Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 8
Posted: 4/18/2014 9:36:33 PM EDT
I made a thread last year with the experiment of my first garden.  Overall I would rate my success at 6 out of 10.  

The corn failed, my tomatoes grew well, but did not produce as much as I expected.  The peppers were the real winners last year along with cucumbers.

That said, I have picked up and moved the family to our dream spot.  I have two gardens that have never been planted, which are located in a clearing in the woods.

Pic from the porch:

The one on the left is extremely rich dirt, I think that goats were penned in this enclosure.  I peeled the fence back to till it, and after it is planted I will put it back in place.
You can see the greenhouse where the plants are growing for now, I will plant them in about 2 weeks.

Here is a shot of the bigger, unfenced garden.  Pardon my demolition of the bridge, it was rotten, and I am tearing it down with my loader on my tractor.  It will be rebuilt after I get the garden in.

Another view of the larger plot:

Here is the enclosed smaller garden next to the greenhouse:

I have water and power out at both gardens.  I am thinking about energizing a fence to keep the deer out.

Since this has not been planted, and I am too busy/lazy to test the soil, I spread out 200 lbs of lime and dropped 75 lbs of 15/15/15 which I tilled under.

I hope this will be sufficient to get the soil right.

Crop to be planted:
corn, tomatoes, melons, squash, cucumber, broccoli, bell peppers, banana peppers, jalapeño peppers, bush beans, onions and whatever else i decide to fail at growing.

Comments, criticism, coaching is always welcome.

Thanks for reading.
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 10:08:49 PM EDT
[#1]
Tag.

TRG
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 5:19:14 AM EDT
[#2]
Neat spot.  How much sun does it get mid-summer?  Lots of trees around, but it looks like you have a decent clearing to work with.
Nice house, too, if that's it peeking through the trees.

Think about a chipper-shredder.  Shredding a bunch of those leaves every fall will provide you with enough mulch to make weed problems a thing of the past.
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 6:12:11 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Neat spot.  How much sun does it get mid-summer?  Lots of trees around, but it looks like you have a decent clearing to work with.
Nice house, too, if that's it peeking through the trees.

Think about a chipper-shredder.  Shredding a bunch of those leaves every fall will provide you with enough mulch to make weed problems a thing of the past.
View Quote

Not sure on the sunlight, we just bought the place.... Hopefully enough

I have been wanting a wallenstein pto chipper not sure if that will do leaves.  Around these parts, all farm equipment prices rise directly proportional to the amount of rust on it.  They are proud of it.  

I never find deals like our sister down in East Texas does.
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 6:28:12 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Not sure on the sunlight, we just bought the place.... Hopefully enough

View Quote

One thing you can do this year is start tracking that... make yourself a sketch of the clearing including the garden spot, and print off a bunch of copies.  Once a week or so go out mid-day and draw in the areas the sun is hitting, and where it isn't.  That changes a lot over the course of a year, as the sun moves around in the sky and leaf cover comes and goes.  If you get serious about the gardening, you can use this history to help choose what to plant where, and when.
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 1:59:18 PM EDT
[#5]
I would be shocked if those plots got 8 hours of sunlight.
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 7:33:19 AM EDT
[#6]
My backyard plot gets less than 8 hours a day....... No problem for everything except corn and stuff that really needs full sun. You just have to be more patient in waiting for stuff to mature.
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 9:10:28 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
My backyard plot gets less than 8 hours a day....... No problem for everything except corn and stuff that really needs full sun. You just have to be more patient in waiting for stuff to mature.
View Quote

You live in NC he lives in NY he doesn't have the luxury of being patient.
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 9:16:31 AM EDT
[#8]
That soil looks rich!  

BTW what the heck was the purpose of that bridge?  I couldn't envision a flash flood/runoff event requiring such a bridge.  The height and narrow width actually made me think of kids actually falling off it.  Dunno, just my initial thoughts on it.

I wish I had your soil.  I'm in a new place and I'll be attempting to grow in flint chips!
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 9:54:14 AM EDT
[#9]
Nice looking place!

OST for later viewing of dead/wilting vegetables.  
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 10:12:38 AM EDT
[#10]
Good looking soil.
You might want to consider thinning out some of the surrounding trees to let in more sunlight.Trimming off the lower branches of remaining trees will help too.
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 2:33:15 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
That soil looks rich!  

