I've been there before!!!!

Just recognized it!

TRG
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 5:40:39 PM EDT
[#2]
a2+b2=c2

Link Posted: 9/17/2014 8:17:58 PM EDT
[#3]
The hell are you two knuckleheads babbling about.  

Pythagoras up in this coop.
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 10:45:41 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote

Pi R square?

TRG

Link Posted: 9/17/2014 10:48:18 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Pi R square?

TRG

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Pi R square?

TRG

coop, not so much
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 11:09:44 PM EDT
[#6]

That coop is within 1/4".  Perhaps the perspective of the photo?

The only thing that is crooked are the cleats bracing the ridge.  I just did not want to balance on one leg while trying to get them straight.

The ground does slope away from what will be the floor, but I am hauling in gravel to fill it and level it before we cover it with sand.

Enough with you cantankerous old coots.
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 4:53:14 PM EDT
[#7]
Damn HKH you've been busy.
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 6:06:15 PM EDT
[#8]

Just busting your chops.  It's a pain to frame anything by yourself for sure.
Link Posted: 9/19/2014 7:31:25 PM EDT
[#9]
I'll have you know I could not sleep last night due to the criticism of my shed.

After a bucket or four of dirt from a pile that was created for a burn pit, my floor is level now.  I also picked up a 50' roll of fence wire for 20 bucks at a yard sale still in the plastic.  I used part of this to 'burglar proof' the coop.  I was using a pos harbor freight pneumatic stapler and my wife could hear me cussing from 60 yards away.  She came back with a present.  A Hitachi stapler.  This made fast work of securing the floor so nothing can dig through.  We will put the sand in on top.

Here is a pic of the rear.  I framed up a window and put hardware cloth on the inside and plexi (for winter) on the back.  It is easily removable.

Another pic, you can see at the bottom how much dirt I had to bring in to get it level.  That big slope is what made it look like caddy wampused.

Got the roof finished and ridge cap on.  Wrapped the front and began working on the angle cuts for the upper half.

I quit for the day on that.
Link Posted: 9/20/2014 8:30:06 AM EDT
[#10]
That's too nice to be a coop.

TRG
Link Posted: 9/20/2014 8:48:39 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
That's too nice to be a coop.

TRG
View Quote

The gal whose chose to pick me over all the other knuckle draggers, gets whats she wants, if I am able.

I just talk a big game.

Plus, it can double as a small barn for a pony for our baby girl and I can build another coop she said.
Link Posted: 9/20/2014 4:29:44 PM EDT
[#12]
In the new place, we have a fireplace with blower designed to heat the place.  I have been busting wood manually and finally said enough.

I went down to the pallet mill and gave them forty bucks for this 18ft trailer load of oak, hickory, poplar and maple.  Now I have to figure out how to stack it and handle it efficiently.  

Thinking the loader and then dumping it on a heavy tarp under the porch where the split wood is stacked.  I need to rig a pulley system to get the wood up, so I don't have to carry it up two flights of stairs.

eta:

got the back of the coop wrapped up.  Also took down some old fencing to get my tractor back there and cleared up twenty or so smaller trees to expand the runs area.

Looks like we are going to make a six foot tall run with a chicken wire top.  I'll be glad when this project is complete.
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 7:15:28 PM EDT
[#13]
Finally done with all the cuts on the top half.  I had a brain fart and used the wrong side of the wood (on the left side), so it does not match.  Oh well... I did not want to waste that wood so I left it as is.

Still have to trim out the window with some scrap rough sawn red oak.
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 7:51:59 PM EDT
[#14]
That looks really good bro.  I like the repurposed wood.

Those damned chickens better be dropping a lot of eggs!
Link Posted: 10/16/2014 5:40:38 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View Quote

Well I may be able to get more eggs now.... Due to not losing chickens

Link Posted: 10/16/2014 7:15:10 PM EDT
[#16]
free cat!  
Link Posted: 10/16/2014 8:42:16 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

http://i109.photobucket.com/albums/n45/trip157/1016140822_zpsdtf15t6q.jpg
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://i109.photobucket.com/albums/n45/trip157/1016140822_zpsdtf15t6q.jpg

puddy tat!
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 6:39:46 PM EDT
[#18]
It has been a bit since I have been able to work on the bobcat redoubt.  I am almost finished now.  Underground utilities are in

Finished exterior door with hardware cloth

Interior shot with the light above the door in the supply/storage room.  It is separated by another door and chicken wire wall.

