BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 8
Link Posted: 5/10/2016 10:48:03 PM EDT
[#1]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Yes, It is not nearly as immaculate as last year with staked rows etc.  It is definitely more 'hodge podge'

I actually went out today as I found some squash seeds from 2 years ago in the deep freezer.  I don't know if they will germinate, but I dropped in about 20 more mounds around the perimeter of the garden

I also made a surprise deposit in the wife's rose bed and in the circular flower bed that my drive goes around.  Hey I like yellow flowers, what can I say
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Well,

no pics or anything exciting like that but the garden is finally fully in.

Condensed it down due to my sons impending arrival (less than 3 weeks).  

I planted 16 better boys, 8 varieties of cherry tomato, 4 jalepeno', 8 banana pepper, and 12 bell peppers.  I also planted about 5 pods of cuke, 8 zuke, and 16 squash.  These are not all coming up from seed, I have about 2/3 of these out of the ground.

I also put in 7 rows of corn for the heck of it, and 5 smaller rows of beans.

today my FIL shows up with 19 of the BIG tomato plants he got for free.  These things already have flowers on them and are over 2 ft tall.  I put them in too

The corn and beans are out of the ground and looking ok this early, but my pepper plants were so small, it will be awhile on those.
Pretty big garden.  You'll love it for "me time".  

Yes, It is not nearly as immaculate as last year with staked rows etc.  It is definitely more 'hodge podge'

I actually went out today as I found some squash seeds from 2 years ago in the deep freezer.  I don't know if they will germinate, but I dropped in about 20 more mounds around the perimeter of the garden

I also made a surprise deposit in the wife's rose bed and in the circular flower bed that my drive goes around.  Hey I like yellow flowers, what can I say
I'm sure she will be forever greatful for that.  Mine is thrilled about the corn in the planters.

Y'all do a lot of canning and freezing with all those veggies?
Link Posted: 5/16/2016 9:48:23 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Y'all do a lot of canning and freezing with all those veggies?
View Quote

I do put it up, but this year will be a challenge.  T minus 11 days until we induce unless he decides to come sooner

Here is a pic of the smaller garden.  I have 3 16ft panels of tomatoes on the rear of the garden.  I have cukes to the left growing up the fence, and squash to the right of that.  I then have 24 pepper plants of various species in the middle of the garden.  They are small plants so they are hard to see right now.

Here is the bigger garden with corn and beans and more squash and more tomatoes (those big plants I mentioned I got for free)
Link Posted: 5/16/2016 9:50:22 PM EDT
[#3]
I also caught this guy on the game cam.  I have lost 6 or 7 birds free ranging until I put them up in a fenced enclosure adjoining the coop.

I am about to drink his milkshake

Link Posted: 5/16/2016 10:07:22 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

I also caught this guy on the game cam.  I have lost 6 or 7 birds free ranging until I put them up in a fenced enclosure adjoining the coop.

I am about to drink his milkshake

http://i109.photobucket.com/albums/n45/trip157/babcat1_zpsobqeopx7.jpg
View Quote
He just wants to cuddle.  
Link Posted: 5/20/2016 6:29:45 PM EDT
[#5]
It's been busy so I haven't had a chance to go after the cat, but dug out my predator call and spinning furry decoy.  Tomorrow is a full moon so the nods and can will be used.

I finally got around to converting my bush hog to a slip clutch setup, I was an idiot for buying a shear pin model.  I really don't know what I was thinking.

This slip clutch was sixty something dollars on eBay and tractor supply wanted 189 for theirs.  

Link Posted: 5/20/2016 10:48:36 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 5/20/2016 11:07:56 PM EDT
[#7]
sorry kitties, i am on my own with this one.  as a side note, i have a big predator problem currently.

Link Posted: 5/21/2016 1:03:40 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 5/23/2016 8:31:56 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 5/23/2016 8:43:28 PM EDT
[#11]
I also side dressed the corn.  I didn't have any blood meal or urea, so I just hit it with 10-10-10.

I did the tomatoes and squash/cucumber as well.  Here is a pic of what it looked like Sunday. I hope the triple10 will be effective on the corn, its just not as high in Nitrogen.

Link Posted: 5/23/2016 8:52:49 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

I didn't have any  urea

View Quote

just piss on it, lol

Link Posted: 5/23/2016 8:58:50 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

just piss on it, lol

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I didn't have any  urea

just piss on it, lol

Link Posted: 5/27/2016 4:40:01 PM EDT
[#14]
Been busy today, may I present HKH IV

Link Posted: 5/27/2016 5:57:58 PM EDT
[#15]
Congratulations!  Bringing a newborn home it is the best feeling in the word!  
Link Posted: 5/27/2016 7:37:21 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Been busy today, may I present HKH IV
View Quote

Congrats brother!!!!!

and as soon as he gets a little bigger, you can "hook him up to a plow"!!  