BTW what the heck was the purpose of that bridge?  I couldn't envision a flash flood/runoff event requiring such a bridge.  The height and narrow width actually made me think of kids actually falling off it.  Dunno, just my initial thoughts on it.

I wish I had your soil.  I'm in a new place and I'll be attempting to grow in flint chips!
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
That soil looks rich!  

The bridge was here when we bought the place.  That thing is over 12 feet off the ground in the middle!  I am dropping it down to about 6 feet off the ground and will be placing a railing.  The wife wanted it rebuilt, who am I to argue?

Quoted:
Nice looking place!

LOL, I can wilt the best of them brother!
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 2:38:15 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 10:24:57 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Wallenstein makes two PTO chippers with shredder chambers, the BMX 32 and BMX 42.  They are capable of accepting 3" and 4" diameter logs respectively.  I'm of the opinion that anything bigger than that is firewood.  I would really like one of their standalone analogs, but I haven't been able to talk myself into it yet.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I have been wanting a wallenstein pto chipper not sure if that will do leaves.

Wallenstein makes two PTO chippers with shredder chambers, the BMX 32 and BMX 42.  They are capable of accepting 3" and 4" diameter logs respectively.  I'm of the opinion that anything bigger than that is firewood.  I would really like one of their standalone analogs, but I haven't been able to talk myself into it yet.

Last year I bought a WoodMaxx PTO chipper with hydraulic feed, I've been very happy with it.  My place has a lot of 6" pines, and the chipper will turn the whole tree into mulch.  No shredder though.
Link Posted: 4/21/2014 2:01:45 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

The bridge was here when we bought the place.  That thing is over 12 feet off the ground in the middle!  I am dropping it down to about 6 feet off the ground and will be placing a railing.  The wife wanted it rebuilt, who am I to argue?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
That soil looks rich!  

Quoted:
Nice looking place!

OK, lol.  I guess it's better than the bridge to nowhere!
Link Posted: 5/2/2014 11:17:17 PM EDT
[#15]
I planted 8 rows of corn today, one row of melons, and two rows of squash and cucumber.

The onions and broccoli have been in the ground for a week or so.

I plan on placing the tomatoes, bell pepper, jalapeño, banana peppers and beans this weekend.

I am concerned about the sunlight issue.
Link Posted: 5/3/2014 12:22:41 AM EDT
[#16]
About peppers... they are co-dependent women, so to speak.  You need to treat them right when you meet them, and then abuse them.  

When you plant them, add a handful of matches under the rootball.  Add in a bone, or handful of oyster shell to boot.   Put a Tspn of fertilizer.  Cover this treasure with 1-2" of soil.

Never fertilize them again.

When you pick the peppers, don't worry about occasionally snapping a branch.  Don't do enough damage to cause them to die, or call the cops, but, don't be gentle.

They are not tomatoes, they are not shrinking violets.

Peppers only produce fruit when they are worried about survival.  Make them happy and you get nothing.  Rough them up and well...see line 1.

TRG
Link Posted: 5/3/2014 4:22:56 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
About peppers...
TRG
View Quote

thanks for the tip.

They are in, everything but the bush beans.  I gave up for today and cut the grass. They will go in the ground tomorrow.

This is why I quit drinking, I can't do anything in moderation.  I planted 56 tomato plants, and still have 24 heirlooms in the greenhouse

Good grief, if it takes off, I am going to be feeding the church all summer.

Link Posted: 5/3/2014 7:55:38 PM EDT
[#18]
good looking soil, but way too shady.
Link Posted: 5/3/2014 9:07:57 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

thanks for the tip.

They are in, everything but the bush beans.  I gave up for today and cut the grass. They will go in the ground tomorrow.

This is why I quit drinking, I can't do anything in moderation.  I planted 56 tomato plants, and still have 24 heirlooms in the greenhouse

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
About peppers...
TRG

thanks for the tip.

Ketchup.

Look back in my thread from last summer and you'll find recipes and pictorials showing you the easy way to make it.

Homemade ketchup is about 6.00 a pint.

You can once again afford your drinking habit.  

TRG
Link Posted: 5/11/2014 6:24:03 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
good looking soil, but way too shady.
View Quote

I am getting about 6-7 hrs of sun on each garden so far, it will get more as summer progresses. Can't tell by these pics though

We got a little over an inch of rain yesterday and the corn,melons,squash&cucumber jumped from the ground.  These were planted with seed.