The chicken room with a 4" sand floor.  The door to the run is complete however I still have to install a pulley system so that we can open it from the storage room.  I have to build a poop board and roost tomorrow so we can move the birds in.

Another shot of the chicken area along with the inside door.

Power! We will run a light in the interior of the coop on a timer along with a fan as needed on hot days.  The wife wanted more outlets, but I figure 4 is enough.

C'est fini
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 10:07:49 PM EDT
[#19]
Very nice!  Without turning this into a poop thread, what's a poop board?
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 11:46:26 PM EDT
[#20]
Your wife heard you cussing your cheap tools and went out to get you better ones?  You sir, married well!  Oh, and nice job on the coop, too.  
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 4:03:17 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

It is a table that sand is on to catch the chicken droppings from the roost.  Think of it as a litter box for the chickens.

Here is a pic of it, and the roost (I used an old landscape timber I had laying around.  I left a cut in the back of the table so the chicken door can be raised to the run.
I used the same old red oak for the table top that was used to side the coop.  

Quoted:
Your wife heard you cussing your cheap tools and went out to get you better ones?  You sir, married well!  

Awesome, huh?
Link Posted: 11/5/2014 9:08:20 AM EDT
[#22]
Have the chickens moved in yet?

Grove
Link Posted: 11/15/2014 6:55:18 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Have the chickens moved in yet?

Grove
View Quote

Nope, we are picking up five more hens tomorrow after church.  We will move them all in tomorrow night so all 3 gangs can establish a new pecking order.  I wonder if 'ol wild red chicken will be put in her place by one of the younger ones. I only keep her around cause she survived 2 separate bobcat attacks.

She is barren but has the sharpest eye of all of them when they are free ranging.

Today I had to carry 2 ricks of wood up two flights of stairs to my back porch

I have to rig up some type of pulley/electric hoist system.  That was entirely too much work.
Link Posted: 11/24/2014 5:30:39 PM EDT
[#24]
I love these threads. Please keep it updated.
Link Posted: 11/25/2014 12:44:54 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

http://i109.photobucket.com/albums/n45/trip157/bb6b383696c658fc28be910e3bf1bfec_zps6e8ab897.jpg

I have to rig up some type of pulley/electric hoist system.  That was entirely too much work.
View Quote

Could you put a gate or removable section of railing in the corner of your deck above the garage between the downspout and the corner post?  Then build a raised rack/box that would fit on the loader bucket.  Fill the box up with firewood, raise it up to the gate, and then stack on the porch?  I have forks for my Kubota and just stack wood on a pallet.  The top of my railing is about 6' off the ground and I just "rest" the pallet on the railing and then fill the rack.   Yours looks like a 9' lift and you may need to block up your box/rack 2' to get it high enough.
Link Posted: 11/25/2014 9:26:09 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Could you put a gate or removable section of railing in the corner of your deck above the garage between the downspout and the corner post?  Then build a raised rack/box that would fit on the loader bucket.  Fill the box up with firewood, raise it up to the gate, and then stack on the porch?  I have forks for my Kubota and just stack wood on a pallet.  The top of my railing is about 6' off the ground and I just "rest" the pallet on the railing and then fill the rack.   Yours looks like a 9' lift and you may need to block up your box/rack 2' to get it high enough.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://i109.photobucket.com/albums/n45/trip157/bb6b383696c658fc28be910e3bf1bfec_zps6e8ab897.jpg

Brother you have read my mind.  I am in the process of mentally engineering that right now  lol, me engineering something is a dangerous prospect.

I will do it on the backside of the house where the deck is only about 6.5' off the ground.  My loader on the tractor will be able to reach that easily.  I just want to make the railing attachment points very secure as we have a baby girl who will soon be riding her tricycle all the way around the house on the porch.