Link Posted: 5/27/2016 10:57:20 PM EDT
[#17]
Congrats!
Link Posted: 5/28/2016 1:52:38 AM EDT
[#18]
congrats!
Link Posted: 5/28/2016 10:07:27 AM EDT
[#19]
congrats I got one on the way. we planted a garden full of stuff that we can use for babyfood
Link Posted: 5/28/2016 1:42:42 PM EDT
[#20]
Congrats!

Link Posted: 5/29/2016 7:21:29 PM EDT
[#21]
Thanks guys, we are blessed to have two healthy children.

We made it home from the hospital today, and all is well with both mom and my boy.
Link Posted: 6/3/2016 12:39:13 AM EDT
[#22]
I haven't been on here in forever, but your thread was one of the first I happened to open up, and I have to offer my congratulations!
Link Posted: 6/3/2016 7:31:22 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I haven't been on here in forever, but your thread was one of the first I happened to open up, and I have to offer my congratulations!
View Quote

Thanks man!

I do have a question for the group.

We had a hard rain and some of my corn is laying down.  Since I just can't seem, to grow corn will it stand back up on its own?
Link Posted: 6/3/2016 8:49:02 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

will it stand back up on its own?
View Quote

it might.  but then again, it might not.  

Link Posted: 6/3/2016 11:44:00 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
Thanks man!

We had a hard rain and some of my corn is laying down.  Since I just can't seem, to grow corn will it stand back up on its own?
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Thanks man!

I've done it 3 times this year.  Walmart sells 6 foot plastic coated steel stakes for 2.63 each.  I'm up to 20 or so now
Link Posted: 6/4/2016 6:52:00 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I've done it 3 times this year.  Walmart sells 6 foot plastic coated steel stakes for 2.63 each.  I'm up to 20 or so now
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks man!

So if I don't stake it, it will stay down?  It won't stand back up at around thigh high stage?

If that's the case, I may fail again with corn.   I will drive down to Huntsville and steal an ear or 5 of kenmack's from his front yard.
Link Posted: 6/4/2016 9:28:46 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
So if I don't stake it, it will stay down?  It won't stand back up at around thigh high stage?

If that's the case, I may fail again with corn.   I will drive down to Huntsville and steal an ear or 5 of kenmack's from his front yard.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Thanks man!

Mine wouldn't. I didn't give it much time though.  It very well might have if I wasn't so impatient.

Strange thing about mine is I've had much more trouble with my corn in the garden than the corn in the flower pots.  

Link Posted: 6/4/2016 11:46:57 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Thanks man!

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks man!

Congrats on the new addition to the family  Handsome fella!

I've seen corn stand up in the past, it took about a week.   Hopefully you'll get a break from the wind so it isn't permanently damaged.
Link Posted: 6/11/2016 3:35:38 PM EDT
[#29]
Hey guys, corn is standing back up

Except for the few that i accidentally got with my tiller... oh well.

I'll get a pic up later I hope of the progress as the corn is getting fairly tall, tomatoes are putting out yet still green, the beans are getting ready to break loose and the squash/zuke/cuke are all flowering.

Since I eliminated that cat from my property, I have been getting lots of 'yote pics and something else I cannot identify.  Perhaps you can tell me what this is? On the right at the base of the fence post.

Yote

And I found this on top of my quail brooder box this morning

I didn't kill him, as I want to control the mice in the woods so I just relocated him I took him up to show the daughter before I released him.  
Link Posted: 8/20/2016 11:03:33 PM EDT
[#30]
How's it going?
Link Posted: 8/21/2016 1:38:33 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 8/21/2016 1:40:40 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 8/22/2016 7:57:31 AM EDT
[#33]
It's been a busy summer.  It just kept me from updating the thread.

As for the garden, it is done but the tomatoes are still doing well.  We had a decent corn yield, the squash flopped but the zucchini flourished? Go figure..

Here is my boy

Link Posted: 8/22/2016 8:00:58 AM EDT
[#34]
Also, my dog had cancer and I had to put him down.  It's been a rough year with the loss of three dogs all over ten years old.

He is buried next to his brother and sister down in the woods.  

