Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/16/2014 7:39:50 PM EDT
Every year I end up with about 55 contractor bags of oak leaves.
With this many leaves can I get away with adding dog poop. Or is
there another reason besides nitrogen content that makes this a bad idea?
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 7:48:49 AM EDT
[#1]
I understand (not an expert), there can be worms (ring, round, etc.) and diseases in dog poop that arn't killed during the composting process.
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 9:32:00 PM EDT
[#2]
Gotcha.  Thanks for the heads up on that.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 6:42:09 PM EDT
[#3]
Fill the leaf bags up with water. Tie off the top. Let them sit for a month or so. Then poke a hole in bottom of bag to drain. Wait a year. You have leaf mold. Great stuff.
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 5:58:29 AM EDT
[#4]
Not worth adding the dog poop in my opinion.  Chances of disease ruining your compost pile then you adding that into your food is a bad combination to me.  Burn the leaves or throw them out with the trash depending on where you live.
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 2:56:13 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Not worth adding the dog poop in my opinion.  Chances of disease ruining your compost pile then you adding that into your food is a bad combination to me.  Burn the leaves or throw them out with the trash depending on where you live.
View Quote

I agree with you on the dog manure but not your advice to throw the oak leaves away.  Oak leaves make some of the best compost around.  Hit em' with the mower till their chopped up good and then compost em' with everything else.
Link Posted: 4/26/2014 6:00:48 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

I agree with you on the dog manure but not your advice to throw the oak leaves away.  Oak leaves make some of the best compost around.  Hit em' with the mower till their chopped up good and then compost em' with everything else.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That won't kill the bacteria in the dog poop, just make it cover more surface area and spread it around in the compost pile.
Link Posted: 4/26/2014 8:08:10 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

That won't kill the bacteria in the dog poop, just make it cover more surface area and spread it around in the compost pile.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Stick the pile aside and cover with a black plastic sheet.  Let the sun cook it clean with heat.  Let the pile sit til next year.
Link Posted: 4/26/2014 9:16:54 AM EDT
[#8]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top