And I have 2 more ricks of wood to haul up there.  Thanksgiving day will be a workout.
Link Posted: 11/25/2014 9:55:26 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

And I have 2 more ricks of wood to haul up there.  Thanksgiving day will be a workout.
View Quote

whiner  

How are the rails attached now?  Shouldn't be too hard to mod them to be easily bolted/unbolted.

Link Posted: 12/16/2014 10:55:59 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

whiner  

How are the rails attached now?  Shouldn't be too hard to mod them to be easily bolted/unbolted.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

whiner  

No real update on this, other than the fact that I am stupid.

I never really lifted the bucket up to see if it would reach, I just assumed it would not.  derp.

I can fill the bucket full of wood and it gets to w/in 8 inches of the rail.  I can easily reach out and get the wood and put it in the wood box.

Problem solved.
Link Posted: 12/31/2014 6:56:09 PM EDT
[#29]
Well it's New Years and cold, not a lot going on but I just got my tractor back from the dealer with my Christmas present.

Dual rear remotes and I plumbed a wet line to the loader for use with a grapple.

I will be using the grapple to move logs to my staging area and hold them off the ground while I cut the wood to length.  I will then run a log splitter off the other remote to split the wood.  I will be buying the split fire horizontal unit with the 4 way wedge.  It hits the wood going and coming so I get 8 chunks with a full cycle of the hydraulics.

Too bad I'm spent from buying presents, as the grapple and splitter will come later this spring.  This setup will make me much much more efficient in preparing next years wood fuel.

Front wet lines

Rear remotes
Link Posted: 1/2/2015 2:31:59 AM EDT
[#30]
You need to get a hydraulic top link for your 3 point.  For doing any work with 3pt attachments it is awesome! http://www.ebay.com/itm/Cat-I-Hydraulic-TopLink-Range-21-32-High-Quality-German-Construction-/281451519928?pt=BI_Heavy_Equipment_Parts&hash=item4187d15fb8
Link Posted: 2/22/2015 4:18:39 PM EDT
[#31]
Well we woke up at Saturday morning to the sounds of artillery.  Trees were freezing and actually bursting.  Telephone poles were crumpling due to overwhelming ice loads.  Here are some pics of the surrounding areas.

View from porch

Yard

What we faced after the ice came

Lessons learned

I broke my Cardinal rule and did not fill up the truck with diesel the night before.  I trusted the weatherman.  Don't trust the weatherman.

After an adventurous day of cutting out and getting fuel we are sitting in a toasty house with all the amenities.

I would like to point out that my HF 8750 genset is a little rockstar.  I have it plugged in and with some select flipping of breakers we are able to run the well pump, the stove to cook while running the propane furnace and fireplace blower.

We have 40 gallons of gas stored, along with 15 gallons of diesel that I put in my truck and topped off the tractor.  I have been able to take my elderly neighbors down the road hot coffee and a case of water.  I was also able to give another elderly couple a can of mixed gas for his saw after he ran out.

The Lord had us in his Grace as some things definitely went our way, and I have seen the shortfalls of some preps.  These will be rectified post haste.  All in all we are in great shape, and we just gave my 15 month old a hot bath.  

Power is not expected back for 5-7 days.
Link Posted: 2/22/2015 5:02:11 PM EDT
[#32]
yuck.

good luck
Link Posted: 2/22/2015 5:55:33 PM EDT
[#33]
Looks like being prepared paid off!  I think I may take this as inspiration to pick up a few more jerry cans myself.
Link Posted: 2/22/2015 8:55:34 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Looks like being prepared paid off!  I think I may take this as inspiration to pick up a few more jerry cans myself.
View Quote

I had the 'usual' 10 gallons for the riding mower and mixing fuel.  I bought 3 more and filled them.  I also emptied the diesel (to the truck and tractor) from 3 of my Nato cans to free up more gas storage.  This is where I got lucky.  Also I bought the last outdoor generator 4 prong plug that lowes had after the storm.  Lucky again.

Most times you don't get a second chance like this.  Going forward I am upping my gas to 50 gallons and I will rotate it through my wife's car.  I will probably keep the diesel at 20 gallons, it has proven to be sufficient in the past for my uses.

