Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 8
Link Posted: 10/9/2016 8:16:18 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I put up one of those Tractor Supply gates across the back entrance to my property this spring.  I did use round poles though, mainly because they were cheaper than a 6x6.  Holding up really well so far.

Hard to believe TRG hasn't logged in for nearly a year.

I may need you to head this way with that tractor and chainsaw.  After all that shopping I was doing I never bought one............

We are hunkered down waiting for Matthew to hit.  Looks like it's going to get pretty close to us.  Generator is ready and fuel cans are staged.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks Buddy, in case you are wondering the gate has held up well for the last two years.

Way back in this thread TRG questioned if I should have used a round pole instead of a square post.  I had the same concern afterward, but it has held up well and I have not had to make any adjustments yet.

I put up one of those Tractor Supply gates across the back entrance to my property this spring.  I did use round poles though, mainly because they were cheaper than a 6x6.  Holding up really well so far.

Hard to believe TRG hasn't logged in for nearly a year.

I may need you to head this way with that tractor and chainsaw.  After all that shopping I was doing I never bought one............

We are hunkered down waiting for Matthew to hit.  Looks like it's going to get pretty close to us.  Generator is ready and fuel cans are staged.

Well, how is it? I hope you are unscathed.
Link Posted: 10/9/2016 10:40:34 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

Well, how is it? I hope you are unscathed.

View Quote

We got about 9 inches of rain here locally, but Fayetteville got over 16"!  That's only a couple of hours from us.

We lost power briefly overnight but it was back on by time we got up.  Lots of leaves and small limbs down in the yard but nothing too major, thank the Lord.

Our biggest problem is that all the rainfall in the area is expected to produce historic levels of flooding.  Hurricane Floyd set the benchmark here in 1999, but this is predicted to beat that.

We are safe and dry, and the bride is making gumbo.  It doesn't get much better than that!  

Link Posted: 11/6/2016 9:39:43 AM EDT
[#3]
Any updates?
Link Posted: 11/6/2016 11:33:27 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Any updates?
View Quote

Nothing significant.  Well, unless you count the crazy stuff that happens when me and some buddies get together.

Last weekend we met up in the mountains for a round of golf.  One dude tried to retrieve a  ball that was resting on the dried crust of a bog.  I told him not to go in there

I had to sprint across the green and gingerly reach out to him with a sand wedge to pull his dumb ass out.  He was in above his knees and sinking.

Anyway after that, we cracked a beer:

Then boom

thats the most exciting thing to happen lately.  other than that, its been kinda quiet.
Link Posted: 11/6/2016 1:28:19 PM EDT
[#5]
Nice!
Link Posted: 11/6/2016 4:52:38 PM EDT
[#6]
That club car burnt down to the rims.  It was quite impressive.
Link Posted: 11/6/2016 8:20:44 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

That club car burnt down to the rims.  It was quite impressive.
View Quote

did it have one of those Samsung phones in it?  LOL

Link Posted: 12/10/2016 8:30:36 PM EDT
[#8]
That cat turned out pretty nice...  it's a big one.

Link Posted: 12/10/2016 10:16:21 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
That cat turned out pretty nice...  it's a big one.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/99571/IMG-0535-104704.PNG
View Quote

great job!
Link Posted: 12/11/2016 7:26:04 AM EDT
[#10]
boy that was a big one!  That mount came out great.
Link Posted: 4/8/2017 6:52:55 PM EDT
[#11]
Today I was getting ready for planting and I put out 3000lbs of pelletized lime and 1000 lbs of triple fifteen.

I limed earlier this year but I need more so I will put down around 3 tons this fall.

That old spreader I fixed earlier in the thread worked like a charm.

Then I went and bought 8 tons of rock.  My sorry trailer will only safely transport 7k lbs, so I have to make two trips.  This will be for the wife's flower beds we are putting in.

Link Posted: 4/17/2017 5:06:14 AM EDT
[#12]
Bump for AAR of flower bed overhaul.
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 12:17:39 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 9:03:28 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Bump for AAR of flower bed overhaul.
View Quote
Well,

The ground is dead as hell where I round upped the weeds.

Don't worry, I'll manage to screw this up too. It's like a 2k sqft bed

I did lay 3k lbs of flagstone to lead into the stairs. (It was just dirt before). Looks weird as I need more gravel to border it (and in need to add more sand as its compacting down) and the beds will frame it once completed.

Link Posted: 4/22/2017 7:02:22 PM EDT
[#15]
It's been a monsoon today, but I did manage to get plants/trees and mulch.  The wife picked out a weeping Norway spruce which is a very ugly tree.

Twelve scoops of mulch fit on this load.  I hope it's enough. (that's a 16ft trailer with 2ft dovetail and 24" sides)

Link Posted: 4/22/2017 7:16:15 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
It's been a monsoon today, but I did manage to get plants/trees and mulch.  The wife picked out a weeping Norway spruce which is a very ugly tree.

