Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/15/2014 11:38:01 AM EDT
Anyone here do it?  I have a big compost pile in the back with leaf and grass clippings.  Thinking about adding a worm composter for kitchen scraps, paper etc.  It looks pretty straightforward, but would love to hear some 1st hand experiences.
Link Posted: 4/15/2014 12:22:47 PM EDT
[#1]
I don't know if this is worm composting but I just layer dirt and green stuff, and keep it moist.  The pile is full of worms.
Link Posted: 4/15/2014 1:25:04 PM EDT
[#2]
This is worm composting.

Link Posted: 4/15/2014 6:38:02 PM EDT
[#4]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Awesome!  I don't think I'll be anywhere near that scale.  It's just me, so my kitchen scrap output is pretty small.

Link Posted: 4/15/2014 6:59:18 PM EDT
[#5]
I have 5-6 large 40 gallon totes with red wigglers that live underneath my aquaponic growbed. I prefer worm composting over normal compost because I do not have the room for a large heap.  I purchased the brown rubber made containers from lowes and drilled air holes in the side and drainage holes in bottom.  You can start your bin with shredded cardboard, newspaper, or a layer of leaves.  Take some sand and dress the top of that to aid in the digestive process since they don't have teeth.  From there you can add kitchen scraps but stay away from citrus, meat, grease...  Want to speed it up; blend your scraps with water and feed them that way.  It also keeps it moist.  After a few months you will have "black gold".  If your worm population gets to big add them to your garden.  If you want to be super hardcore catch the leachate that comes out when you water them and brew that as compost tea.
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 10:38:58 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
This is worm composting.

http://youtu.be/jJ3QIZMta98

View Quote

Cool.  I might have to try that.
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 11:36:38 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

This is worm composting.

I've got the tubs built and am working on the bedding now.  Once I have it the way I want, I'll be ordering worms.
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 5:14:10 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

I've got the tubs built and am working on the bedding now.  Once I have it the way I want, I'll be ordering worms.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
This is worm composting.

Are you doing this inside? If so, I'd like to make a suggestion. Put a small light at the top of your bin, around 15W or so. Worms don't like light and it will help keep them in the tub. In a new bin they don't really care for the conditions and will try to escape. Ask me how I know. Even when the bin is somewhat established they'll still  try to escape. If you keep DRY bedding on top AND a light then they won't really try to escape too much at all, with just a light only a few will attempt to get out. Also, it is tough to UNDERfeed them, not so tough to OVER feed them. Too little food and they just wont grow / multiply as much. Too much and it will rot and smell and possibly kill them.
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 7:14:37 PM EDT
[#9]
My vermicompost bin is still going strong after a year with no problems.  Here's a write-up I did when I started it:

I'm a Worm Overlord

I have to politely take exception at the comment above mine.  Worms will not leave unless their conditions are stressing them.  I don't have my airholes (pictured in the link) covered and have never had any escapees.  In fact, I purposely don't want to have the airholes covered because if I see a couple worms that have crawled out (it won't be many unless you neglect it for weeks, plus they pretty much die and crust up right away)... if I see a couple worms that have crawled out, that tells me I better be checking the moisture content, or make sure they have enough food, or whatever else is making them want to leave.

Worms won't go anywhere if they're happy. And it doesn't take much to keep worms happy.  You don't want to put a light inside your tub as it will likely dry out your bedding, which needs to be moist.

Link Posted: 4/19/2014 7:58:43 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

My vermicompost bin is still going strong after a year with no problems.  Here's a write-up I did when I started it:

I'm a Worm Overlord

I have to politely take exception at the comment above mine.  Worms will not leave unless their conditions are stressing them.  I don't have my airholes (pictured in the link) covered and have never had any escapees.  In fact, I purposely don't want to have the airholes covered because if I see a couple worms that have crawled out (it won't be many unless you neglect it for weeks, plus they pretty much die and crust up right away)... if I see a couple worms that have crawled out, that tells me I better be checking the moisture content, or make sure they have enough food, or whatever else is making them want to leave.

Worms won't go anywhere if they're happy. And it doesn't take much to keep worms happy.  You don't want to put a light inside your tub as it will likely dry out your bedding, which needs to be moist.

View Quote

Thanks for the info!
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 3:23:32 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

I'm a Worm Overlord

View Quote

When you first get the worms they are going to not be super happy, they came balled up with no bedding. Your bin, when NEW, isn't going to have fantastic conditions either. That is what I ran into. Recently I had the light unplugged and the worms didn't escape at all, but I have much more established conditions now too. But man, the first week or two was a bit rough getting them to stay in.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 6:33:12 PM EDT
[#12]
I use rubbermaid tubs too.  I agree with others. Worms dont like light.   I made mine where i can rotate the bottom bin out, get the poo, then add it back on top when the tub is ready to empty.  It takes 3tubs.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top