Corn is out of the ground

Orange and red bell peppers doing well (big boys are two rows on right)

Cucumber and squash coming up from seed.  I may have planted these too close... We will see.

This is the better boys, Roma's, cherry tomatoes along with banana, bell, jalapeño.  I also have broccoli and onions on the right.

Clearing up the dead mans bridge, chickens in sight

Making a waterfall for the wife unit in our koi pond. If it turns out ok, that will be another thread.
Pardon the mess of rock and hosepipe.

Gave away the 20 tomato plants I had left.
Link Posted: 5/11/2014 9:07:26 PM EDT
[#21]
That bridge framing would make an excellent start on a new coop.  Add in some joists, some plywood walls... tin roof.

You could have a large coop in no time at all.

TRG
Link Posted: 5/11/2014 10:22:07 PM EDT
[#22]
That's some good looking soil seems to be plenty rich in organic matter.....
Link Posted: 5/12/2014 7:25:28 PM EDT
[#23]
Looking good HK!
Link Posted: 5/15/2014 7:22:23 PM EDT
[#24]
What an impact 3" of rain made.  It has been four days and everything jumped.

Better boys

Red and orange bell peppers

Corn!

Broccoli and onions really moving

Better boys almost knee high... Think I'm gonna need a bigger bucket.  Freshly hoed...

Gotta hoe the squash and cucumbers but they have moved from seed much faster than expected

Making progress on the waterfall...
Link Posted: 5/16/2014 5:30:29 PM EDT
[#25]
I just put out my baskets and stakes.

I noticed many small holes on the lower outer leaves of my big boys.  A quick google search says flea beetle...

What would you use as the safest pesticide to eradicate these?
Link Posted: 5/17/2014 9:22:17 AM EDT
[#26]
For flea beetles I use sevin dust.

Beneficial nematodes will kill them in the ground.
Link Posted: 5/17/2014 9:23:04 AM EDT
[#27]
Double tap
Link Posted: 5/25/2014 10:06:38 PM EDT
[#28]
A few pics and update:

cherry tomato going well, with broccoli finishing the row.  The onions seem to be doing better.  I think they are too close to the other plants.

better boys with my eclectic pepper collection.  I had to tie up the maters (ran out of baskets) as the rain had lain several on the ground.  I may have to dig them up and replace.  Its not like I have a shortage of tomatoes.

cucumber and squash coming along nicely.

I fertilized the corn and tomatoes today in the bigger garden.  I am not getting enough sun I think in this one.  I am thinking about tree removal prior to planting next year.

lots of grass down in this area.  I planted bush beans and they are coming along nicely.  I hoed the rows, hoping when they take off that they will overtake the grass.

Link Posted: 5/25/2014 11:44:48 PM EDT
[#29]
Onions and tomatoes are competitors.  You can move your onions.  It will set them back a week, but, it can be done. Onions are tolerant of uprooting at the stage you have,

But, you could also just make sure you feed them both a triple 13, or similar, every two weeks.  You need to feed the onions anyways, and the tomatoes will appreciate the extra nutrition.

If you want really large onions, not scallions, move 'em.  Otherwise, feed 'em and pluck them as needed for seasoning.

On the tomatoes.  I had an issue this year with a torrential levels of rain.  It put all of mine on the ground, wilted.  From Googling, and from watching mine react ... they can handle it.  They will stunt a little, but, as long as they have a chance to dry out heir roots a little (every 4 days or less) they will recover.

TRG
Link Posted: 5/26/2014 9:54:23 AM EDT
[#30]
On your bugs ...

For anything that lives, crawls, or digs on the ground you need  ground based poison.  Ortho makes a great broad spectrum killer.

This: http://www.hayneedle.com/product/orthobugbgonemaxinsectkillergranules.cfm?redirect=false&source=pla&kwid=Pest%20Control%20High&tid=BCL1262&adtype=pla&kw=&ci_src=17588969&ci_sku=BCL1262&gclid=CjgKEAjwzIucBRDzjIz9qMOB3TASJABBIwL1n94RH-gkNgu8bknyzaa6tlCQF3EgWzP7fkl0LbBEyvD_BwE

Wal-Mart sells it for 10.99.  Kills cutworms as well.  I use it for all of my plantings now.  It's cheap and persistent in the soil to keep killing even after a rain.