Twelve scoops of mulch fit on this load.  I hope it's enough. (that's a 16ft trailer with 2ft dovetail and 24" sides)

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/99571/IMG-0663-193045.jpg
View Quote
How much is a yard of mulch up there?  Been pricing it locally and it's cheaper to buy it bagged at Walmart 
Link Posted: 4/22/2017 7:30:52 PM EDT
[#17]
I paid 20 bucks a scoop.

That's a heaping bucketful from a NH tractor with an 84" bucket.

Not very scientific
Link Posted: 4/22/2017 11:36:22 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 6:42:01 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

It's cheaper by the bag at Walmart here, too.

I hate that, but it just is.
View Quote
Interesting.  We are about to put some out as well.  Will have to price check Wal-Mart and Lowe's.  I would have assumed it would be cheaper in bulk.
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 1:54:20 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Interesting.  We are about to put some out as well.  Will have to price check Wal-Mart and Lowe's.  I would have assumed it would be cheaper in bulk.
View Quote
$38/yd3 in bulk and $27/yd3 in bags here
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 1:54:57 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I paid 20 bucks a scoop.

That's a heaping bucketful from a NH tractor with an 84" bucket.

Not very scientific
View Quote
Very scientific . Bulk can be a lot easier to handle
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 4:02:21 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Very scientific . Bulk can be a lot easier to handle
View Quote
Yup, I just drive my tractor up there and scoop it out.  I LOL at shovels when dealing with mulch.
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 5:12:45 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 5:46:04 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

I use pitchforks. If it's wet at all, I really struggle with scoop shovels and mulch.
View Quote
oh heck naw. that trailer will be unloaded in about 15 minutes doing it my way.
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 9:56:19 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 4/26/2017 9:06:26 PM EDT
[#26]
Ok, no pics cause I got a soup sandwich on my hands.

I have all the plants planted, but only half the mulch is out.  . I still have to set the rock for the smaller bed, it's still in a pile.

I just had 22 tons of 1/2" gravel hauled out. I had him spread and run about 10 tons, and I have the other 24k lbs in 3 piles that I will do with my tractor.

I hope to be done by this weekend, so I can plant the garden.

If not I may just put some tomatoes in pots and call it a year.  Gotta break some eggs to make an omelette, right?
Link Posted: 4/26/2017 9:11:24 PM EDT
[#27]
I also picked up the rubber gravel sweeper thing that goes on the head of my stihl weed eater.  I was able to sweep all the gravel out of the grass on a 1k foot driveway in about an hour.  

It was faster than a stiff rake by far but it is a wild ride.  You better hang on when you fire that up.
Link Posted: 4/30/2017 7:16:37 PM EDT
[#28]
Remember that ugly tree I was talking about?

It reminds me of that dude on fat Albert.

Link Posted: 4/30/2017 7:39:48 PM EDT
[#29]
here is a shot of the bed(s).  That gravel is packed down about 8-10 inches to level it off.  It worked out pretty well and is very compact.
I have to sod or plant some seed where I ruined the grass.

Here is a shot of the big bed. It looks empty, due to the immature plants (its a big frickin bed). I will be planting more as I am too impatient to wait for them to grow.  See that stump? I am going to redneck it up and we will place a large planter on it.  If it looks dumb, then I will grind it next winter.  My yard was trashed in the process, those dead spots in front of the bed, are from where the rock lay for almost a month.  

Before we did this, it was dirt all the way across the front of the house and the stairs. Nothing grew there. Its not great, but its a lot better than what I had before.
Link Posted: 4/30/2017 7:49:10 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 4/30/2017 8:06:58 PM EDT
[#31]
lol, kitties there you go making sense again.

I do like picking on my wife for that tree though.

I planted three of these things too around that stump.  Trouble is they are only like ten inches in diameter but they will turn out like this:

Link Posted: 4/30/2017 8:39:58 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 5/1/2017 5:27:41 AM EDT
[#33]
Looking good!

We actually had a landscaping crew come by this weekend to give us a quote on just doing a turnkey refresh of all the beds in our yard.  Once I looked at the job a bit and appreciated the scope of it, I realized that my L4/L5 fusion wouldn't appreciate all the labor involved. 

On that stump, go get yourself a ship auger drill bit and drill a bunch of holes in it.  That will help it rot away a lot faster and may keep you from having to get it ground.

BTW, our azaleas are looking much better this spring.  I fertilized them pretty hard with a product called "Holly-Tone".  So far none of the leaf discoloration has returned. Hopefully they will come back and flourish because we really like them.
Link Posted: 5/2/2017 10:53:15 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Those are amazing.  I would not want to fall on them, but they can be really beautiful.