RIP Buddy

Link Posted: 8/22/2016 6:36:14 PM EDT
[#35]
Handsome little fella!  He must take after his mom!    

Sorry to hear about your pups.  We had to put our daughter's dachshund down earlier this year.  Had the little fella for 9 years.  People that haven't enjoyed having a dog in their life are sure missing out.

Wait a while and get little HKH 4 a buddy.  I'm betting they will have lots of adventures on your spread.
Link Posted: 8/29/2016 10:11:16 PM EDT
[#36]
Got a chance to get out to the wife's family property and plant food plots.
We had two machines running, one plowing and one tilling.

A view

Link Posted: 8/29/2016 11:08:16 PM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 8/29/2016 11:10:09 PM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 9/10/2016 10:39:41 PM EDT
[#40]
I was able to kill a few woodies in early season today.  I introduced my daughter into game cleaning.

I was worried at first but I explained why we hunted and she was fine with it.  She actually liked learning about the organs of the birds and asked me what they did.  My wife was laughing at me as I was telling a 2.5 year old the differences between atria and ventricles as I dissected the heart for her

As you can see I still have a lot of firewood to process.
Link Posted: 9/11/2016 2:24:39 AM EDT
[#41]
HKH, I just read the whole thread start to finish. I must say I am envious. I just inherited 7.5 acres from my father who passed away a couple weeks ago. I plan on starting a garden in the spring as its too late to start now. Just hope I can be as success full as you have been starting out. Anyway, just saying, great thread.
Link Posted: 9/12/2016 7:34:17 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
HKH, I just read the whole thread start to finish. I must say I am envious. I just inherited 7.5 acres from my father who passed away a couple weeks ago. I plan on starting a garden in the spring as its too late to start now. Just hope I can be as success full as you have been starting out. Anyway, just saying, great thread.
View Quote

Sorry to hear about your Dad, being in MS you can get a garden going almost year round.  Take a look at Samian and Ratling and Dimmus threads.

Just looked, where the heck has Dimmu been? Last post was a year ago, and last login was in may

Too many good contributors are leaving
Link Posted: 10/4/2016 8:36:43 PM EDT
[#43]
Well it's been a month since an update, still infested with puddy tats who are eating my chickens

2nd one in five days...

The one last Thursday, I actually lured in with a spinning raccoon tail gizmo and varmit call.

Suppressed 416 made short work of that one.
Link Posted: 10/4/2016 10:35:33 PM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 10/4/2016 10:40:55 PM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 10/4/2016 10:42:21 PM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 10/5/2016 10:26:12 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Well it's been a month since an update, still infested with puddy tats who are eating my chickens

http://i109.photobucket.com/albums/n45/trip157/6AA48F78-473C-4EB5-B9C1-9999ACCE7588_zpsfjdb0blf.jpg

2nd one in five days...

The one last Thursday, I actually lured in with a spinning raccoon tail gizmo and varmit call.

Suppressed 416 made short work of that one.
View Quote

But cat season does not open until the 25th in NY and suppressors are
Link Posted: 10/5/2016 11:09:07 PM EDT
[#48]
This is such a great thread. I wondered waay back why you didn't put your gate on the other side of that tree. It would have stopped someone from crashing into it. It seemed like it's gone now, but it made me wonder many pages back. Cool cool place. Kudos
Link Posted: 10/8/2016 7:47:06 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
This is such a great thread. I wondered waay back why you didn't put your gate on the other side of that tree. It would have stopped someone from crashing into it. It seemed like it's gone now, but it made me wonder many pages back. Cool cool place. Kudos
View Quote

Thanks Buddy, in case you are wondering the gate has held up well for the last two years.

Way back in this thread TRG questioned if I should have used a round pole instead of a square post.  I had the same concern afterward, but it has held up well and I have not had to make any adjustments yet.
Link Posted: 10/8/2016 10:17:31 AM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

Thanks Buddy, in case you are wondering the gate has held up well for the last two years.

Way back in this thread TRG questioned if I should have used a round pole instead of a square post.  I had the same concern afterward, but it has held up well and I have not had to make any adjustments yet.
View Quote

I put up one of those Tractor Supply gates across the back entrance to my property this spring.  I did use round poles though, mainly because they were cheaper than a 6x6.  Holding up really well so far.

Hard to believe TRG hasn't logged in for nearly a year.

I may need you to head this way with that tractor and chainsaw.  After all that shopping I was doing I never bought one............

We are hunkered down waiting for Matthew to hit.  Looks like it's going to get pretty close to us.  Generator is ready and fuel cans are staged.

Page / 8
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top