Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 8
Link Posted: 6/7/2015 6:31:39 PM EDT
[#1]
Nothing to harvest yet, just waiting watching stuff grow.  I did hauls 9000 lbs of sand yesterday on a 7K lb trailer.  Coming up the mountain I was glad I had my 450, coming down the hills I was glad I have an engine brake.

Being a 'woods' gardener I have to fight the shade, and things just don't jump at the rate everyone else does.  I figured I'd give a perspective of where and what the garden looks like.

Looking down to the woods

Further in on the way to the garden

There it is... Full shade at 1700

Looking back up to my drive.  Really surprised the beans are doing well where I put them this year.

Peppers in tomato baskets, is that as bad as Bcauzy planting with his baskets inverted?  Not enough sun and it has been wet, the ground looks crusted and dry, but I cannot till the walkways as it would be too wet still. I hope they produce, if not I will move them to the small patch I did not plant this year which gets more sun.

Here is a shot of the tomatoes being trained to the fencing.  I am really hoping this does it for me this year.  If I avoid the wilt, I will be overrun with them.

Squash plants are getting along fine, no blooms yet.

Here are the rows of squash, zucchini and watermelon.

I should get at least 2 picks from this set of green beans.  These are doing well as it gets more light here.

Link Posted: 6/8/2015 10:37:48 AM EDT
[#2]
I may need to try the fence trick next year on the tomatoes.
This year I'm trying the string between poles method. It works
for some but not for others.
Link Posted: 6/12/2015 9:06:50 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I may need to try the fence trick next year on the tomatoes.
View Quote

I am really liking it so far.

Ran across a deal yesterday.  Picked up a well worn disc.  Nothing missing on it, just needs a bit of welding to fix one bracket.  Cost $0.00

Garden is starting to look like a garden now.
beans,melons,squash,zuke

beans getting ready

other side of garden

some of the yard bird

over flow side bed with onion,cuke and more squash

grass (alfalfa, clover and rye) planted to turn chickens out in when the finish killing the section they are in now.

Finally a Parthian shot of the sunset over the bluff just on the other side of the trees.  It was a nice day.
Link Posted: 6/12/2015 9:07:10 PM EDT
[#4]
burst mode
Link Posted: 6/12/2015 9:46:30 PM EDT
[#5]
looking good!
Link Posted: 6/12/2015 10:06:19 PM EDT
[#6]
Looking good OP!
Link Posted: 6/13/2015 6:51:52 PM EDT
[#7]
So the wife wanted a compost bin, in typical HKH fashion I may have overdone it.

I had saved those old red oak boards which we built the coop out of, and frankly they were getting in my way.  So I repurposed some old repurposed wood.

I figure that I will never ever get out there and turn it with a shovel so I made it big enough to get my bucket in there.

That 2x4 on top is just a temporary brace when we move it.  I think this thing is like 600lbs

The ol tractor got it moved though.

I may not be able to fill this big boy up.  The dimensions are 48" tall by 60" deep by 90" wide.  I guess we can do it if we put every single thing in it.

If not I could put rafters and some tin and make another coop out of it.
Link Posted: 6/13/2015 9:54:14 PM EDT
[#8]
that's not a bin, that's a compost silo

Link Posted: 6/13/2015 10:50:49 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 6/13/2015 11:03:49 PM EDT
[#10]
@Kitties

I will be sure to keep it updated.  My problem is I don't have a bagger as we are in the woods with just wild grasses (weeds) that we let grow into a lawn

We do have 42 chickens so I will be able to constantly fill it with that (poop).  The wife is going to touch bases with folks in town and see if we can get their clippings (we would haul them off for them and provide the bags).  I really need to amend the soil in the expanded part of the garden.

We figured this massive bin would make it more affordable than me going to lowes and buying a pallet of black kow.  Needless to say everything from the kitchen (proper compost stuff) will go into it.  

I will have all the leaves I want come fall.   I normally win row them up with the backpack blower and bush hog them to pieces.  Now I will row them, and put them in the bin.  Any tips on other things to do?
Link Posted: 6/13/2015 11:19:16 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 6/14/2015 8:42:22 AM EDT
[#12]
I would suggest actually dividing it into 3 bins.  Use one each year - by the time you get back to the first one it should be well-composted.
Link Posted: 6/14/2015 9:52:09 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I would suggest actually dividing it into 3 bins.  Use one each year - by the time you get back to the first one it should be well-composted.
View Quote

That would require the use of a shovel.