For those that eat leaves, you need something that sticks to the leaves.  .Liquid Sevin is great for this.  You can also use a powder, but it is more susceptible to wind and rain.   Gordon's Garden Powder is also great.  As soon as you see holes appear, either spray or dust to kill them.

For those that do not get killed by the ground based or leaf based poisons (like beetles and stink bugs) you need a direct spray.  These are typically vine boring bugs.  Their legs keep them out of the soil based poisons and they stick a proboscis in to the vine so they are not exposed to leave based poisons.  Aphids also fall in to this category.  This is dicier because the spray will be tailored for the bugs.  For most, a surfactant based killer will work.  Mild soapy water.  Careful though, soaps can damage some plant's leaves.   I use Mr. Clean with Febreeze for this, avoid the one with Gain added.  It's too soapy and seals the leaves and kills the leaves.

TRG
Link Posted: 5/26/2014 3:31:03 PM EDT
[#31]
Looking good!
Link Posted: 5/30/2014 4:50:23 PM EDT
[#32]
Well we have been getting rain every day.  Two inches in the last two days.  The tomatoes in the fenced garden have grown 10" in four days they were not to the top of the baskets, now they are wayyyy above.  I will have to stake these I believe.

This is just a pic of the larger garden.  Corn is a ft tall but you can clearly see it is not getting enough sunlight.  The beans on the right are really jumping in the last 72 hrs.  Tomatoes and peppers seem to be doing ok, but nothing compared to the little garden.

Dogs tore off down the bluff when I was out there, hair standing on end.  Neighbor saw a bear cross the road last week.
Link Posted: 5/30/2014 5:23:36 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Looking good!
View Quote

Link Posted: 5/30/2014 8:08:42 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Well we have been getting rain every day.  Two inches in the last two days.  The tomatoes in the fenced garden have grown 10" in four days they were not to the top of the baskets, now they are wayyyy above.  I will have to stake these I believe.
http://i109.photobucket.com/albums/n45/trip157/20140530_152237_zpsyd2w2gib.jpg

This is just a pic of the larger garden.  Corn is a ft tall but you can clearly see it is not getting enough sunlight.  The beans on the right are really jumping in the last 72 hrs.  Tomatoes and peppers seem to be doing ok, but nothing compared to the little garden.
http://i109.photobucket.com/albums/n45/trip157/20140530_152137_zpssf6czlzu.jpg

Dogs tore off down the bluff when I was out there, hair standing on end.  Neighbor saw a bear cross the road last week.
View Quote

Fwiw ... if you are pressed for space, you can grow beans and corn in the same row.  They don't compete.  Corn needs nitrogen and get it from the soil, beans get it from the air.  Beans like to climb the corn.  Natural trellis

I have done it a couple times.  Personally, I have enough room and no longer grow them in the same areas.  It also can be a pain to harvest beans because of the corn stalks in your face.

But, since you are working with less space, it might be something you want to try to increase your production on that amount of space.

TRG
Link Posted: 6/18/2014 9:38:04 PM EDT
[#35]
What a difference 2 weeks makes.

tomato plants over 5 ft tall

it's a damn jungle of maters

cukes on the left and squash on the right blowing up

I guess I am getting enough sun.  I never thought it would grow as well in the middle of the woods.  I really need to work on my layout for next year and be more structured with the adjacency's.
Link Posted: 6/20/2014 10:00:28 AM EDT
[#36]
That looks great.
Link Posted: 6/20/2014 3:37:57 PM EDT
[#37]
It all looks good.  

Where did the onions go?

TRG
Link Posted: 6/21/2014 1:11:24 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
It all looks good.  

Where did the onions go?

TRG
View Quote

lol

Came back from a ten day beach trip and they all laid down and died.  Not sure if I had too much rain....  FIL said it rained 9 out of 10 days we were gone.

I dug up the remnants and have been adding to the stir frys.  I moved half to see what would happen.  Death was their fate.

The relationship b/t onions and myself is similar to that of my ex wife.  Toxic.

