... though I hear red dogs are supposedly tastier.
Link Posted: 4/26/2014 6:31:59 AM EDT
[#13]
Decided to put a third 4x8 box in.

Halfway done this morning and starting to layout the hoop trellis boxes.

Need to get another few yards of compost.

My grub patrol hard at work:

Link Posted: 4/26/2014 11:25:19 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 4/26/2014 12:26:31 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Nice looking dogs too.

Are you past the hard frost date?  If not grab some soil and put seeds in them. No time like the present. I tempted fait and put my tomato tender kings in the ground. Hoping the soil is warm enough to last the 30 degree night temps we have coming. I have one garden bed of your sized but I like the 3. Looks cool too.
Link Posted: 4/26/2014 2:13:16 PM EDT
[#16]
As I stated in my thread - I think I may add another 6" to my beds to make the height 12" like yours. Do you like that height or would you have preferred a shorter bed?  I guess it's not much more work to add a few 2x6's and pony up for a little more compost/soil mix, I guess the roots need more than 6" I suppose.

What are you planning on planting in the beds this year?
Link Posted: 4/27/2014 11:36:55 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Those boxes are an awesome way to get your feet wet with vegetable gardening. Your place looks great!
View Quote

Thanks... we're chipping away at the project list.

Link Posted: 4/27/2014 11:39:32 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Are you past the hard frost date?  If not grab some soil and put seeds in them. No time like the present. I tempted fait and put my tomato tender kings in the ground. Hoping the soil is warm enough to last the 30 degree night temps we have coming. I have one garden bed of your sized but I like the 3. Looks cool too.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Nice looking dogs too.

Yes,  frost dates passed and I've got a good stash of seeds, just debating what to direct sow vs pick up some seedlings to get a jump.
Link Posted: 4/27/2014 11:41:48 AM EDT
[#19]
I've got mole/vole problems in my city yard.  I put 3/8 OSB on the bottom of my boxes just to keep those little bastards out.  I'll be happy if I get three years out of the bottom of the box before I need to replace it.  I found some stuff called metal plaster lath I will try using then.  Are the critter runs active?  I tried poison gummy worms and they didn't seem to work, nor did our cold winter.  I guess the thing hibernated.  Can you leave the chickens out for a few days and put the dogs in there?  Maybe they will dig it out?
Link Posted: 4/27/2014 11:43:25 AM EDT
[#20]
3rd box in and nearly filled... started putting in the first of the two 2 footers:

Link Posted: 4/27/2014 3:20:31 PM EDT
[#21]
Thank you for the details on that fence.

Will look in to it.

TRG
Link Posted: 5/1/2014 9:56:10 AM EDT
[#22]
Been slow going with all the rain and storms, but the last box for the year is in.

Still need to fill it and top off the others, but "major construction" (AKA sloppy shovel work) is done.

I changed course a bit and won't be using the old hoop coop as a trellis - instead I'm going to arch one cattle panel between the two 2' beds giving me essentially two 4' beds with a 6.6' arching trellis.

I'm also planning on putting the tomatoes in the far left box with either cages or field fencing as a trellis.

More or less this:

Current state:

Potatoes are poking through - time to add more mulch:

Plan to have the beds finished and mostly planted this weekend.

I also have most of the bits to cobble up a drip system for the beds.
Link Posted: 5/2/2014 10:48:10 AM EDT
[#23]
Looks great. Saw in other thread where you mentioned scrapping the beds and using a tiller, why? Ease of convenience? The spot I have really isn't large enough to justify tilling. Joys of Gardening worth the read?
Link Posted: 5/2/2014 11:03:40 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Looks great. Saw in other thread where you mentioned scrapping the beds and using a tiller, why? Ease of convenience? The spot I have really isn't large enough to justify tilling. Joys of Gardening worth the read?
View Quote

Yes, the book is worth the read.

I'll give it a season or three to decide if I stay with the boxes or go to an open bed.

I did boxes a few years ago strictly by the SFG method - closed bottoms, Mel's mix, etc - and had decent success... but there were a few things I didn't like:

- bed depth too short with the "sealed" bottoms - had problems w/carrots and corn
- sealed bottoms didn't stay sealed all that long when tree roots etc found the soil above attractive
- felt constrained - if I wanted one more row, or even one more foot - it was a whole 'nother box or nothing.
- i tend to overplant and under-thin and they always looked like a green plant bomb went off

I also have a lot more room and equipment now than I did then, plus two more mouths to feed plus a menagerie of animals I'd like to cut feed costs on too - so being able to scale up is attractive.