The way it designed, I just have to build side panels and I can add a back bin to it easily.  It would take about 20 minutes as the boards are already cut to length.
Link Posted: 6/14/2015 11:21:04 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 6/14/2015 11:21:53 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 6/16/2015 9:54:29 PM EDT
[#16]
I took a few pics for an update this morning before work.

small tomatoes forming

Small banana pepper, already picked and in my belly

I have 8 watermelons planted, about 5 seem like they will produce.  General size is improving, no fruit yet

Peppers still anemic but hanging in there, tomatoes doing fine

Think I'm going to have enough beans, zucchini and squash?

another bed

I have been feeding 20/20/20 to the tomatoes/squash/melons.  Seems to be helping them.  Any idea on how often I should pour it to them?  I am doing 2 tablespoons of granules per gallon and just watering the base of the plant with my sprayer.  I figure this would be the safest way to do it not to burn them if I mixed it too hot.
Link Posted: 6/17/2015 12:38:12 AM EDT
[#17]
An under-viewed thread.

Good work across the board OP.

TR
Link Posted: 6/17/2015 12:45:55 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 6/17/2015 12:49:57 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Well, hello there, stranger.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
An under-viewed thread.

TR

Sup slut?  

TRG
Link Posted: 6/17/2015 12:58:24 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 6/17/2015 7:46:12 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Just whorin around the garden, tryin' to catch a few decent veggies.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
An under-viewed thread.

TR

Sup slut?  

TRG

Just whorin around the garden, tryin' to catch a few decent veggies.

Well played.  Good to see you again around here.

TRG

Link Posted: 6/19/2015 10:22:52 PM EDT
[#22]
Love this thread and if I am honest it makes me a bit jealous of your piece of paradise.  Keep the updates coming!
Link Posted: 6/20/2015 2:41:13 AM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 6/21/2015 12:10:41 PM EDT
[#24]
Kitties, I'll talk to the wife about it and let you know.  That is very kind of you, thanks.

No big harvest update, but things are coming alone well.  Pic of the Goliaths (i believe).  Chickens got in, going to have to fence it this weekend.

Peppers are finally beginning to grow.

We have had so much rain, it has really beat on my squash and zucchini.  these were flat the other day and are just now trying to get upright.  Beans to the right filling out.

Bertha and the baby chicks

Tilled up the dead grass in the chicken pen, and have planted rye,alfalfa and clover.  It is already coming  up.  I should be able to keep the chicks well fed in a week or 2 with this.

Here is a wide angle shot of the garden area. Gives a perspective of the slope of the land.

Whole garden pic

Got a little crazy with this pic.  It is around a 200 degree pan.  

Another

Link Posted: 6/23/2015 9:57:16 AM EDT
[#25]
beautiful pics and great thread!  I am a few years behind you.  I have 40 acres in the mountains in VA, but need to wait until retirement and the kids going off to school before I can build.. Until then I am following this and other similar threads with interest.  

By the way, what part of NY are you in?  Wife, kids, grandma and I are in Cuba Lake for the week on vacation. Your place reminds me of a religious retreat run by the friars who run St Bonaventure University (where my wife went to school) called Mt Ireneaus  (trying to link but having problems on my tablet).. I am not religious much, but it really is a beautiful mountain retreat with a great garden and even a bee hive.  We are going back up this week for a quick visit and for me to get more ideas.

Link Posted: 6/23/2015 7:33:45 PM EDT
[#26]
Zucchini  plant

Looks like something cut the flower.  Any ideas?
Link Posted: 6/23/2015 7:50:36 PM EDT
[#27]
Speckled leaf on your squash indicates disease.  Neem oil is the general cure for the speckling/disease.

TRG
Link Posted: 6/23/2015 8:26:44 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Speckled leaf on your squash indicates disease.  Neem oil is the general cure for the speckling/disease.

TRG
View Quote

I'll pick some up tomorrow

Overall they look pretty good though.  I bet it's from them laying on the ground from all the rain last week.

Eta:  peppers have a few holes..my plan was a bit of liquid sevin
Link Posted: 6/23/2015 9:28:08 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Overall they look pretty good though.  I bet it's from them laying on the ground from all the rain last week.

http://i109.photobucket.com/albums/n45/trip157/ab8953f14d9d10b1983d39cae3518545_zps3xcb38oa.jpg

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

TRG

http://i109.photobucket.com/albums/n45/trip157/ab8953f14d9d10b1983d39cae3518545_zps3xcb38oa.jpg

NIce looking swack of squash plants.  You are going to be swimming in produce once they start kicking out fruit.  
Link Posted: 6/23/2015 10:09:27 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Zucchini  plant

Looks like something cut the flower.  Any ideas?http://i109.photobucket.com/albums/n45/trip157/8b2bc70dab6ecc422b38933b86063825_zpslbuj4kxx.jpg
View Quote

Is your garden fenced? Could be rabbits.
Link Posted: 6/23/2015 11:16:34 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Could be rabbits.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Could be rabbits.

Might be, it is not fenced yet.  I plan on doing that this week.

Quoted:
NIce looking swack of squash plants.  You are going to be swimming in produce once they start kicking out fruit.  

want some?