I hope you have enough sunlight in your location to support the spread and the color.     I seem to remember you have an awful lot of trees around you.

Choose the sunniest spot you can.
View Quote
That tree where the stump is made shade, I had to cut it last year.  It was a poplar with a 50" base.  Now it gets good sun in that area.  I think it will work out.
Link Posted: 5/2/2017 11:01:55 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 5/2/2017 11:02:35 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Looking good!

We actually had a landscaping crew come by this weekend to give us a quote on just doing a turnkey refresh of all the beds in our yard.  Once I looked at the job a bit and appreciated the scope of it, I realized that my L4/L5 fusion wouldn't appreciate all the labor involved. 

On that stump, go get yourself a ship auger drill bit and drill a bunch of holes in it.  That will help it rot away a lot faster and may keep you from having to get it ground.

BTW, our azaleas are looking much better this spring.  I fertilized them pretty hard with a product called "Holly-Tone".  So far none of the leaf discoloration has returned. Hopefully they will come back and flourish because we really like them.
View Quote
There is no way I would have wanted to pay someone for this.

Rough cost on materials:

Rock- 600 bucks
Mulch - 220 bucks
Plants - 700 bucks

Plus miscellaneous fertilizer and stuff.  Someone would have doubled the cost of things plus labor.  This project may have cost 3-5 grand.

It may have looked better if someone else did it though.

As for the back breaking work...  after I killed all the weeds in the dirt patch, I sent my wife out with a can of white spray paint.  She painted an x on the ground where she wanted things.  I then just backed up with my auger on the tractor and whammo! I had all the holes dug in 20 minutes
Link Posted: 5/2/2017 11:04:16 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Aww, what a shame to lose a big poplar like that.

But...sounds like you've got a great spot, and there will be good drainage there since it's on a slope.
View Quote
Yes, it had rot and was dropping widow makers.  It also was only 5 steps from the house. Unfortunately it had to go.
Link Posted: 5/3/2017 12:15:40 AM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 5/4/2017 6:16:58 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Yeah, but half of that was the Gandalf Tree, I'm guessing.
View Quote
I think it was 180 dollars. I was surprised for sure.  The other stuff just nickel and dimed me to death.  It's nuts how expensive plants are.
Link Posted: 5/4/2017 12:04:51 PM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 5/20/2017 8:08:59 PM EDT
[#41]
Was out at the duck blind moving trees we cut.

Got some good grapple time in.

Link Posted: 5/20/2017 8:10:39 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Was out at the duck blind moving trees we cut.

Got some good grapple time in.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/99571/IMG-0678-212775.jpg
View Quote
Nice!  Who made the grapple?  Wanting to pick one up for the 2032R and looking hard at the Artillian.
Link Posted: 5/20/2017 8:14:53 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Nice!  Who made the grapple?  Wanting to pick one up for the 2032R and looking hard at the Artillian.
View Quote
I looked at EA but I was not paying 1500+ for a grapple for a 38hp tractor.  Mine is a no name that I picked up in Huntsville Alabama as I was passing through one time.  It cost me 600 bucks I think.  My machine does not have the power to tear it up.  It's a double lid but I would go back and do a single one if I had it to do over.
Link Posted: 5/20/2017 8:16:19 PM EDT
[#44]
Edit, I may have paid 800 for it.
Link Posted: 5/20/2017 8:21:29 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
I looked at EA but I was not paying 1500+ for a grapple for a 38hp tractor.  Mine is a no name that I picked up in Huntsville Alabama as I was passing through one time.  It cost me 600 bucks I think.  My machine does not have the power to tear it up.  It's a double lid but I would go back and do a single one if I had it to do over.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not bad.  I'm trying to find one that's a light as possible so I don't cut into the loader capacity too much.
Link Posted: 6/5/2017 10:41:41 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View Quote
Place next to the interstate?  I've always eyed it when I have court up there.
Link Posted: 6/6/2017 9:50:35 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Place next to the interstate?  I've always eyed it when I have court up there.
View Quote
Not sure. This place was over by a ball field if I remember correctly.
Link Posted: 7/1/2017 6:38:43 PM EDT
[#48]
Just used my new mower for its inaugural cutting of the grass.

It's nice to have a 4wd mower with the hills I have.

ETA, dang Photobucket killed all my links...

Link Posted: 7/1/2017 8:16:30 PM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 7/1/2017 10:28:59 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Just used my new mower for its inaugural cutting of the grass.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/99571/CBF58E38-2666-43C6-BB4E-786C5467B17F-241072.jpg

It's nice to have a 4wd mower with the hills I have.

ETA, dang Photobucket killed all my links...

View Quote
Nice mower!  Now it just needs a loader and a backhoe 

Photobucket sucks.  I just upload directly to here now, although I typically have to e mail them to myself to get the file size down on my iPotato
Page / 8
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top