We just ate spaghetti and are running the dishwasher. Not bad.

Across the valley, not a single house has lights on.  It's gonna get cold tonight.

Also, we are running the septic grinder and pump along with the well pump at selected times to pressurize the system.  Without the septic pump things may have gotten crappy
Link Posted: 2/22/2015 10:01:53 PM EDT
[#35]
I already have all of my cords, plugs, etc. for my generator in a big Rubbermaid tote kitted up and ready to go if/when needed.

In my area I should be more concerned about hurricanes than ice/snow, but we have had both since I've lived here!  

I'm lucky in that I can get ethanol free gas here, and I keep 45 gallons worth of fuel cans full.  My boat also holds another 55 when full, so that's plan B for fuel.  I use the fuel cans to feed the boat during the summer and that really keeps it turned over.

If you don't have one of those "super siphons" I would HIGHLY recommend it.  It makes transferring from a fuel can to a vehicle or boat a piece of cake.

Link Posted: 2/25/2015 11:06:03 AM EDT
[#36]
Day  5

So far this dude has been running non stop except for oil changes and refueling.  It will run 12 hours on five gallons of gas with moderate loads.

The electric hot water heater really pulls on it so we aren't using it.  Showers are a wee bit nippy.  

We went around yesterday and cut up 2 big white oaks and a red oak which uprooted.  Will rinse and repeat today.  My new fiskers splitting axe is great.  It busts knotty rounds in 3 or 4 licks.  I did not need to use wedges yesterday.

I'll be glad when the power is back on.  I need to wash my coveralls. They stink.
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 7:15:52 PM EDT
[#37]
Dang. Well at least it sounds like things are going as well as could be expected. Any estimate on power coming back?
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 8:09:13 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Dang. Well at least it sounds like things are going as well as could be expected. Any estimate on power coming back?
View Quote

We got power last night.  My wife said I had been praying too hard for sources of firewood for next winter. She said the Lord answered my prayers

I gathered this in one day.  It is six rows deep.  Tomorrow I plan to triple this amount (perhaps quadruple?).  I found a hollow with trees down that are easily accessible from the road.  Massive trees. Two or three times the size of the rounds pictured below.

Link Posted: 2/27/2015 10:59:52 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

We got power last night.  My wife said I had been praying too hard for sources of firewood for next winter. She said the Lord answered my prayers

I gathered this in one day.  It is six rows deep.  Tomorrow I plan to triple this amount (perhaps quadruple?).  I found a hollow with trees down that are easily accessible from the road.  Massive trees. Two or three times the size of the rounds pictured below.

<a href="http://s109.photobucket.com/user/trip157/media/56a98b0a9427d7b37ca3548eec155cca_zpsefbfad77.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i109.photobucket.com/albums/n45/trip157/56a98b0a9427d7b37ca3548eec155cca_zpsefbfad77.jpg</a>
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

<a href="http://s109.photobucket.com/user/trip157/media/56a98b0a9427d7b37ca3548eec155cca_zpsefbfad77.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i109.photobucket.com/albums/n45/trip157/56a98b0a9427d7b37ca3548eec155cca_zpsefbfad77.jpg</a>

Jackpot!
Link Posted: 4/20/2015 8:59:58 PM EDT
[#40]
Good grief its wet. Not as wet as Dimmu and TRG, but close.

I am still dealing with the aftermath of the ice storm.  If you look closely you will see multiple piles of limbs as yet unburned. I have them pushed up all the way through to the road.

Not sure why I have a hose drug out to the burn pit, I can't even get it lit yet.

I did get the garden tilled before the rain.  I expanded it to one larger plot, and I will do my planting in one place this year, I believe. Nothing in the ground yet.  I will try to get that in the first week of May as I fear the frost.

I am leaving the little garden in wheat for the chickens to browse on.  I may change my mind and put a large squash and cucumber patch here.

I have been busy gathering wood from all the downed trees.  By my guesstimate I should have roughly 25 ricks of wood to split.  The logs and pile itself are much larger than the pics portray.