I went with boxes now because (1) I'm familiar with them (2) short on time and money (3) didn't think I had/have the time or talent yet to manage a "large" ground plot adequately.

The book makes #2 and #3 seem like less of an issue.

There is actually a fair amount of concept overlap between SFG and "wide row" gardening.
Link Posted: 5/2/2014 4:44:12 PM EDT
[#25]
I wish we had the space for a traditional in ground garden. Between sun light needs and physical space I think a raised bed will be the best option for now. Going to get Joys of Gardening to read for the weekend. Really only looking at tomatoes, beans, peppers, cucumber, etc for the garden. Sweetcorn overruns us in the summer so no need to plant it.
Link Posted: 5/2/2014 8:40:58 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

I went with boxes now because (1) I'm familiar with them (2) short on time and money (3) didn't think I had/have the time or talent yet to manage a "large" ground plot adequately.

The book makes #2 and #3 seem like less of an issue.

There is actually a fair amount of concept overlap between SFG and "wide row" gardening.
View Quote

Ayup.  

1. Proper soil chemistry.
2. Extreme crop density.
3. Non-competitive neighboring/adjacent crops
4. Mutually beneficial weed crowding/control
5. Easy button...

TRG
Link Posted: 5/2/2014 10:31:15 PM EDT
[#27]
Are you running the solar charger sold by Premier? I got the B20 with the solar panel and it is really weak. Won't keep my chickens in.
Ridgebacks?? I didn't think anyone this side of the Atlantic knew what they were? I'm looking at getting Boerboel pups in the next year or so (related to Ridgebacks).
What sheep are you running? I don't want to deal with wool, so I'm planning on getting a few white head Dorpers.

The boxes look great. I had not thought about terracing them, so I'm limited to using the level space I have, which is not much. As far as potatoes go...there are a million ways to plant them. Good luck!
Link Posted: 5/5/2014 7:08:56 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Are you running the solar charger sold by Premier? I got the B20 with the solar panel and it is really weak. Won't keep my chickens in.
Ridgebacks?? I didn't think anyone this side of the Atlantic knew what they were? I'm looking at getting Boerboel pups in the next year or so (related to Ridgebacks).
What sheep are you running? I don't want to deal with wool, so I'm planning on getting a few white head Dorpers.

The boxes look great. I had not thought about terracing them, so I'm limited to using the level space I have, which is not much. As far as potatoes go...there are a million ways to plant them. Good luck!
View Quote

No, I have a couple different ones I use but the only "free standing" solar model is Parmak's 6 Pak which I've been pretty happy with.

Chickens don't respect the fence for the shock value anyway - feathers don't conduct well and they aren't well grounded half the time so it's more of a physical/mental barrier for them.

Some of the roosters will occasionally jump the fence but they usually jump back in to roost or hang around and wait for me to throw them back over.  I am using the shorter (42") version because it's easy for me to step over and tall enough to keep my sheep in.

The pups are indeed Ridgebacks - it's our favorite breed and we've been keeping them for a while.  They have a small but strong following around here - we even have a couple top breeders close by.  We plan on breeding one of these girls next year and build up a decent size pack.

I've never seen a Boerboel in person - but an awesome looking animal for sure.  

Our sheep are Southdowns, also called Olde English Babydolls.  While not miniatures, they are a smaller but well proportioned multi-use breed.  They used to be the main line raised in England before refrigeration became common place and larger bodied meat animals become more marketable.  They are very docile and rarely challenge fencing.

Don't let the wool put you off to a breed though - if you can find a professional shearer their rates tend to be surprisingly low.  I pay ~$5/head locally.
Link Posted: 5/5/2014 7:12:02 AM EDT
[#29]
Called in the work crew to help wrap things up over the weekend:

Have two of the boxes planted - I seem to be suffering from "analysis paralysis" in regards to what to plant where.  I'll probably fume the rest of the day on it then just go plant random packets of seed and call it good.

Link Posted: 5/5/2014 10:23:21 AM EDT
[#30]
I have a few chickens that jump the fence. I also wait for them to roost and then go pick them up and toss them over. I saw a chicken squeeze through the bottom row a few days ago and she didn't get zapped at all...and it took her a minute to get through!

The Ridgebacks look fantastic. I remember running into them on farms quite a bit, but not as often as Boerboels. I had BB's off and on. Great dogs with a very easy temperament...almost lazy!

Ah the sheep. I don't know if we have anyone that does shearing in my area. Either way, I'm after the meat. Your sheep do look great though. What's wool going for these days? Is it still a worthwhile endeavor?
Link Posted: 5/7/2014 11:53:26 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
I have a few chickens that jump the fence. I also wait for them to roost and then go pick them up and toss them over. I saw a chicken squeeze through the bottom row a few days ago and she didn't get zapped at all...and it took her a minute to get through!