Eta:  

Killed 3 young hens.  Pic of him eating one.  The wife took the pic but did not kill him. (Back in May)

I drank his milkshake yesterday

Link Posted: 6/21/2014 11:02:12 AM EDT
[#39]
Why did she just let him eat them without killing him immediately?

Sorry about your onions.  I've planted well over 1000 here in the last three seasons.  I finally harvested 100.  

I wish I was joking.

TRG
Link Posted: 6/21/2014 4:04:31 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Why did she just let him eat them without killing him immediately?

TRG
View Quote

She had the shotgun but did not want to ruin her big Tupperware tub

She's great, but she didn't want to go "hands on".

I was only 1 hr out and figured he would still be there, alas that was not the case.
Link Posted: 6/28/2014 9:35:23 AM EDT
[#41]
Ok too much rain and it looks like the wilt has hit my tomatoes.

I just dusted them with sulfur, but more rain is forecast for this weekend.

Anything else I can do to save them?  It is mainly close to the ground and I have broken off some of the worst parts of the plants.
Link Posted: 6/28/2014 11:15:40 AM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

View Quote

cough, cough......  

Link Posted: 6/28/2014 12:43:08 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
cough, cough......    
View Quote

You heartless bitch

One more

Overall progress of bigger plot

Getting broccoli daily

Squash and cucumbers

2 bananas I'm leaving on for the biggest vegetable contest

These are the tomatoes with the wilt.  These are my prime mix of plants.  After dusting

Link Posted: 6/30/2014 1:12:32 PM EDT
[#44]
Do you think that you planted the tomato rows to close together and thats why you have blight?
In my area we don't have enough wind to dry out the plants not to mention the humidity.
I'm going to plant the same spacing but row them further apart next year.

ETA: Nice peppers.
Link Posted: 6/30/2014 3:27:08 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Do you think that you planted the tomato rows to close together and thats why you have blight?
In my area we don't have enough wind to dry out the plants not to mention the humidity.

View Quote

I planted the tomatoes way too tightly.  Let's  chalk it up as a rookie mistake on year 2.

Kinda like my pepper question in your thread

Do you think the sulfur will keep it at bay?  I have to reapply as it has rained EVERY DAY for the last week.
Link Posted: 6/30/2014 5:11:48 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

I planted the tomatoes way too tightly.  Let's  chalk it up as a rookie mistake on year 2.

http://img.pandawhale.com/post-24000-Forrest-Gump-Im-not-a-smart-ma-BkAv.jpeg

Do you think the sulfur will keep it at bay?  I have to reapply as it has rained EVERY DAY for the last week.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://img.pandawhale.com/post-24000-Forrest-Gump-Im-not-a-smart-ma-BkAv.jpeg

I have no idea on the sulfur, I use copper fungicide.
I'm on rookie mistake year two also.
The juliets are the worst at bunching up. That's why I'm planting the other way next year.
Link Posted: 7/5/2014 10:24:03 PM EDT
[#47]
No garden update, other than the tomatoes seem to have gotten over the wilt, and have a lot of fruit going.  The corn is just beginning to silk out.

Since we moved in this place, the wife has been asking about 'storage' in her closet.  I finally got around to building a couple of shelving units for her. Used cedar for the smell, even though the house is all tongue and groove pine on the inside.  She wanted it, so she got it.

pic of half the shop

felt hungry so I broke out the biscuits

joining wood

other half of shop

putting it together, and staining

letting it dry

I know it is not the best, but as a seldom practiced hobby, it turned out ok for my work.  It will be fastened to exposed beams in the closet roof and the 1x2 strip on the back will be used to fasten to the T&G boards.  I think they will be very secure.
Link Posted: 7/6/2014 9:06:17 AM EDT
[#48]
Nice looking project!  Did you build the shop, or was it already there when you bought the house?
Link Posted: 7/6/2014 9:15:56 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Nice looking project!  Did you build the shop, or was it already there when you bought the house?
View Quote

It was here.  That is what made it such a deal.  It was like the bank tossed it in for free

edit:

I had to take the things apart and reassemble them in the closet.  

Link Posted: 7/13/2014 1:53:13 PM EDT
[#50]
Picked a few things today

I have hundreds of tomatoes but they are all green.  Got tired of waiting and going to let these window ripen.

Beans are turning it on. I left ten times this many smaller ones to grow some more.  Cukes are slowwwwww to come in.

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 8
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top