Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/21/2014 5:33:20 PM EDT
We have a bunch around our house.  My daughter (4) and I uncovered a nest when removing the straw layer from our garlic patch.  Two out of for little one ran away, but we "rescued" one.  I hope the human scent didn't make the mother abandon them.  

Today, my daughter wanted to pet one, so she went and uncovered the nest again.  There were only two left, and both ran away. We were able to "rescue" one again, but she feels pretty bad about spooking them.  We covered the lone survivor up with straw and put some parsley near the nest in case he's eating solids.  He's about 5-6" long.  

I don't want my daughter to feel even worse if the last one croaks where he is.  If I bring him in a box, will he survive on vegetables or cow milk?  The mother is supposed to feed them every night, but again, she may be spooked by our scent.
Link Posted: 4/21/2014 5:58:39 PM EDT
[#1]
Cover the nest with thin thread and surround the nest with some type of powder.

Check it the next day to see if the mother came back
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 4:42:07 AM EDT
[#2]
Please do not bring it inside.  Put it back and cover it up again.  Leave a carrot for mom.

Although it's Spring and not as likely to carry disease yet there are transmittable diseases in rabbits that can kill your small child.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 10:37:36 AM EDT
[#3]
5-6 inches long with fur on them and eyes open?

They will live and the other ones are likely living outside the nest.

Leave it be.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top