I tilled up some beds up the road and the wife planted hundreds of tulips, daffodils and crocus flowers.  They are beginning to pop up and look nice.  I will have to get some pics.
Link Posted: 4/20/2015 9:07:19 PM EDT
[#41]
Good luck with your planting. This season is a strange one.
Link Posted: 4/20/2015 9:14:42 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Good luck with your planting. This season is a strange one.
View Quote

It was near 70 here today (NM). Saturday we woke up to 4 inches of snow
Link Posted: 5/1/2015 6:51:19 PM EDT
[#43]
Garden is moving along.  This is a little side bed where I have cukes next to the fence so they can climb and some onion sets.

Here is my first try with fence planting tomatoes.  I am doing this to force myself to plant less tomatoes and give them more space.  I will plant them tomorrow they are in the greenhouse now.  The rows lined out next to them will be bell and hot peppers.

The 'wide' rows you see here are bush beans.  I am trying this for the first time thanks to TRG and his Joys of Gardening book suggestion.

I will run shorter rows perpendicular to the way these run on the upper end of the garden.  I will plant lettuce, squash, zucchini and melons up there.  The lettuce will be wide row crops too.

Part of the 17 baby hens we hatched.

Red chicken standing guard

Gratuitous pic of my 100 dollar craigslist posthole digger . We had to put posts in for the expanded chicken run.

Got the burn pit lit last week.  It burned for 3 days straight.  Now I get to fill it again.

Link Posted: 5/6/2015 4:35:49 PM EDT
[#44]
Nice score on the post hole digger.

I could've used that a few months ago.
Link Posted: 5/12/2015 11:02:10 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Nice score on the post hole digger.

I could've used that a few months ago.
View Quote

It had a crack where water got in the end and froze.  I just welded it up and hit it with some spray paint to inhibit rust.  Works for me

Couple of pics

Tomatoes after replanting.  I killed 85% of the 48 plants with a rushed job of fertilizer.  It was wet, now it's bone dry...

Three 45 ft rows of various peppers

We actually had a brief heavy shower the other afternoon and the beans broke loose.  I have roughly 200ft of beans in the ground.  They are calling for rain this weekend.  I need it.
Link Posted: 5/15/2015 12:37:17 PM EDT
[#46]
Are you selling the extra or canning like crazy?
Link Posted: 5/16/2015 9:38:14 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Are you selling the extra or canning like crazy?
View Quote

We will can, but I need to sell some

Finally got some rain, and things started jumping overnight

right row is squash, left is zuccini. Far left is watermelon. I may have planted these to close?

another shot of things coming up fairly well

these two rows are 50 ft of beans. I am not sure why the beans have not come up closest to me.  I expanded the garden this year, and this is the first time that soil has been planted.  I may need to lime it?

Obligatory pic of the roses going nuts

The wife has gotten the water feature decked out for spring

Normally I am a buy once cry once guy, but I opted to buy this HF 20 ton log splitter.  It breaks the wood going and coming.  It has split 30" rounds with ease so far.  Best 600 bucks I have spent lately.

I spent the afternoon splitting wood I had gathered.  Pic of the carnage.
Link Posted: 5/29/2015 4:12:47 PM EDT
[#48]
It's been raining well lately, garden is moving along.

This is the junk bed or overflow where I put my onion and leftover squash and cuke seeds.  I need to weed/clean it.

Beans are coming along, the bare spots are filling in now.  Better late than never.

Tomatoes are getting up there.  I think I am going to like this fence system.  I still overdid it though with too many plants.

Flowers already

Squash and zucchini rows, melons to the left of the zukes

Since I didn't plant corn I ran 3 rows of bush beans, nice how straight and even the rows are.  Not real proud of the way it looks.

Link Posted: 5/29/2015 7:03:42 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

nice how straight and even the rows are

View Quote

Link Posted: 5/29/2015 8:02:14 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

nice how straight and even the rows are

Hey now!

I did get a few nice and straight rows

Those were some leftover beans I found in the shed I had left out all year.  I did not think they would sprout, but they surprised me.  I was dog tired, and I just used some tractor ruts from tilling to plant them.    As a matter of fact I just kicked dirt over them with my boot, I did not use a rake on those.
Page / 8
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top