The Ridgebacks look fantastic. I remember running into them on farms quite a bit, but not as often as Boerboels. I had BB's off and on. Great dogs with a very easy temperament...almost lazy!

Ah the sheep. I don't know if we have anyone that does shearing in my area. Either way, I'm after the meat. Your sheep do look great though. What's wool going for these days? Is it still a worthwhile endeavor?
View Quote

Re: shearing.  I'm sure there is a pro or three covering you area.  The gentleman I use works 3 states and basically lives on the road during shearing season.  Find someone with a decent size flock within 100 miles and I bet you'll get a few contacts.

As for wool - it's hard to give it away.  You might make a few bucks if you shop it at the yarn/spinning fairs and similar events or take time to market it towards that niche crowd, but in general there isn't much of a market for small volume production.

The RRs transform from high energy devil dogs to lazy hounds around age 5 or so usually... looking forward to it!
Link Posted: 5/7/2014 11:55:32 AM EDT
[#32]
Most of the planting is done - this is more or less where I'm at:

Click for higher-res / plant list
Link Posted: 5/27/2014 6:46:57 PM EDT
[#33]
It's been about three weeks since I did most of the planting.

Weather had been very erratic... initially temps were near 80, then dropped for 3 nights with frost warnings and now back in the 80s.  Has also been very wet.

Results so far are mixed but not horrible.  Worst is one of the two foot wide beds seems to hold too much water... I may need to increase its height to improve drainage.  I'm also behind on weeding and thinning but starting to catch up now.

Still undecided on what if anything to do as ground cover between boxes.  I'm not a fan of mulch.  Trying to think of something that can handle being walked on that would also improve the soil and could be tilled under should I ever yank the boxes.

This is the bed that I think stays too wet.  None of the egg plant varieties sprouted and even the cuke and squash did so poorly and most developed yellow leaves.  I planted a few pepper varieties from the nursery and will see if they fare any better.  This is also the bed with the least amount of compost added so I don't think the problem was the soil being too hot.

Don't turn your back on the bagged potatoes. .. they grow like weeds!

Tomato box is doing well, several varieties.  Ignore that cluster of small plants in the right corner... I overbought a variety and stuck em in the bed there until I can figure where to move them to.

The swiss chard in the near row finally came up a week late.  Nearly gave up on it.  Other plantings doing pretty well minus the beetle invasion.

Maybe a little heavy handed with the carrot seeding!  They always surprise me how well they take.

What is it and how do I kill it?

Link Posted: 5/28/2014 6:16:28 AM EDT
[#34]
A leaf boring/eating bug is best killed with a topical poison.  Sevin liquid is the first thing to try.

TRG
Link Posted: 5/28/2014 5:59:48 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
A leaf boring/eating bug is best killed with a topical poison.  Sevin liquid is the first thing to try.

TRG
View Quote

Thanks - picked up some today... and scored 2 free cattle panels while I was there.  They were dented a bit but will work great for use as a trellis.
Link Posted: 6/3/2014 12:46:00 PM EDT
[#36]
Turns out those beetles are called "flea beetles"... so named for their size and tendency to jump like their namesake when disturbed.

Didn't encounter them much in my garden in VA, but they are prevalent here and voracious despite their tiny size.

Reading up on them says they are usually at their worst in the early spring - and pose the most risk when plants are at the seedling stage as they can outpace the plant's growth with their consumption.

I can attest to that, since everything I planted was late and hitting seedling stage right about when the beetles arrived.

They decimated my broccoli and kale, taking many down to nearly the stem in short order.

The bok choy, collard, radish (red and icicle), mustard and green lettuce varieties in my (mesculin) mixed salad greens all look like they were hit with birdshot.

Surprisingly, these others weren't touched at all despite growing interspersed or adjacent the plants getting destroyed:
- red leaf lettuce in the mesculin mix
- black seeded leaf lettuce
- all of the couple varieties of chard I'm trying

The beetles can also cause damage on tomato, pepper, potato, etc - though normally only to the bottom few leaf sets and not to a detrimental degree if the plants are otherwise vigorous.

I mixed up some liquid sevin and had planned to only treat the broccoli (though likely already a lost cause) since I didn't want pesticides on the leaf lettuce.

Was literally pumping up the sprayer when I noticed three honey bees on the broccoli stubs... which surprised me because nothing in the bed is even close to flowering.