Beans producing

tomatoes getting over 6 ft high.

Wife put up some signs

its really filling out now.  man am i going to be busy
Link Posted: 6/23/2015 11:57:40 PM EDT
[#32]
Beans have the same disease/infection.  Neem oil for them as well.

TRG
Link Posted: 6/24/2015 12:00:26 AM EDT
[#33]
FWIW ... before you begin to give away all your squash ....

Squash is not a flavor.  Seriously.  It's neutral.

Any recipe that calls for cucumber (other than pickles) or cabbage ... use ground squash.  Relish, chow chow  ... even sweet canned goods ... like canned apple.

Use the squash.  It's a very good filler for lots of recipes.  

TRG
Link Posted: 6/24/2015 12:56:01 AM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 6/28/2015 5:16:09 PM EDT
[#35]
Got a few things.. Moving slowly for me though.

I had to spread 22 tons of rock for the widow down the road.  They did a horrible job of dump and running the spread.  

I have had big issues with water coming down the road so I cut a nice ditch to divert things.  I'll pick up a load of rip rap and line it to slow things as it flows down the hill.
Link Posted: 6/28/2015 9:32:08 PM EDT
[#36]
Looking good!
Link Posted: 7/1/2015 12:09:50 AM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 7/1/2015 10:55:05 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Try to pick your squash earlier.

It is better when it's small.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Got a few things.. Moving slowly for me though.

http://i109.photobucket.com/albums/n45/trip157/dc6d4ba11e0c618df0ee8b10cb441f2c_zps9hdaeijf.jpg

I had to spread 22 tons of rock for the widow down the road.  They did a horrible job of dump and running the spread.  

I have had big issues with water coming down the road so I cut a nice ditch to divert things.  I'll pick up a load of rip rap and line it to slow things as it flows down the hill.

Try to pick your squash earlier.

It is better when it's small.

Same with pickle sizes?

TRG
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 12:49:36 AM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 2:22:08 PM EDT
[#40]
We have been getting hammered with rain.  2" last night.  Squash is beat down

Have to spray the peppers with liquid seven

Tomatoes looking good, nothing ripe yet

Can't tell by this pic but the water is pouring off the hill.  30yds past this is a 50ft waterfall.  It's LOUD.  

Black berries are moving along too.

I need the rain to stop, but at least this hill drains well.

Link Posted: 7/3/2015 12:25:57 PM EDT
[#41]
6" of rain in the last 2 days.

1 mile down the road  Thats an 8ft culvert.  

There are 4 other complete wash outs on roads off the bluff, not sure if we are cut off yet.  This could be interesting.

Good thing I re-rocked my road this week.  It held like a champ, and the ditches I cut saved my tail.
43 tons of 1" so far.  I need another 22 tons to finish it off. It will be here Tuesday if there is an open way up here.
Link Posted: 7/6/2015 7:32:51 PM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 7/8/2015 11:48:02 PM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 8/16/2015 9:02:50 PM EDT
[#44]
Good grief work has been busy lately.

I have 10 ricks of wood split now. 6 stacked and dry and 4 that need a little more time to dry.

No pics but I did get a chance last night to put up 5 gallons of tomatoes in quart jars.  I have been giving a lot away.

Today we lost a chicken to a coyote, the old saying pigs get fat and hogs go to market played true.

He is no more for this world.

Funny thing, all my pepper plants are nice and tall.  No fruit.  nothing.  This was a huge disappointment, not really sure what went wrong.
Link Posted: 8/17/2015 8:08:56 PM EDT
[#45]
about time you bumped this thing, slacker!
Link Posted: 8/17/2015 9:48:29 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
about time you bumped this thing, slacker!
View Quote

I know...  

You know I have never seen an animal puke up a lung.  It was the damnedest thing.  I shot it with the suppressed 416 with m193.
He ran for about 30 yds over the bluff, and I followed the impressive blood trail.  He was leaking pretty bad

Down in the creek I found him with a frigging lung laying beside him.  Tripped me out.
Link Posted: 8/18/2015 11:09:16 AM EDT
[#47]
How are the tomatoes doing?
Link Posted: 8/18/2015 9:43:10 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
How are the tomatoes doing?
View Quote

They are done for.  I gave away about 3 5gallon buckets full and I put up 2.

They got too tall and fell over the fence and broke themselves.  Next year I am going to put the fence 2 ft off the ground so that I can ensure six feet of plant will be on it.

This way if they get 7 feet tall, only a foot will be unsupported.  I still have about 100 tomatoes that are ripening though, so I will be good through the rest of August.
Link Posted: 8/24/2015 2:03:54 AM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 8/27/2015 11:22:03 PM EDT
[#50]
I like your setup.  What height is your top fence?
Page / 8
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top