Regardless... i didn't spray, as Sevin does a number on bees and I've got more time and energy in my bee hives than in the garden.

Instead, I tried dusting with some DE I had on hand that I use to worm the chickens.  No idea if it will have any effect on the flea beetles but we'll see.

I culled the squares of bok choy and some of the radishes to make room for some other transplants that might fare better - but in hindsight I'm wondering if it would have been smarter to leave them in place as sacrificial plantings.  With their preferred munchies gone I may find they move on to some of my other plantings they've so far left largely alone.

Link Posted: 6/3/2014 1:36:33 PM EDT
[#37]
Some pics

Untouched "black seeded lettuce"

Untouched red in the mesculin:

Sad broccoli and raddish:

Link Posted: 6/3/2014 1:48:35 PM EDT
[#38]
Dayumn.

TRG
Link Posted: 6/3/2014 2:50:15 PM EDT
[#39]
Is the white spots the damage or insecticide?
Link Posted: 6/3/2014 2:52:52 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
View Quote

White spots on the ground under them plants.  Dem bugs eatin' mulch too?!?!

TRG
Link Posted: 6/3/2014 2:57:07 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

TRG
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

TRG

I'm an idiot.
Link Posted: 6/3/2014 4:26:18 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

I'm an idiot.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

TRG

I'm an idiot.

Lol.

The diatemaceous earth clumped a bit.

Glad I planted a little bit of everything... cause a lot of what I like best got nailed hard.  But this is very much a learning year anyway.
Link Posted: 6/3/2014 5:00:32 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Lol.

Glad I planted a little bit of everything... cause a lot of what I like best got nailed hard.  But this is very much a learning year anyway.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

TRG

I'm an idiot.

Lol.

I really...really...don't think a liquid Sevin spray on your leaves would affect your bees.  

Many of those things that are damaged do not have flowers in the first place.  Lettuce, for instance, does not flower until it is finished producing and will not even draw a bee in for a siesta.

Get pro-active with that leaf spraying and don't over think the bee issue.

TRG
Link Posted: 6/3/2014 5:02:59 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Dayumn.
View Quote

what our east txn said

looks like my tomato plants a couple weeks back.  i fixed their red wagon.
Link Posted: 6/3/2014 9:23:57 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

I really...really...don't think a liquid Sevin spray on your leaves would affect your bees.  

Many of those things that are damaged do not have flowers in the first place.  Lettuce, for instance, does not flower until it is finished producing and will not even draw a bee in for a siesta.

TRG
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

TRG

I'm an idiot.

Lol.

TRG

Over thinking is like my hobby.  

I hit up some of the bee forums and the consensus was (begrudgingly) to use liquid Sevin sparingly on non-blooming plants  - applied at sunset.

Once dried, the liquid has less risk of being carried back to the hive and causing a major kill compared to the powder.

I was surprised to find bees on the broccoli when I went to spray today given that they aren't blooming... having thought about it more since, they may have been attracted to the garden for the water as the sprinkler had run shortly before I went out and the plants were still wet.   A few days ago I found the bees had been using one of my sheep's leaking troughs as a water source - but since i fixed the leak they may have found the garden a convenient source.

I'll see if the DE had any real effect and if not I'll give Sevin a go.

If the bee's get wiped out, don't be surprised if you pull the covers back one night and find a decapitated bee's head glaring back at you...
Link Posted: 6/4/2014 4:48:40 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

If the bee's get wiped out, don't be surprised if you pull the covers back one night and find a decapitated bee's head glaring back at you...
View Quote

TRG
Link Posted: 6/4/2014 6:59:51 AM EDT
[#47]
Well - safe to say DE does jack with flea beetles.

Will be spraying as soon as weather permits.
Link Posted: 6/4/2014 7:10:42 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View Quote

Looks like you have more options than just Sevin (Carabryl)

http://www.extension.umn.edu/garden/insects/find/flea-beetles/

TRG
Link Posted: 6/4/2014 7:47:33 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

TRG
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

TRG

Interesting, thanks.

The short active duration of Pyrethrin looks promising - Amazon next-day delivery to the rescue.
Link Posted: 6/4/2014 9:40:36 AM EDT
[#50]
Minor redirection of efforts today... set up a small enclosure for the three ewe lambs we're picking up Saturday.

Kids are excited... and I'm a fan of the little lawnmowers as well.  These girls will round out the rams I got last year as our initial breeding stock.

They won't be in the "back yard" long, but we wanted them well socialized before moving them and well away from the boys.

Hoop hut is a redeployment of the one I made for the ram lambs last year...they have an open faced hut now.

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top